Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 12:05:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, no, it doesn't.

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=573&e=7&u=/nm/20020405/od_nm/transplant_dc_1[/url]
[b]Palestinian Given Israeli Bomb Victim's Kidneys[/b]
[i]Fri Apr 5,10:38 AM ET[/i]

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A Palestinian woman received the kidneys of an Israeli victim of a suicide attack in a transplant operation.

The victim, Zeev Vidor, died of his wounds a week after the attack by a Palestinian suicide bomber at a hotel in the seaside resort of Netanya as Israelis sat down for a traditional feast at the start of the Jewish Passover holiday.

His family allowed his organs to be donated and recipients included Aisha Abu Said, 54, who lives in the Jerusalem suburb of Shuafat. The operation was performed Thursday in the Beilinson Hospital in the town of Petah Tikvah.

Abu Said's son Khader, a truck driver, said he had not been aware that the organ donor was a victim of a suicide bombing.

"Only today did I learn that my mother benefited from the victim of the Netanya attack. [b]The family deserves better. I hope they think my thanks are sincere," Khader said.[/b]

Palestinian militants have killed scores of Israelis in suicide bombings as part of a more than 18-month-old uprising against Israeli occupation. Israel has occupied major West Bank towns in an offensive it says is intended to end the attacks.
View Quote

I would also like to point out that according to the article you quote, Dave, the Jewish family was offered the choice of refusing to donate to an Arab.  I think that says a lot about the Israelis' "ethics" -- that individual family obviously has strong morals, but the hospital service that dared to offer them a choice is run by scum.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Given the climate there right now the hospital was acting prudently.
View Quote

"Prudently", by allowing the family to decide whether or not someone else was going to live??

So, if they were hardliners, it would have been morally right for the hospital to let the Israeli family decide to let the old lady either remain on dialysis or die?

That's quite a sense of ethics you have there.  I take it that you feel it should be ok for American hospitals to allow KKK members who are donating organs decide whether or not the organs can go to blacks and Jews, then.  Or blacks decide whether whitey can live or not.  Do transplant recipients get to decide whether they get blood from blacks or Jews too?  (Like that old M*A*S*H episode where some wounded soldier demands that he not be given any blood from black people.)
The point of the story, since it seems that I have to point it out to you, is that the Israelie family didn't care, however a pal family would have let an israelie die.
View Quote

And you know this how, exactly??

Seems to me that there is some species called an "Israeli Arab" -- which side do you lump them in on?
Give me a break, why do people like you always have to find the negative.
View Quote

Funny, I thought YOU were the one who was "find[ing] the negative" by assuming, implying, and finally outright stating that Palestinians would have let an Israeli die, despite no evidence of that beyond your own prejudices.

And I thought YOU were the one who was claiming that it is morally right that the hospital gave donors a choice of whether to let someone else live or die, based solely on their own prejudices.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top