Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
go get a 36'
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
36"HELL get a  60"C'mon you know you want it!![}:D]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you do, don't buy anything Sony.  They are over-priced and a bunch of jerks to deal with if you have a warranty problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a 16:9 aspect ratio digital TV.  When you get HDTV in your area, you can add a HDTV receiver.  The digital tv's have a much sharper image than the analog sets.  If you have a DVD player, the DVD's that are enhanced for the 16:9 tv's will fill the entire screen.  No more black bands above and below the picture, like in a letterbox movie.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a 43" 16x9 HDTV compatible unit for between $1500 and $1800 these days.  You can also get a 50" - 55" standard aspect HDTV compatible in the same price range.  As Nike says, "Just do it."
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Toshiba 36" and have been very happy with it. It even lived thru a lightning strike at my house where many other things fried.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey DVDTracker... You may want to wait ... There have been at least 5 different HDTV formats and none of them have been totally adopted... or to say one hasn't been decided on yet.

The Plan is that every tv format in the next 3 to 5 years is "suppose" to be going to the 16:9 aspect ratio. So if your going to keep this tv for more than 3 to 5 that might want to think of this.

Also Sony is trying to encrypt thier HDTVs using a firewire connector with scrambling in their new sets. (At least they have said they would in the next year.) So if this is a concern to you may want to lay off buying the HDTV for a cheaper tube. (For the time being)

Another interesting point is the many (most) of the HDTVs out there are not doing a pure 1000 line res. (1080i) In fact many are really doing 600 to 800. Most of these though are the older 4:5 ratios.

If you must.. The Phillips Matchline III 30 & 32" 16:9 ratio tubes do a true 1050 line. Have component, 2 non HDTV built in tuners, and is setup for a future HDTV tuner(whenever they makeup their mind) , 5 inputs (S,RCA,Component and Optical.

I know this may or may not help but good luck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a 13" set with built in VCR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
DVDTracker, try [url]www.ubid.com[/url].

My grandfather is a freak about this site... He picked up a Refurbished 66" Toshiba HDTV for $2500. The damn thing is amazing, especially hooked up to an X-Box.

He also got a 55" toshiba for downstairs for around $1200... it's hard to beat those prices.  All the stuff is refurbished, but I couldn't tell they weren't new.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
TV, you don't need no stinking TV.  Go take the $ you were about to spend on a new TV and buy a .50 cal.  Then use the 50 cal to blow the TV to smithereens.  Use a nice heavy tarp underneath and pickup your mess once you are done.

PS.  What is a smithereen?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet, the original or the carbine model?  If it arrives in time, you HAVE to bring that to the BRC.  NO excuses, go buy another Pelican 1750.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.proton-usa.com/[/url]

Dave S
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
We've gotta 52 inch wide screen flat panel TV with surround sound and dvd.. oh man...!!!

Fun way to get rid of your tv?

Take it to a field.. place it on a tarp...

shoot the shit out of it...

(tarp is laid down so you can have a proper clean upw ithout leaving glass all over the place..)

hehehehheeh Buy a 36" too!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn it, my Sony 19" is on the fritz. I need to upgrade to a new tv-does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to get a 36" hdtv and not take out a second mortgage. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m with osprey21, good riddance to TV.  Why allow the brainwashing in your home?  Make no mistake, they call it programming for a reason.   I know, I know, you all like the history channel or Discovery channel.  A waste of time. When I go running in the evening I see the ere blue glow coming from 90% of the living rooms.  All the good Americans sitting down for their nightly “programming”, giving up conscious thought. Obedient zombies.  Do you all really think the producers are not packing a bunch of subliminal programming in the eye candy?  Subliminal programming technology has been around for 20+ years.  

You know, I don’t even have a TV in my house.  I don’t even know where I would find the time to watch it.  

Go ahead and flame me, I know its coming… [V]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a 16:9 aspect ratio digital TV.  When you get HDTV in your area, you can add a HDTV receiver.  The digital tv's have a much sharper image than the analog sets.  If you have a DVD player, the DVD's that are enhanced for the 16:9 tv's will fill the entire screen.  No more black bands above and below the picture, like in a letterbox movie.

Vulcan94
View Quote

I'd wait on any HDTV purchase.  Our friends in Hollyweird are insisting on copy protection at the DISPLAY point.  This means that, if they get their way, new HDTVs (and broadcasts) will be incompatible with those purchased today.   If so, you will need to get a MAJOR refit on your electronics.  HDTV is great, but it really isn't a "standard" yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Ain't nothin' like a bigscreen Mitsubishi. Heres my 55. I'd have a bigger one if my house wasn't so small.

[img]http://www.ricktoberfest.com/sugar/S3.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m with osprey21, good riddance to TV.  Why allow the brainwashing in your home?  Make no mistake, they call it programming for a reason.   I know, I know, you all like the history channel or Discovery channel.  A waste of time. When I go running in the evening I see the ere blue glow coming from 90% of the living rooms.  All the good Americans sitting down for their nightly “programming”, giving up conscious thought. Obedient zombies.  Do you all really think the producers are not packing a bunch of subliminal programming in the eye candy?  Subliminal programming technology has been around for 20+ years.  

You know, I don’t even have a TV in my house.  I don’t even know where I would find the time to watch it.  

Go ahead and flame me, I know its coming… [V]
View Quote

Geez, what's wrong with a little harmless escapism from time to time? It's entertainment. And there's a fair amount of good, informative, and educational programs, too. Also, TV sets can be used for more than just watching broadcast shows. Ever hear of VCRs, DVD players, home movies, or video games?

Do you not go to movies, attend sporting events, pay attention to politics, etc, either? These are all things that TV can bring closer to us to enjoy on our terms.

I don't think TV is something that should be overindulged, but there's nothing wrong with watching it every now and then. All it takes is a little self control. Maybe that's the root of your problem with TV....
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top