Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 3:26:29 PM EDT
I can't recall any outright victory a muslim nation has had since the crusades. These guys just seem to get their asses handed to them over and over again.

All I can think of that comes simi-close is Egypt in the 70s pushing the Israelis back. But that wasn't a spanking of any form of the word.

So do they suck or am I missing something?

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever hear of World War 1?

Read The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by T E Lawrence.

Admittedly "led" by an Englishman, but there are plenty of Turks who would disagree with you, except they're all dead.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Khartoum?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
"NAME THE LAST MUSLIM VICTORY."

i got nuthin'....
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
So I got something from the Bible from Bear and some English pansy led some turks..

Is that it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, not exactly.

Lawrence led the indiginous Arab tribes against the Turks, who were trained and equipped by the Germans.

Pretty stunning and one-sided victory, it surprised not only the Turks, but everyone else as well.

So it was a stunning rout of a modern army by a ragtag band of untrained, poorly equipped horse and camel riding desert roaming arabs which occurred roughly 75 years ago.

If that's not what you're looking for...

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Citadel thats good and actually I knew that. Though I haven't heard an example of a Muslim Country without any outer influence or leadership succeed.

So is there any examples of a Muslim Country that did it on their own?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Afghanistan,(against the Russians).

Somalia,( against the the Rangers). Well, I wouldn't consider it a victory, but for them it was like winning WWII.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
What about Gallipoli?

-SS
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't recall any outright victory a muslim nation has had since the crusades. These guys just seem to get their asses handed to them over and over again.
View Quote

The Turks took over what is now Turkey, finishing off the Byzantines, and followed through into Europe. They later had a defensive victory in ww1 (mentioned here) at Gallipoli (albeit with German help).

Also mentioned, the Mahdi's forces massacred Gordon's small force at Khartoum, Sudan,  forcing the Brits to send an army and eliminate him in return.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides the Afghanistans, who we helped, the Muslims in the Balkans did a lot of damage to the Serbs. Again we helped THE MUSLIMS.

But the Muslims have a rather unique history of winnning wars. This is why the Muslims in the Middle East survived the Crusades. This is why there was a Ottoman Empire.

Don't write these crazy fuckers off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The Algerians kicked the French out.  (OK, so the French aren't exactly first rate opponents. [;)])

The KLA kicked the Serbs out of Kossovo (with a little help from Clinton [rolleyes]).

The Chechens fought the Russians to a draw.

The muslim Sudanese government is more-or-less keeping the southern rebels in check.

Hezbollah eventually forced the Israelis to withdraw from Lebanon.

The Turks pushed the Greeks off part of Cyprus in 1974.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top