Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/19/2010 8:06:04 AM EDT
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/jul/16/6-wheels-many-missions/

Residents will have no question about who is around when they see the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office new, unmistakable vehicle.

Through a Homeland Security grant, the WCSO was able to obtain a Light Armored Vehicle-300.

The LAV-300 will be managed by members of the WCSO and will serve 11 counties.

“We got this at no cost to Wichita County,” said Sheriff David Duke. The WCSO invested $150 in paint and decals, but otherwise had put no money toward it — and those funds came out of the forfeiture fund.

The vehicle is six-wheel drive, weighs 29,000 pounds and has a Cummings 270 HP V-8 turbocharged diesel engine, according to a WCSO news release.

Sgt. 1st Class Eric O’Bar said the vehicle serves the military in several capacities that can translate to law enforcement. “It’s an urban warfare mobile vehicle that keeps our soldiers safe,” he said.

“This is used for reconnaissance missions,” he named as one use.

Features aboard the vehicle that can assist law enforcement include use as a mobile command center, a thermal imaging system and 360-degree security.

It can hold 12 people, including one driver, one gunner and a truck commander. The military weapons were removed from the vehicle, but

the raised platforms from which they were fired still remain.

It can travel up to 60 mph on land, Duke said he was told, but no one at the WCSO had taken it over 50 mph yet. “We do get a lot of strange looks,” he said. “And a lot of people pulling out camera phones in intersections.”

It can travel in water at about 3 mph. “It can float to a certain extent,” O’Bar said.

During the blizzard in December 2009, one of the “saving graces” for the WCSO was the help of a military-style vehicle. Duke used that idea to work toward the 10-33 program that helped supply the vehicle.

“The vehicle is a Special Response Unit and will be used for extreme weather situations such as blizzards, floods, wild land fire evacuation, hostage rescues and tactical operations,” a WCSO news release states.

The LAV-300 was the second military vehicle to be named after an enlisted soldier. It was named after two brothers with the last name of Striker died in World War II, O’Bar said.

These 11 counties are very rural located in North Central TX. Personally I think he just wants to be king if SHTF. On the upside these counties are all on our northern border with Oklahoma so maybe it will help keep them from illegally crossing the Red River after secession.

ETA: 392 miles from closest Mexican Border

more pics:

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Personally I think he just wants to be king if SHTF.

Not gonna happen with that IFS piece of shit.  It'll break on the first rock it finds.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
More thrown away war on drug money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
How the fuck does using that in a recon role in the military translate to doing the same for LEO...are they going to start doing freakin stake outs in that thing...seriously folks, just say you wanted a new damn toy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Why did they remove the machine guns?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
That's not a tank! but just as uber cool.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If any LEO should be given those, it should be those on the border towns with Mexico.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No doubt. This is one of those multi-county task forces that were so well funded but fell out of favor after a rogue undercover working for the one up in Tulia arrested half the black males in town with planted coke.

but to be fair... there's a lot of rural meth grown in the Wichita Falls surrounding area and none of the local departments are very well funded on their own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If any LEO should be given those, it should be those on the border towns with Mexico.

Those border towns can get some

They may already have them.

Lots of special response teams want/need an armored vehicle
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am betting 1 RPG would turn that into molten scrap.  You will not find RPGs for the most part in CONUS, the Mexican border being on the wrong end of an RPG is a real possibility.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
And AutoZone has all the parts they will need to keep it on the road....

LMAO

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Not exactly a tank.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a direct result of the war on drugs people. Legislating morality is resulting in the militarization of our police depts, and will most likely bite us in the ass one day.

Wake the fuck up people
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
“We got this at no cost to Wichita County,”

Glad I got to pay for it. Fucking assholes could have bought a BRDM for less.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

yes more or less. cops and firefighters love their toys. i suspect that some of the newer fire engines and mobile command posts cost more than the old fire stations.

around here, when they have a medical emergency, they role a fire truck and a huge medical support truck.

one of the reasons municipalities have tax shortfalls is because of things like this.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
They're going to ramp-up their "No-Knocks".
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Already had to add thicker armor on the kill dozer, now I have to up grade the guns....................fuck
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a direct result of the war on drugs people. Legislating morality is resulting in the militarization of our police depts, and will most likely bite us in the ass one day.

Wake the fuck up people

I guess that whole "Killdozer" stunt had some unintended consequenses. Let's face it, the "militarized" police are not at war with the people, but the police-the government, will ALWAYS be better armed than the population. How else would they ENFORCE the law? I doubt that you will see this thing being used on traffic stops.

ETA: Killdozer beat me by one post.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

Not only that.  Local taxes will have to be raised just to support the maintenance and training.  

Wait, though, maybe they can just use their granted property seizure powers to fund it.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

That may be the case but between the threat of terrorism and the invasion from south of our border its probably a good thing they have these.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let's face it, the "militarized" police are not at war with the people,

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

That may be the case but between the threat of terrorism and the invasion from south of our border its probably a good thing they have these.

We don't need that thing to catch illegals.
Drug dealers on the border? That goes right back to my original statement.
Terrorism? Fuck that shit. Not swallowing that pill.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like a good deal to me.  They recycled old USG property and saved money in the process.  The alternative is to buy a new Lenco Bearcat POS that costs 250K and can't drive off paved roads.  

Armored vehicles save lives.  They give the officers options other than firepowering their way through a situation...IE mobile cover.

Armored vehicles=Mobile Bullet Stopping Cover.  That allows downed officer/citizen rescue recovery in active shooter situations, ability to move when you have a barricaded gunman, ability to breach walls when you believe doors are boobytrapped, ect.  Ask the officers in N Hollywood who had to use crown vics to do a downed officer rescue under fire if they would have liked to have had one of those...  

All in all, for about 200 bucks, the People of that area just gained a lot of extra security and capability.  More tools means more options before you have to firepower your way through a situation.  Good deal all around IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I want
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

COC keeps me from calling you stupid, so I'll just come out and ask, Are you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for wasting even more of our tax dollars.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#28]

LOL. This was my first thought as well.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#29]
what a joke. i wonder if that fat fck can even fit in there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So dumping it into the ocean would have been better?

Some of ya'll are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]

i was gonna ask if that was the same kind that got blown away in die hard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not 1 dollar of tax money went to this...  It would have cost more to Demil it than what it cost to transfer it.

Read the article...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Stop hating.

Every one of us wants one to play with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#36]
They can not hold that many people.   At most you can fit 7...ant that is a VERY tight squeeze.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Stop hating.

Actually, I'd like 2 of them.  I wonder how they are in the snow?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

I'dhazard a bet you are more likely to be killed by lightning than by a terrorist.  I love how when the correct "buzz word" is used peolpel overlook shit that should bug them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stop hating.

No doubt!

And for the record Wichita County is on our North Central border with Oklahoma. 392 miles from the closest Mexican border town.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KgBT8kIRgBo/SGFwFjQA07I/AAAAAAAACqU/C_HMT7jvhIM/s320/Trophy+BearCat.jpg

I saw on the news last night that they were using a fullsize truck with grates over the windows to keep the glass from breaking.
I would rather spend the money on fence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 1 dollar of tax money went to this...  It would have cost more to Demil it than what it cost to transfer it.

Read the article...

It was demilled, you would know that if you read the article.  Sell it to any number of foreign nations that would buy it.  Keep it in service or use it for spare parts.  Sell it on the .gov auction site to a collector.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am betting 1 RPG would turn that into molten scrap.  You will not find RPGs for the most part in CONUS, the Mexican border being on the wrong end of an RPG is a real possibility.

Think lower tech...it has tires, and no weapons system, I wouldnt take that into an urban fight...I could have a mobility kill on it in less than 5 minutes and then the crew is getting cooked...armored vehicled without supporting fires from a second IFV and dismounted infantry support are completely vulnerable to attack..this is why tanks and Bradleys always operate in teams and with infantry..one guy with a explosive charge or a molotov in the right place can fuck up your day...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And AutoZone has all the parts they will need to keep it on the road....

LMAO

Yeah I was wondering who they take it to for servicing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So dumping it into the ocean would have been better?

Some of ya'll are ridiculous.

Selling it, keeping it in service or just parting it out for spares would have been better. What is ridiculous is the idea that the only options are giving it to some cops or dumping it in the ocean.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think lower tech...it has tires, and no weapons system, I wouldnt take that into an urban fight...I could have a mobility kill on it in less than 5 minutes and then the crew is getting cooked...

Home brewed thermite???

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COC keeps me from calling you stupid, so I'll just come out and ask, Are you?

Stupid is as stupid does. Militarization of police is something that has no place in a free country.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wake the fuck up people

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KgBT8kIRgBo/SGFwFjQA07I/AAAAAAAACqU/C_HMT7jvhIM/s320/Trophy+BearCat.jpg

I saw on the news last night that they were using a fullsize truck with grates over the windows to keep the glass from breaking.
I would rather spend the money on fence.

The damaged windows are from gun shots not rocks.

Fine, if that is true, then put the thing on the border, not 400 miles away from it in some police depts. garage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop hating.

No doubt!

And for the record Wichita County is on our North Central border with Oklahoma. 392 miles from the closest Mexican border town.

Maybe the Cartel has SCUDs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top