Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 9:59:50 AM EDT
I have a large desiccant silicone bead container and am wondering if it's be better to put it in the top  or bottom of the safe. In a controlled situation, does humidity (moisture) rise or fall?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
i do heating and air and have never heard that question be asked. i would say put it up top because heat rises and would think it would suck up more moisture at the top then the bottom. you should conduct a experiment and report back.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Fucking humidity...

IBKJ
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i do heating and air and have never heard that question be asked. i would say put it up top because heat rises and would think it would suck up more moisture at the top then the bottom. you should conduct a experiment and report back.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

If I had two really accurate humidity monitors I could put one in the top and bottom but I don't have the money for that unfortunately.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Better put it on the bottom. I've used these in the forward cabin of my boat and they fill up with water surprisingly fast, would be bad to have it overflow and spill on your guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Golden Rod. Have one in my safe.  

click here

Just turn it on during high humidity periods and be done with the rest.

EBR666
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Not exactly the same thing but im also big time into cigars. When storing in a large cabinet it is widley understood that the highest level of humidity will be at the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of those plug in deals, you leave it in the safe and when it turns pink you plug it back in to recharge it, works like a champ here in humid florida.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think that since humid air would be more dense that the higher the humidity the more it would fall???

I use a golden rod in my safe.

J-
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

click here

EBR666

The problem with the Golden rod is I don't have a hole in my safe to put the power cord through. Also I don't want to drill a hole.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have one of those plug in deals, you leave it in the safe and when it turns pink you plug it back in to recharge it, works like a champ here in humid florida.

Those gadgets are just silicon beads with a few dyed ones that turn from blue to pink when they get 6% filled up. The plug in part is just a small heater that heats up all the beads releasing the moisture.

Same as my silicon bead sit up I just have to recharge my beads in the oven.

Good to know they work well in FL (I should have no issues in AZ then). Do you have a humidity sensor on there?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Arizona?  You don't have humidity in Arizona.  I know.  When I got off the plane there from humid Missouri, I damn near shriveled up and blew away.  I wasn't there 10 minutes before I was desperately searching for chap stick and moisturizer.  I'd never used chap stick and moisturizer before in my life.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Walmart sells battery powered digital recording hygrometers for about $9 ea in their hardware department.  It records the current, plus the high and low humidity and temperature for the last 24 hours.  Its about the size of a pack of cigarettes and has a magnetic base to stick on the side of the safe, top and/or bottom.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the walmart tip. I'll check them out tonight or tomorrow.

And yes there is no humidity in PHX but my safe is in the Master closet which is kinda in the bathroom too. Best place for it unfortunately. A plus to that is when gf or I are taking showers the bathroom door must be kept open (Clear shower door )
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

click here

EBR666

The problem with the Golden rod is I don't have a hole in my safe to put the power cord through. Also I don't want to drill a hole.

I thought that too, but any steel drill bit can put a tiny 1/4" hole through your safe back, then once the cord is through, they have a "snap in" type plug part you connect to the wires, so the hole doesn't have to be nearly as big as the plug, only as big as the cord.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Better put it on the bottom. I've used these in the forward cabin of my boat and they fill up with water surprisingly fast, would be bad to have it overflow and spill on your guns.

I'm faaaaaaaaaairly certain that once he closes the door to his safe it won't contain anywhere near as much humidity (especially if it's inside the house, i.e. not the garage) as a boat.

ETA: Fog sits close to the ground, correct?  That would make me think putting it at the bottom would be best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

click here

EBR666

I thought that too, but any steel drill bit can put a tiny 1/4" hole through your safe back, then once the cord is through, they have a "snap in" type plug part you connect to the wires, so the hole doesn't have to be nearly as big as the plug, only as big as the cord.

Interesting. Good design on their part.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

click here

EBR666

Have this in my safe.  Have rusty guns in my safe.  

Will be adding desiccant whenever I buy some.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Update 9-7

Well I bought two humidity readers and put one in the top and one in the bottom of the safe. They read the same after I left them alone for a few hours. Interestingly enough, The safe is in the bathroom closet and when showering the top humidity goes up to the 50%s and the bottom stays in the lower 40%s temporarily. I only tested this once so it may be coincidence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, nice avatar
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Warm air rises. It will also hold more moisture. Humidity is expressed as a percentage of the moisture that air at a particular temperature will absorb. When air cools, it will tend to deposit or condense moisture on cooler surfaces first. Make sure that is not your guns. The proximity of the bathroom causes a hot/cold cycle and is a source of moisture. That is your biggest problem, not the particular temperature and humidity. Get the goldenrod and throw a blanket over the safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually water vapor (humid air) is less dense than cold dry air.

Taking off in a cold, dry climate...a plane will leap into the air.

If you ever have a hot, humid day in Denver, you'll burn up a lot of runway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top