Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 4:02:23 AM EDT
The 1903 bug is biting. Out of the models offered, 1903, 1903A3, low serial, high serial, Springfield, Rock Island, ... which model would be best to add to a collection? Say if I bought two, which two?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard the best shooters are probably the 1903A3 Smith Corona w/ C stock or a 1903 high-numbered Springfield w/ C stock.

It's difficult to say if they will become real collectors items as they are all rebuilds, however I heard the 1903A3 Remingtons are most likely to have all original parts, but even that's a roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
They really "found" a bundle.  I wonder how someone looses all those rifles?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a 1903 Mk 1, it is mint, and a dream to shoot.  I've heard that the C-stock is much more comfortable to shoot, but I've always been a fan of the straight style.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Now I'm kinda thinking you are probably more likely to find an original specimen through private party sales. I saw some nice examples on Auction Arms in the $500-$800 range. Not refinished or arsenel reworked, and many with the appropriate cartouches on the stocks.

At least that way you get to see pictures as opposed to whatever the picker grabs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to own an 03a3 with S (straight) stock.  I sold it about a year ago. The rear sight was adjustable for windage with the usual click method, but elevation was a pain in the butt.  

You have to loosen a screw, then move the peep site up or down the ladder, then tighten it down again...then loosen it again, adjust some more, tighten it back down...you get the point.  

Which sight system do you all feel is better for target shooting?  Notch (earlier models) or aperature (03a3)?  

If memory serves, I remember reading something about how the notch was prefered for target work (the NM 03's were notch sites?), but for combat "center of mass" aiming the aperature sights on the 03a3 were better.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
CMP guns are almost always a best buy. You can pay double buying from a collector/dealer.

The original 03' guns are my favorite, HOWEVER buy one with a 800,000 or higher serial number. These were double heat treated. 30.06 of the time was less powerful than todays production 30.06. Firing 30.06 produced in the last 50 years in a low serial 03' can cause it to blow up.

The '03 Mark I were simply original Springfields set up to accept a Pederson device. This was a attempt to reconfigure the rifle as a semi auto. The Pederson device replaced the bolt and operated somewhat like the toggle action of a Luger P-08. You can identify the Mark I by receiver stampings and the ejection port milled into the left side of the receiver.

The project didn't fly, and most had the bolts replaced. This is why we ended up with the M1 Garand and not the 03' Semi Auto. Mark I's with the bolts reinserted perform exactly as unmodified 03's.

The 03A3 is more or less a mass production 03' made for use in World War II. Improvement in sights, but concessions in quiality. Mostly stampings instead of forgings.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to agree with SteyrAUG re CMP being "the deal," lately I am not so sure.  Their prices, particularly these Springfield prices, are approaching those at a gun show and at the gun show you get to inspect and tire kick what you are getting before you lay your money down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top