Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2010 7:04:06 PM EDT
I've noticed a few people that will leave a round or two in the magazine, and manually eject it.  

Is there a reason for this?  I admit, I may be missing something...I'd really like to know the answer.  One is a cop, and I'm going shooting with him tomorrow...so if you guys can't answer, I'll just ask him.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if there's two rounds in the chamber, I'd manually eject them too..  

Do they always leave rounds in the magazine? I'll occasionally not shoot a whole magazine if a ceasefire is called...
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do they always leave rounds in the magazine? I'll occasionally not shoot a whole magazine if a ceasefire is called...

No ceasefire call, they just stop with 2-3 rounds left, drop the mag and eject the chambered round/rounds, then reload it in the mag.

ETA:  Both guys who do it are in LE, if that makes a difference.  I'll just ask tomorrow I guess.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
saving those lucky rounds on bottom for zombies!
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Done shooting and no need to waste ammo?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it all the time. Just me, but my range shooting is dictated by what my target reflects, not my magazine. And at a range, I never table a gun with a loaded chamber, although I know many who do.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but maybe...just maybe...because they want to?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^^^

Because people are weird.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
OCD
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ceasefire call, they just stop with 2-3 rounds left, drop the mag and eject the chambered round, then reload it in the mag.

ETA:  Both guys who do it are in LE, if that makes a difference.  I'll just ask tomorrow I guess.

Maybe they're training to reload before they run out of ammo? But that doesn't explain ejecting the chambered round and reloading it...
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Only if a cease-fire is called
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
They don't want to waste valuable and scarce .380 ammo?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]

With the clientele at the ranges around here, I am never without an empty weapon. Even when I've just finished a string, I reload and holster before checking or changing a target.

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Ejecting the round after removing the mag gives you positive confirmation that the chamber is empty. If you just shoot until the gun stops firing, you don't know if there's still a (dud) round in the chamber.

I also usually dry-fire a semi-auto pistol or rifle at the target after removing the mag and ejecting the round, just to put the gun in an uncocked state before leaving the firing line.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If I finish a drill and still have rounds I drop the mag, put in a fresh one, and put the mag with a round or two in the dump pouch or range bag.  Not sure why I'd cycle the live rounds.

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With the clientele at the ranges around here, I am never without an empty weapon. Even when I've just finished a string, I reload and holster before checking or changing a target.

Concur on handgun and holster, but I don't put a loaded rifle down on the table. Just habit, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
LEOs are generally trained to shoot until the threat stops.... perhaps the paper target ceases to be a threat and the obey the ingrained training and cease shooting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if you have a 13 round G23 mag and you set up 5 silhouettes, and then double tap each one while moving for cover. When you are done, you have 1 round in the chamber and 3 rounds in the mag.

Maybe it's just as simple as that. I don't typically empty a mag, I usually set up a training exercise with a certain amount of targets and the first mag is short to force a reload and shoot and reload while moving closer , backing away, or moving laterally. I don't typically empty a mag unless it just happens to be a coincidence. when I put the proper rounds on the targets, I stop shooting and do a tactical reload.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I do it fairly regularly. I often shoot ten rounds at a time, but I tend to load my mags to capacity. Once I have fired ten I will drop the mag, clear the chamber and put the ejected round back into the chamber. I am sorry if this bothers others at the range, but I really don't see why they would get their panties in a bunch over it. If they do get sand in the ole mangina that will have to be their problem though, I am going to continue to do it.

Doesn't bother me at all, I was just wondering why is all.  I never remembered to ask afterward, and we don't chat much on the firing line...so I was just curios is all.  Wondering if there was a reason for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#21]
It's called situational awareness. Be aware of your ammunition supply and top off when there is a lull in the action. Where I teach,  it's considered poor form to shoot until  slide lock.

** Never mind. , I re-read the OP and the manual ejecting thing is dopey.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Any shooter should practice:

Emergency reloads (shoot to slide lock)
Tactical Reloads (drop the partial/empty mag and reload)
Magazine Exchange (with retention)

Many ranges will not allow you to do these.

The current PPC course at FLETC has the shooter keep their gun/mags topped off during the course.  When I went through it ten years ago the course was built around 6 round strings (revolver) even though we were shooting SIG P229s.  I like the idea of keeping the mags topped off during a PPC, but it eliminates emergency reloads, which is a necessary skill.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because in real combat you reload when you can, you don't wait until you're empty.

But they manually eject the round in the chamber, after dropping a mag that still has a round or two in it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The current PPC course at FLETC has the shooter keep their gun/mags topped off during the course.  When I went through it ten years ago the course was built around 6 round strings (revolver) even though we were shooting SIG P229s.  I like the idea of keeping the mags topped off during a PPC, but it eliminates emergency reloads, which is a necessary skill.  

I am fairly certain FLETC teaches emergency reloads during the course of fire.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may practice emergency reloads, but during quals they run it differently.  

The last group of new hires that went through UPTP told me that you kept your mags topped off during the PPC.  I went through FIRTP in March at Cheltenham, and they had us keep the mags topped off.

I just completed the spring qual cycle, and for fun I had my officers do a Vice Presidente drill.  Timed and scored by hit factor.  
I ran it 2+2+2 RELOAD 2+2+2.  What slowed a lot of them down was the emergency reload, of which the average reload took about 4.5 seconds.  Something I'll work on next cycle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I've heard people mention never shooting to slide lock because doing so is abusive.
I would think that any gun that fragile is not worth owning.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#28]
probably shot a few rounds and had a tight group and didnt wanna fuck the group up by shooting more
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

THIS!!!!  after a preacher was murdered at one of the ranges I live close to I usually keep my sidearm and a thirtyrounder ready.
You just never know who your gonna run into at some of the ranges any more.. and thats a damn shame..
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I sight in with good ammo and plink with cheap ammo.  I have done what you are describing when transitioning from Blackhills to monarch or wolf.

Once it's zero'd, I don't need to blow through my good stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I do this quite often when I'm practicing drills with my handguns.
If a drill requires 7 rounds and I have 9 in my gun then I will suspend shooting after 7 rounds (assuming drill requirements are met) and reload my magazine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
They don't count rounds.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I can think of several reason why this happens.
I do it myself at times.

Sometime I just want to bring the targets up and verify a shot.

If the gun jams I drop the mag and clear the jam.

If I am shooting specifically for getting a group...some times I will take a pause for a minute and breathe.....and put the gun down while I am doing this.

If I am messing around with my sights or optics I'll often load up a full mag but only take a few shots in between tweaks.....which includes visual inspection of the target

People do all kinds of things that make sense to them but no to onlookers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may practice emergency reloads, but during quals they run it differently.  

The last group of new hires that went through UPTP told me that you kept your mags topped off during the PPC.  I went through FIRTP in March at Cheltenham, and they had us keep the mags topped off.

I just completed the spring qual cycle, and for fun I had my officers do a Vice Presidente drill.  Timed and scored by hit factor.  
I ran it 2+2+2 RELOAD 2+2+2.  What slowed a lot of them down was the emergency reload, of which the average reload took about 4.5 seconds.  Something I'll work on next cycle.

All I can say is that when I qual it includes emergency reloads during the course of fire. Don't know wy it's different.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!!!!  after a preacher was murdered at one of the ranges I live close to I usually keep my sidearm and a thirtyrounder ready.
You just never know who your gonna run into at some of the ranges any more.. and thats a damn shame..

If I am shooting one of my guns I will run it to empty and load a mag and chamber a round. I will also take the gun with me to check targets. Guys who leave unloaded rifles lay on the firing line are asking for trouble. Some punk ass wanna be can put his mag in your rifle and then you could be in real trouble. Must of the public ranges around here are full of wanna be gang bangers. You know the guys who show up with pistol grip shotguns on a rifle range.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LEOs are generally trained to shoot until the threat stops.... perhaps the paper target ceases to be a threat and the obey the ingrained training and cease shooting.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe the course of fire they are shooting only called for X number of rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top