Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2010 10:55:22 AM EDT
I am just wondering if 7200rpm harddrives are worth it in a laptop? I just ordered a somewhat "powerful" laptop, yet it only comes with a 5400rpm hard drive.

Now its seems useless to buy a powerful laptop, only to have hard drive slow me down.

SO would a $75 hard drive upgrade be worth it?

Alright I recieved the laptop and im experiencing some issues. When I'm browsing the internet every time i open a new tab it (internet explorer) freezes for a second, every time a page completly loads it freezes for a second before i can do anything. I'm starting to blame the 5400rpm harddrive, would that be the issue?

When I say it freezes the whole window freezes and I cannot switch between tabs.

BTW I have the i5 running at 2.8ghz so its not that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You will get some improvement but if all you do is a web serf/movies/data/ its no big deal you will only see about a 10-20mb per sec improvement could always get an SSD if you want performance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You will get some improvement but if all you do is a web serf/movies/data/ its no big deal you will only see about a 10-20mb per sec improvement could always get an SSD if you want performance.

yea. Depends if you need performance or not. If you do, get the SSD.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#3]
SSD changed my life.

Worth every damn penny.   I also yanked my DVD drive and replaced it with a drive caddy.  In there now is a magnetic drive that I use for bulk storage.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I dont like waiting for programs to open.

It has an i5 and a 5650 in it so i was hoping to play some games, and try to overclock it and see how fast i can get it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd recommend it. Unless you were going with an SSD.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well I dont like waiting for programs to open.

It has an i5 and a 5650 in it so i was hoping to play some games, and try to overclock it and see how fast i can get it.

I would upgrade to a 7200 or an SSD.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
SSD is the only one!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SSD is the only one!!

Truly how much performance does it give? Plus I would only beable to afford 100gb MAX, which would give me 50-60gb of usable space for music, documents, and games, and games currently take up 5-10gb a piece.

I bought a 10,000rpm WD raptor for my desktop, and I didnt notice a single difference other then the noise, and yet people said there is no comparison to raptors at the time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SSD is the only one!!

Truly how much performance does it give? Plus I would only beable to afford 100gb MAX, which would give me 50-60gb of usable space for music, documents, and games, and games currently take up 5-10gb a piece.

I bought a 10,000rpm WD raptor for my desktop, and I didnt notice a single difference other then the noise, and yet people said there is no comparison to raptors at the time.

They can be MUCH faster, but they are still so expensive that it is not really cost effective. A large 7200 RPM drive is best.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
the jump from 5200 to 7200 is almost insignificant compared to going from either of those to even a crappy SSD.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
SSD is the only one!!

They can be MUCH faster, but they are still so expensive that it is not really cost effective. A large 7200 RPM drive is best.

Yeah, right now i can get a western digital black 500gb for $64
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask yourself:  what is the slowest part of your system?

For Windows users, what is the lowest number on your "Windows Experience" rating?

Most likely if you have a good system, the weak link is your hard drive.  Fast CPU, blazing fast memory, mega vid card ... all slowed down by one bottleneck.  And that's usually the hard drive.

Fast drives are worth the cash if you ax me.  I am running two 7,200 rpm drives and one 5,400 rpm hard drive in my main system.  The 5,400 rpm hard drive is used for media only.  The others are used for OS and games.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
if you bought a 10k rpm drive and didn't notice a difference, then you don't need the 75 dollar upgrade.

If you did a lot of read/write operations, like a DB accessing software, I could see getting disk bound, but I wouldn't be doing that type of work on a laptop anyway.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SSD is the only one!!

An SSD makes a huge performance difference from a traditional platter hard drive.  I bought a middle of the road SSD for $120, an OCZ Agility hard drive.  It has an average seek time of .1 ms vs 8ms for a 7200.  It reads at 230 mb/s, probably double what I was getting in optimum conditions from a platter.

Windows does not defragment SSD drives, there's no point, and Windows 7 shuts off Prefetch (or is it Superfetch) because there's no point pre-loading applications into RAM, the SSD drive is almost as fast.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

SSD is the only one!!

are they a lot cheaper now with bigger capacity?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SSD is the only one!!

For me the performance enhancement was night and day.  Insane boot times, most applications are subsecond from click to open.  

A 60GB OCX Vertex II will run you in the $140 range.  Use it for OS and applications.  Take your old magnetic drive and use it for everything else.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
SSD is the only one!!

For me the performance enhancement was night and day.  Insane boot times, most applications are subsecond from click to open.  

A 60GB OCX Vertex II will run you in the $140 range.  Use it for OS and applications.  Take your old magnetic drive and use it for everything else.  

Thats the thing though. THis laptop is for college, me being sort of a geek, i got a much more powerful one then i need, but I got a 14" 4.8lb one so its nice and portable. If i need to lug around another harddrive whats the point? I could have gotten a 17" with two hard drive  bays.

Right now the only two options that sound good are a mini PCI express SSD, or taking out the DVD drive in exchange for a SSD.

Anyone know hw the mini PCI express SSD's are in comparison to the 2.5" ones?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Motherboard and disk speed are usually the two things that really make a laptop slower then a desktop with similar hardware generally speaking  but in saying that, I'm not dropping another dime on a laptop unless it has SSD.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
That's what I did.  I removed the DVD and installed a drive tray.

If I'm at home, there are about a zillion options if I need to access optical media from my laptop.  

If I am on the road, I keep a slim line usb powered DVD burner in my briefcase.  I did it to make myself feel better, but I've never used it even once.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't read the other responses, so it may have been said.

The biggest speed boost you can give a laptop now is to install a SSD in it. The question is not "if" but which SSD you will buy.

A top-end CPU with lots of RAM can't do anything if it's waiting for the hard drive to read or write, and most of the time with either mechanical drive, it is.
~
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The biggest speed boost you can give a laptop now is to install a SSD in it. The question is not "if" but which SSD you will buy.

A top-end CPU with lots of RAM can't do anything if it's waiting for the hard drive to read or write, and most of the time with either mechanical drive, it is.
~

So can I get a mini pci express one to put my OS on it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#22]
How much data you expect to be putting on it? When I put the 60gb SSD in my computer I just bought a small enclosure for the platter drive I pulled out of it.  It's small enough that I can stick it in the laptop bag if I am going to need access to the data on it, which isn't often.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

So can I get a mini pci express one to put my OS on it?

I got a RunCore mini-PCIE based SSD for my netbook (EEE 900A) to replace the slow ass SSD that came with it.

The newer RunCores match the speed of 2.5" SSDs

I paid $99 for 16gb, have ubuntu and win 7 dual booting on it with 4gb left over.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#24]
updated op
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]
updated op
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it just Internet Explorer that's causing these "freezing" issues?

Try to download another browser like Google Chrome  http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en

Do you have these issues with a different browser?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I bet there is either a driver or some OEM POS software doing that. What AV do you have?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright never mine, it was the 32bit internet explorer. The 64 bit internet explorer is blazing fast.

Im in the process of deleting all the shit that cam on it, such as Macafee (SP?). I hate anti virus software, i just created a copy of my harddrive.

Im going to install some games and other stuff to see how this thing performs.

Im still on the edge as to what i should do harddrive wise. 7200rpm WD black, or I can get the Kingston 64gb SSD for $98.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
WTF
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alright never mine, it was the 32bit internet explorer. The 64 bit internet explorer is blazing fast.

Im in the process of deleting all the shit that cam on it, such as Macafee (SP?). I hate anti virus software, i just created a copy of my harddrive.

Im still on the edge as to what i should do harddrive wise. 7200rpm WD black, or I can get the Kingston 64gb SSD for $98.

No one uses the 64-bit internet explorer, a lot of add-ons (to include Adobe Flash, MS silverlight, etc etc) don't come in 64-bit versions.  You'll end up going back to the 32-bit version of IE.  That also suggests it's an add-on that is causing your problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one uses the 64-bit internet explorer, a lot of add-ons (to include Adobe Flash, MS silverlight, etc etc) don't come in 64-bit versions.  You'll end up going back to the 32-bit version of IE.  That also suggests it's an add-on that is causing your problem.

Its really confusing me because on my desktop with windows 7 pro x64, IE 32 and IE 64 are both just as fast.

I do believe there is an internet explorer 32 bit "no add on" version under system accessories I will have to try, if that works then its definitely an add on.

I cant really do anything right now since it needs to be restarted but winrar is splitting my backup into 8gb segments to fit onto dvd's which is going to be another hour.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
You don't need to go without any antivirus.

The Microsoft Security Essentials (antivirus/spyware/whatever) seems to work pretty well, amazingly enough––it runs fast, and catches most stuff. And it's free, too.
~
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Microsoft Security Essentials (antivirus/spyware/whatever) seems to work pretty well, amazingly enough––it runs fast, and catches most stuff. And it's free, too.
~

DOes it pop up every three seconds?

My brother has zone alarm and avast, and avast is like a virus. When it needs an update it brings pop ups up every three seconds and you cant exit out of it, you need to click it to get rid of it, which brings up all kinds of links. Zone alarm brings up all kinds of messeges every time a new program is around, or when you try o access the internet.

I have no virus or spyware protection on my desktop i built. I have stopped microsoft update and firewall. I have never had an issue sincei  built it two years ago.

Maybe I will try the microsoft thing though.

As for the 32 bit internet explorer, its got to be one of the add ons, anyone have any clue what it might be, or how to find out? I tried the no add on 32 bit version and its really fast, so is mozilla firefox.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~

I use MSE on all of my home computers, and we use the corporate version of MSE (called Forefront) at work.  It doesn't pop up, it doesn't annoy you, it just sits in the corner quietly doing it's thing.  It has a very small footprint on the system, and there's been times when I've checked to see if it's running because I am not used to a antivirus package that doesn't harass you all the time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

My brother has zone alarm and avast, and avast is like a virus. When it needs an update it brings pop ups up every three seconds and you cant exit out of it, you need to click it to get rid of it, which brings up all kinds of links. Zone alarm brings up all kinds of messeges every time a new program is around, or when you try o access the internet.

I have no virus or spyware protection on my desktop i built. I have stopped microsoft update and firewall. I have never had an issue sincei  built it two years ago.

As for the 32 bit internet explorer, its got to be one of the add ons, anyone have any clue what it might be, or how to find out? I tried the no add on 32 bit version and its really fast, so is mozilla firefox.

Anti-virus programs now acts like virus. They grind and slow down you computer to a craw. The only two programs that you needs to find and take care of virus is Malwarebytes and combofix. Run malwarebytes every week or if you think you have trouble. If malwarebytes doesn't take care of the problem run combofix. Keep in mind combofix is very aggressive in what does. Both are free.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

~

Anti-virus programs now acts like virus. They grind and slow down you computer to a craw. The only two programs that you needs to find and take care of virus is Malwarebytes and combofix. Run malwarebytes every week or if you think you have trouble. If malwarebytes doesn't take care of the problem run combofix. Keep in mind combofix is very aggressive in what does. Both are free.

Malwarebytes won't fix everything once it's made it's way onto the system.  Malwarebytes is pretty effective but I've seen it unable to clean some stuff off.  

Microsoft Security Essentials  has a very light footprint, won't slow the system down and is pretty effective, and it's free.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agreed. The laptop came with Mcafee, first thing i did was remove it. Its amazing how much slower it made my brand new laptop. Funny thing is when you run the uninstall thing, it actually doesnt remove itself, you need to manually do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

~

Malwarebytes won't fix everything once it's made it's way onto the system.  Malwarebytes is pretty effective but I've seen it unable to clean some stuff off.  

Microsoft Security Essentials  has a very light footprint, won't slow the system down and is pretty effective, and it's free.  

Anything that access your harddrive will grind your computer. Anti-virus only stop a small percentage of the virus and root kit out there. They are not wroth it.

Run malwarebyte if you think you have problems or once every week. If you're still having problems run comboxfix.

BTW make sure you disable system restore. It's how the same viruses get back into your computer.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. The laptop came with Mcafee, first thing i did was remove it. Its amazing how much slower it made my brand new laptop. Funny thing is when you run the uninstall thing, it actually doesnt remove itself, you need to manually do it.

Before you give up on antivirus programs all together, at least try out Microsoft Security Essentials.  Running without a/v is just asking for trouble, malwarebytes or not.  That's just some free advice, it's worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before you give up on antivirus programs all together, at least try out Microsoft Security Essentials.  Running without a/v is just asking for trouble, malwarebytes or not.  That's just some free advice, it's worth what you paid for it.

I have not use an anti-virus program in over six years. I do not recommended my clients to use them. They have a bad habit at destroying harddrives.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not use an anti-virus program in over six years. I do not recommended my clients to use them. They have a bad habit at destroying harddrives.

That's a new one for me.......all my clients are using MSE and no complaints of slowness or failed hard drives yet and I've known plenty of clients who had wished they were using an AV program.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top