Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2010 2:25:11 PM EDT

I'm looking for a new hobby since my current hobbies of guns and video games are starting to suck in ways I could never have imagined.  I was thinking about getting into archery but I would have the same problems with that as I do with guns(No place to shoot) so I'm thinking about doing some "treasure hunting" down at the beach.

This  would be a productive hobby in that I'd be getting some exercise and I might make some money.  So I need a metal detector but what to get? My start up budget right now is about $100-$150 are there any good devices in this price range?

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Save more money, that budget wont get you too far. Heres a great resource for metal detecting info/tips and some great stories on finds
http://forum.treasurenet.com/
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Garret FTW, btw they are made locally here where I live in Garland TX.

Edit: While we are on this subject, my dad has a good buddy that bought 1200 acres on the Red River in Arkansas. Long story short he realized houses used to be on one section. Got out his metal detector and found 30 gold double eagles worth $3600 each!!! Research has taught him that in the 1800's carpet baggers lived there, and would hide there money.

That's over $100k . I wish I could find a score like that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree on the Garrett metal detector.  In your budget range, start with a Garrett ACE.  

For example:

ACE 150

or

ACE 250

You can't really go wrong with a Garrett.  I currently own detectors by Garrett, Whites, and Fisher.  I am primarily a Whites metal detector user.  I currently own two of those.  However in your range a Whites Classic 4 would be the closest thing.  In a Fisher, the F2 would be the closest starter.  Don't buy the generic Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. detectors.  They are junk.  Like the others said, Garrett would be a great way to go.

Most of using a detector is skill just like in guns.  My almost 70 year old father using his $150 Garrett ACE can out detect most young men with $1,000 metal detectors.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Garrett ACE 250.

/thread
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Garret 1350 and I luv it
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Recent metal detecting thread

My Ace 250 will be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
beach?
getting wet?
underwater?

whites dual PI
(not cheap)
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Recent metal detecting thread

My Ace 250 will be here tomorrow.

LOL, So will mine. I just bought one myself.

Of course I really wanted the minelab 4500, but you know the price and all. I've heard nothing but good about the 250

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

beach?

getting wet?

underwater?

whites dual PI

(not cheap)

Beach, yes.

Getting wet,, coil maybe

Underwater, no.

I'm really considering an ACE 250. I just wish I had a way to find $200
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered the ACE 250 from Kellyco and it should be here by Tuesday.

I just hope I can find enough loot to "pay" for this thing before the beach going tourists go home at the end of the season.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just hope I can find enough loot to "pay" for this thing before the beach going tourists go home at the end of the season.  

Good choice.

My recomendations:
Read a lot.
Research sites.
Talk to people.
Practice a ton and spend as much time as you can doing it.
Learn to dig and cover holes correctly.

You will be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I got a GTI 2000 with a extra coil for $260 off ebay it was used but in working order.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
One more bit of advice.  Use headphones.  They help a lot.  Important to have on beaches.  Don't worry about using any kind of special headphones.  Any with the right jack will get you started.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One more bit of advice. Use headphones. They help a lot. Important to have on beaches. Don't worry about using any kind of special headphones. Any with the right jack will get you started.

Kellyco includes a set of headphones along with a digging tool with the Ace 250.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
One more bit of advice. Use headphones. They help a lot. Important to have on beaches. Don't worry about using any kind of special headphones. Any with the right jack will get you started.

Kellyco includes a set of headphones along with a digging tool with the Ace 250.

Very good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A few years ago I bought the Ace 250 (also from Kellyco, BTW) and all I can say it's great!  I mostly find change, and a few rings.  It works better than I hoped for, although I also found out that metal detecting actually takes a fair amount of skill to pinpoint your treasure.  You don't just wave the coil around and dig when it beeps.  There is quite a bit of technique involved.  Watch the Garrett DVD that comes with it and you'll see.

The price was right since I don't want to spend thousand$ on a casual hobby.  And Kellyco's price and service were outstanding.  Order it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
UPS just delivered my Ace 250. I already found a quater out in the yard.

The real test comes when I go to the beach. I'm hoping some tourists left me some jewelry worth a few bucks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're looking for gold, find a woman.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~snip~ You don't just wave the coil around and dig when it beeps.  There is quite a bit of technique involved.  Watch the Garrett DVD that comes with it and you'll see.
~snip~

This helped me realize how to use my pinpoint function LINK
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
The one thing I found disappointing with Kellyco was they were going to charge me $10 to ship a "find pouch/shovel holder" when they could have easily dropped it in the box the ACE was packed into which had free shipping. I wasn't going to pay an extra $10 for 1 item. Oh well

Overall though the price for the Ace was right, it came with head phones and a shovel, and shipping was free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top