Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/15/2010 2:17:43 PM EDT
I've been trying to eat a little healthier.  but on the george foreman grill my chicken breasts aren't turning out all that great.  any tips?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Baked is pretty good. I like them plain with a little garlic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dillo Dust
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I always found the Foreman grill got too hot, too fast and would "burn"/dry out the exterior before cooking all the way through for your typical chicken breast.

A grill is your friend.  The possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a Jamaican jerk chicken spice and do them on the grill.. they taste really good.

Quoted:

I've been trying to eat a little healthier.  but on the george foreman grill my chicken breasts aren't turning out all that great.  any tips?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hickory BBQ.  [/ thread]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can't cook, I need specifics
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always found the Foreman grill got too hot, too fast and would "burn"/dry out the exterior before cooking all the way through for your typical chicken breast.

A grill is your friend.  The possibilities are endless.

exactly the problem
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
put the breasts in a brine overnight
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Wrap them in a pound of bacon. Then wrap the chicken-bacon log and a stick of butter with foil. Bake on 350 for a little over an hour.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a Jamaican jerk chicken spice and do them on the grill.. they taste really good.

Quoted:

add good bacon wrap and you have yard bird goodness IMO  (use a charcoal grill)
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
cut them into strips; dip in milk with a beaten egg, then into flour; chunk em in the fry daddy until golden brown. eat.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

what's brine?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have a fry daddy, plus I'm trying to eat healthier.  and it's 100 degree outside, so I'm not cooking out there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what's brine?

saltwater.

let me soak overnight in a cup of kosher salt and water.

then cook anyway you like.

will blow your mine

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. Chicken breasts are notorious for drying out.

Here's my recipe:

1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon molasses
2 cups of water

Then, go wild with the spices. I've used garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, paprika, basil, in all sorts of combinations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preheat your oven to around 350. Put the THAWED breasts in a glass pan if you have one, maybe with a little water in the bottom. Let them bake for at least 40 minutes. Check them with a knife. If the juices run clear (no blood) they are probably ready.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
We eat chicken breasts almost every weekday night as well.
1. Invest in a Weber-Q ~$140.00  it will pay for itself in a month.

2. I fillet the breasts we buy in half.  They cook faster, and the outside doesn't dry out before the inside gets done.

3. Spray them with canola cooking spray and apply a little California Sensations garlic salt and black pepper.
I am getting ready to cook some now. Mmmmm

I also make potato chip chicken.  Do an egg/milk dunk and cover chicken in crushed potato chips (cool ranch are good, corn flakes, bbq, jalapen, etc) and bake 400 for 30 minutes or so.

Not as healty, but really tasty and moist.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Put 3-4 breasts in a crock pot.  Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup + 1 can cheddar cheese soup + 1 tsp pepper in a bowl, then pour over chicken.  Cook for 8 hours on low setting, serve over brown rice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Breaded and baked, for me. Easy, too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
if you're trying to eat healthier, you'll want to watch the sodium...  I cut them up into smaller chunks (about an inch square) and simmer them in low-sodium chicken broth...  then, I add half a package of low-fat cream cheese and a can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup, and then let that simmer until the sauce is creamy...  serve that over pasta.  YUM.  in fact. that's what I'm making for dinner tonight.  got the recipe off of sparkpeople.com.  

when I'm in a rush, I just sprinkle seasonings over the chicken breasts and microwave them.  super fast, juicy, yummy.  I'll either use Italian seasoning or a cumin/cayenne/chili blend...  (no salt in either one)
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preheat your oven to around 350. Put the THAWED breasts in a glass pan if you have one, maybe with a little water in the bottom. Let them bake for at least 40 minutes. Check them with a knife. If the juices run clear (no blood) they are probably ready.

Hmm...yeah, that's about the most bland way to eat chicken, ever.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
In for new recipes because i eat chicken breast at least every other day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Funny thread because I just made 5 in a Weber kettle.  Lump charcoal and cherry wood chips cooked for 1.5 hours made for incredibly juicy chicken.

Grilling doesn't add any fat.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Soak it in this for 1-2 days:
Blend this all up:
2 C buttermilk
1/4 C virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 T chopped FRESH rosemary
1 T kosher salt
1 T FRESHLY cracked pepper
4-5 basil leaves

After soaking, let excess run off, dust with bread crumbs, some granulated onion and garlic, some salt and pepper. Sprinkle with thyme.

Bake at 375-400F for about an hour. I cooked this with the ribs on so it'll cook a lot faster if it's just the meat. Cover with foil if the outside starts to get too browned. After taking it out, let it sit 10 minutes under the foil to rest.
Serve and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are two of my favorite recipes, they're very simple to cook.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd just like to avoid adding a bunch of butter and breading...
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Two quarts cold water, 1/4 cup salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, a few squirts of lemon juice, and a teaspoon of hot sauce.

The breasts soak for not more than 1 hour. Rinse. Dry. Spray with pam spray.

Foreman grill.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#28]
marinade in italian dressing for awhile, and then put them on a grill.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to cook but if you are looking for simple and healthy just pick up some shake and bake and follow the instructions for the oven.  They make a good spicy mix.  Use them for sammiches or salads, healhier than adding bacon and or butter.  YMMV.

George foreman grills suck, they dry everything out and stink up the whole house.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Once you brine it, you can bake or grill the chicken. no added fat.

I bake chicken drumsticks at 375 for 40 minutes in a toaster oven after soaking 2 days in the brine I posted earlier. Boneless skinless thighs or breasts go on the grill...
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then these are your friends.

Marinade in a zip lock bag...spice packet, 1/4c olive oil, 1/4c water, let set overnight.  Comes out great.  I'm a fan of the Chipotle flavor for chicken.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I concur.........
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Rub with chili powder with a little cayenne pepper and grill.

Yummm.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Fillet so you're working with thinner pieces –– they cook faster.  Marinate in low-fat Italian salad dressing - just enough to cover - and dust with garlic powder.  Let sit for a half an hour (enough time to prep the veggies).  Cook in pan over medium-high heat.  Turn when edge has turned white.  Cook until done.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of ways to make chicken. Like you I am taking my health in consideration so I mostly grill my chicken. I avoid high calorie sauces and marinades and opt for a rub/spice low in sodium. My current favorite is Weber Kickin' Chicken. Rinse and pat dry the breast. Put about a tablespoon of olive oil on a plate and roll the breasts in it. Shake on your spice and you are ready to grill. Either that or I like to soak in lemon juice overnight and shake on some lemon pepper seaoning.

I heat up my grill as hot as it gets and the put on the chicken over direct heat. You only want it to grill at this temperature long enough to add grill marks. On my grill this is usually accomplished at about 3 minutes per side. From there I turn down the grill to the low-medium setting move the chicken to the upper shelf to get it away from the direct heat. If you don't have an upper shelf moving it to the side and turning off the burner beneath it works too. Cook until your juices run clear or your internal thermometer reads about 165 degrees. For me this usually takes ~15 minutes and I usually flip once in this time period.

For me this gives a very juicy, flavorful chicken breast that I don't get tired of eating. When I wasn't as concerned about my health I used flavored butter injections and often wrapped in bacon.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Cut into bite-sized pieces, bread or batter, then deep fry.

Finish with honey mustard or hot sauce.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fillet so you're working with thinner pieces –– they cook faster.  Marinate in low-fat Italian salad dressing - just enough to cover - and dust with garlic powder.  Let sit for a half an hour (enough time to prep the veggies).  Cook in pan over medium-high heat.  Turn when edge has turned white.  Cook until done.

I think that is part of the problem.  My local grocery store gets in chicken breasts that look like they came from a friggin' turkey.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Soak in teryiaki sauce over night. Grill them on the BBQ with some pineapple slices toothpicked to the breasts.
Yum!
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#39]
pound it flat,

Stuff in baggy with BBQ sause and Liquid smoke,

Day or 2 later grill

and serve on bun or on rice

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
italian dressing over night then grilled
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Marinated in Ken's Walnut  & Raspberry Vinagrette dressing, then baked.

Yum.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that is part of the problem.  My local grocery store gets in chicken breasts that look like they came from a friggin' turkey.

Personally, I've never been able to get the smaller breasts or pounded/filletted breasts to be as juicy as the larger breasts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
chicken fry them!!!!!
tenderize them

soak in milk/egg mixture

roll them in seasoned bread crumbs
and pan fry in whatever oil you think is better

season to taste
if you pat them off on some paper towels you can get most of the oil out
anyway, not the most healthy, but very tasty

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's brine?

Tender, moist chicken breasts for the win, that's why!

ETA: Apparently I can't read worth a shit

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Just boil them.

Meat will be moist and tender.

Slap them with some Tony Chechere's and enjoy.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Have you considered a whole chicken instead of breasts?   Much cheaper per pound, and you can beer-can it.  You can even do it in the oven if you don't have a grill.
It's easy to do, and it makes WONDERFUL chicken.  You can even eat the skin, because the fat will almost all render off.
Set the oven to 350F.  Put the rack in the bottom or next-to-bottom position.

Take a beer can and drink half the beer.  Pop more holes in the top with a bottle opener if you have one.

Pour a couple of teaspoons of bbq rub into the can (make your own, or any store brand you prefer).

Apply a generous amount of the same rub to the outside of the chicken. Sprinkle some inside too.  Try to coat everywhere, but don't be too fussy about it.

Stick the beer can up into the cavity and set the chicken on it on a lipped sheet pan, using the legs to make a tripod.  Fold the wings back so they won't hang loose and burn.

Bake until the thigh meat hits 170F.

If you want a darker, crispier skin, crank the heat to 400 when the thigh meat hits about 155.

(Might want to do this first, actually, and then drop the heat to 350.  It might smoke up your kitchen if the fat's already melted off.)

Pull from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before you cut into it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Panko and bake.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Pat dry, salt, pepper, and paprika; then grill it up.

Poke it with a fork a hundred times, put it in a ziploc, add any cheap italian dressing, throw it in the fridge overnight, then cook.

Pound it flat, put ham, cheese, herbs, roll it all up into a log in saran wrap, refridgerate over night, put the whole mess into a boiling pot of water, when done remove plastic wrap, slice it up and serve it.

Buy a cookbook?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Buy a cookbook?

Hive mind > cookbook
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I run then through an egg/milk bath, then dredge through flour, cornmeal, black pepper and Lawreys salt. Then fry in lard.

wait, healthy, I have no idea
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top