Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2010 12:05:50 PM EDT
Another announcement just opened up on usajobs for those that are interested.  

Who here would want to do this job?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't mind doing that job, but I don't want to live anywhere near the southern border.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind doing that job, but I don't want to live anywhere near the southern border.

Can I choose to live near the northern border
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have to habla? If so I'm out. But I would totally move down there and do it if not. I hate the cold and I've been thinking a lot more about the southwest lately.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They are underpaid and underappreciated. That said, it is an honorable job
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This, and in this political climate under this administration it wouldnt be a job for me. God Bless those that do it though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I was actually planning on joining a few years back. Bought a bunch of books on them, started reading up. Then the .gov fucked over Ramos & Compean. Nixed those plans.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are underpaid and under-appreciated. That said, it is an honorable job

This, and in this political climate under this administration it wouldn't be a job for me. God Bless those that do it though.

This admin would be happy to prosecute BP agents at the slightest hint of controversy.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
How is the money?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, and in this political climate under this administration it wouldnt be a job for me. God Bless those that do it though.

+1

Very nicely stated sir.  God Bless them indeed.    
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They actually get paid more than you think. Get promoted to 12's now. Your looking at close to $100,000 a year with your AUO in just a few years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
That whole speaking spanish thing is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My buddy applied last year and got denied during the background process. He was fired from a retail store once for theft, of which they had no evidence, just a blatant lie to get rid of him. That got him removed. So be aware they are very picky. He scored in the top 5% of the test takers there and does not speak spanish and was placed pretty high on a initial list.

Good luck to all that apply.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
They wont let you do your job. It's a total waste of time in my honest opinion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I spent the time . Took the test. Got into the hiring pool. Had a 89.4 and vets preference..... All last year...... Not a frigging word.... Yeah.... Be prepared to waste your time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I spent the time . Took the test. Got into the hiring pool. Had a 89.4 and vets preference..... All last year...... Not a frigging word.... Yeah.... Be prepared to waste your time.

people have had to wait from 1-3 years on average.. it's most likely not you, they just take forever and a day
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You and me both friend, I scored a 96, hablo espanol and have nothing in my background. About every 10 weeks I get a notice that I'm in the hiring inventory and that's it. I've moved on at this point.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea I know people that waited 2 years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Just signed up. So the wait is up to 3 years? Do people like this gig?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just signed up. So the wait is up to 3 years? Do people like this gig?

Depends on the station you get.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Took the test in 05, got DQed for allergies... might give it a shot again.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Do you have to be a U.S. citizen?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
They will "teach" you Spanish in the academy.  And by teach, I mean you will learn how to perform (in the Spanish language) tasks used in your duties.  You will probably not be able to carry on a full conversation in Spanish, unless you already habla or have studied it before.

This past year before the hiring freeze they had several northern border spots opened up.  But they will always need agents on the southern border.  You'll learn to love the heat
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
20 push ups in 1 min

25 situps in 1 min

and a 5min "step test" on a 14in step...in cadence (120steps/min)

Pretty rigorous

Knew one at Bragg...said he got in more firefights while in the BP than he did in his 20years in SF...

I've seen a year's worth of sigacts on the border (TX to CA)...those guys are BUSY!  Seems like a cool job.

ETA: 2nd PFT is
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you have to be a U.S. citizen?

YES!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#25]
So would it compare to working for a large PD as far as being busy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So would it compare to working for a large PD as far as being busy?

Depends on where you are stationed.  Northern border could be like watching the grass grow or paint dry.  Nogales, AZ - strap on your armor and make sure you have extra ammo
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sweet. This gives me time to get some school done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you have a bachelor's degree, you can make close to 100,000....
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a degree doesnt do anything for your promotions or pay grade.  Everyone promotes the same, GS 5,7,9,11.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a degree doesnt do anything for your promotions or pay grade.  Everyone promotes the same, GS 5,7,9,11.

Yea, but you can start out as a 7 with a degree.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#31]
So lets say I pass the test and the background check. How soon would I be going to the academy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
If I could move, I'd look into it again. Right now though, I have a house I can't sell that would eat me alive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I did it for 25 years, never felt underpaid, don't remember not being able to do the job and never have felt that it was a waste of time. Perhaps things have changed in the seven years I've been retired.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm on the verge of applying, but it ain't worth it knowing there's someone in washington painting a bullseye on my back.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Join up boys...its not just a job...its an adventure
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, but you can start out as a 7 with a degree.

True, but either way, if you're a 5 or a 7 you're still a broke ass nugget.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So lets say I pass the test and the background check. How soon would I be going to the academy?

I've heard of people leaving as fast as 3 months. They finish background while attending the academy. I think a more realistic timeframe would be about a year. It all depends on your score, how many classes they're pushin through, and where you're going. Second hand info-could all be BS...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How is the money?

I was talking to a customs and border patrol dude at my work and he said it starts at like 31,000
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the money?

I was talking to a customs and border patrol dude at my work and he said it starts at like 31,000

That dude musta been a baaad mutha fucka, seein' as how he was Customs AND Border Patrol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Not willing to live somewhere with no snow in the winter. Otherwise I'd consider it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not willing to live somewhere with no snow in the winter. Otherwise I'd consider it.

Yea, not to much snow in the South.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd do it if I didn't have to learn mexican.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd do it if I didn't have to learn mexican.

Some of the agents barely speak spanish, they just know the catch phrases.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the money?

That dude musta been a baaad mutha fucka, seein' as how he was Customs AND Border Patrol.

The training facility not far from my house in Harpers Ferrry is called ' US Customs and Border Patrol '
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the money?

The training facility not far from my house in Harpers Ferrry is called ' US Customs and Border Patrol '

Border Patrol's academy is at the FLETC in Artesia, New Mexico.   Customs is at the FLETC in Georgia I believe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They actually get paid more than you think. Get promoted to 12's now. Your looking at close to $100,000 a year with your AUO in just a few years.
Define "a few years." Buddy of mine started in the low $30's and five years later, he's barely in the $50's.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "a few years." Buddy of mine started in the low $30's and five years later, he's barely in the $50's.

Yeah but with excellenet benefits, a retirement plan and job you can't get fired from?
Where else you gonna find that in the civilian world? Most of the defense contractors don't have a deal like that anymore.
I don't know what type of announcement this most recent one is but there's the standard application process to become and Agent and an expedited one.
I've been in the standard enrollment process now for about 2 1/2 years but am getting very close to the end. I added about 8-9 months to my process because of a medical waiver I needed and an injury I got recently.
If you apply during an expedited process you'll get word back from your background investigation in about 3 months then its probably 6-10 months after that until you get called up about the academy.
I've taken another, much crappier.gov in the meantime waiting for this to happen but I should know soon if I'll be wearing Green or not...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but with excellenet benefits, a retirement plan and job you can't get fired from?

Where else you gonna find that in the civilian world? Most of the defense contractors don't have a deal like that anymore.

I don't know what type of announcement this most recent one is but there's the standard application process to become and Agent and an expedited one.

I've been in the standard enrollment process now for about 2 1/2 years but am getting very close to the end. I added about 8-9 months to my process because of a medical waiver I needed and an injury I got recently.

If you apply during an expedited process you'll get word back from your background investigation in about 3 months then its probably 6-10 months after that until you get called up about the academy.

I've taken another, much crappier.gov in the meantime waiting for this to happen but I should know soon if I'll be wearing Green or not...I

I'm not contesting the benefits, or the job stability. The only civilian career that offers as much (if not more) stability is the medical field. I was just question the source of being able to make $100K in a few years. Either case, good luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the money?

LOL

he calls himself customs and border patrol, IDK how the feds operate
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top