Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2002 6:55:15 AM EDT
I'm sorely tempted to pick up an M96 this week. Local dealer has a couple. $1400 for the rifle or carbine, $1950 for a combo with top feed.

It's a discretionary purchase, the money isn't an issue in the decision process. It's just a matter of whether or not the gun is worth owning.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were in the market for another 5.56, I'd hunt down a preban FNC.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
For something in the same weight range, you could go .30 caliber.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, come on, it's made in Utah.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I voted not to buy it, but that was before I read your question.  I think they are overpriced.  But if the price were less I'd buy one.   IMHO we, as gun owners, owe it to each other to keep prices down.  If we keep buying guns no matter what they charge for them, then the prices will keep going up.

-SS
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
btt
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
btt
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
They are great guns.  I bought one because it is a closest thing out there to a Stoner 63.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
FNC:

[img]http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/fnc/fnc.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Cincinnatus remarked:

If I were in the market for another 5.56, I'd hunt down a preban FNC.  
View Quote

I'm currently in negotiations for an FNC that's been converted to FA. The dealer is asking twice what he has in it (new conversion), and while I'm willing to pay a premium for what is basically a brand new gun, I'm not willing to pay a 100% premium when I can get one from out of state for $2k+ less than he's asking.  If he comes around on price, I'll buy it.

Golgo-13 espoused:

For something in the same weight range, you could go .30 caliber.
View Quote

Well, I've got at least the AR-10, FAL, M1A, G3, CETME, M1, and AK & SKS covered. Can't think of any other 7.62 rifles I'm interested in at the moment.

SouthernShark volunteered:

I voted not to buy it, but that was before I read your question. I think they are overpriced. But if the price were less I'd buy one. IMHO we, as gun owners, owe it to each other to keep prices down. If we keep buying guns no matter what they charge for them, then the prices will keep going up.
View Quote

I agree that they are pricey, but I have a slightly different view of the matter:

Volume would bring costs down, and they have to base their prices on how many rifles they think they can sell. I think Robinson should be rewarded for bringing a new EBR to market in this political climate.

I own a firearm or three, and I think that the M96 would make a good addition to the collection. But I value feedback from owners and people who have gone through the same thought process. At the moment, the cost isn't an issue, so I can pull that from the equation.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have seen them at the gun shows here in FLA for about $1200. The price up there seems a little high. I think they are nice rifles (I've handled but never fired) but I think you can get a better deal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
We are only here for a short while. I discovered at a young age that "some day..." doesn't get it. If I get wood over a particular firearm I buy it. I can always get more money...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Its a cool , interesting weapons system . I had considered it very carefully as well but the reason I did'nt do it is because if you want a .223 battle weapon the only choice is the AR15 system which is superior to all others .
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Cons

Over priced.
A little front heavy especially full size.
If you do not lock in the barrel just right and it might feel right, very bad things can happen.

Pros

Takes AR magazines.
Quick barrel change is cool reminds me of the M60, but you can have a very bad day if you do not lock barrel correctly.
A close friend says it is fairly accurate and reliable.
The top load that reminds me of the Bren is pretty cool looking and gravity helps feed.

If I were to buy one I would go for the carbine, because of the front heavy feel of it.Personally for that price I would go for a AR10 carbine or get two good post ban ARs or one good pre-ban.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
im waiting for the belt-fed upper!!!  [:-D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
DavidC

I just came across your post while I was browsing and wanted to share my 2 cents worth.  Nobody who replied here seems to be an owner of the M96 unless I am mistaken.

The rifle is definitely expensive, and a bit heavier than the AR.  I have an M96 Rifle that I put over 1000 rnds through prior to converting it into a Recon variant (short barreled carbine).  I've since put around 200 rounds through the Recon.  The rifles have stainless barrels, the Recons are Chrome lined.

In my opinion, the M96 was worth every cent.  It has a very smooth (although a bit long) 2 stage trigger that has an almost gunsmith modified feel (very good).  The build of the firearm is very nice. A few early models had the barrels launch during shooting due to a faulty retaining pin/spring design which was corrected long ago.  It is quite easy to affirm that the barrel is properly seated, and one just needs to take care to assemble it properly after removal.  

Firearm stripping is simple and requires no tools.  Recoil is light and the gas system is adjustable to 6 positions from full close to wide open.  I use thermolds and Colt 20 rounders most of the time, and the only malfunction I have ever experienced was a failure to eject after switching from surplus ammo to Cor Bon frangible rounds without closing the gas port down a notch (the load simply wouldnt cycle the action without adjusting the gas setting).  The rifle has excellent accuracy considering the quick change nature of it's barrel.  I've shot at 200 yards and it is easy to group 10 rounds in the vital chest cavity of a man sized target.  Average 100 yard 3 shot groups from a rest are 1.25MOA.

This rifle has many naysayers, as well as many who seem to feel that customer service is lacking.  I personally would not trade my M96 for any other .223 available.  I enjoy shooting it more than any other rifle I have ever owned or shot.  I have a Daewoo which is a fine rifle, but it compares to the M96 like an Ak47 compares to an AR15.  The Daewoo's trigger can't hold a candle to the M96.  As far as customer service, I ordered some spare parts and a factory scope base recently.  The sales rep was fabulous and helpful, and the order arrived to Ohio from Utah in less than 5 days.  Robinson Armament is a small company, and they have limited resources, so don't expect fast development on new products.  Good things come to those who wait.    

If you've got money to spend, I would buy an M96 in a heartbeat.  If you don't like it you can sell it.  I considered the two AR rifles verse  one M96 rifle issue when I started looking for a .223, but I don't regret my choice one bit.  I have had the opportunity to fire a multitude of AR-15 rifles, including custom jobs with stoned triggers and all the goodies, and I still don't feel that I could have made a better choice than gettng my M96.  The only thing that made it better was the shorter barrel Recon kit I installed.  I would definitely go Recon if you purchase one, it is much handier and balances much better when shouldered.

Hope my opinion has given you some insight into the highly underrated M96 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to get one of these...
Sig 552 commando
[img]http://www.gunnery.net/sig/552.gif[/img]
Sig 551
[img]http://www.gunnery.net/sig/551a.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I shot one of those at an AR15.com meet. I would personally buy one, and all of the little acessories and do-dads. It is a real nice shooter. I would personally buy one if it weren't illegal. Since the U.S. military is not all that concern with plain old low-tech stuff, and if some branch of the U.S. military discovers it, then it will be almost impossible to get, and of course if you could find it, it will have doubled in price. The
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Boom Stick:
I'd like to get one of these...
Sig 552 commando
[img]http://www.gunnery.net/sig/552.gif[/img]
Sig 551
[img]http://www.gunnery.net/sig/551a.gif[/img]
View Quote

That's a big, fat [b]ME TOO![/b]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Until they finish the belt-fed conversion kit, I see utterly no reason to buy one when there is such an abundance of cheap ARs and FALs to build up.  The top feed is neato, but not worth the price.  On the other hand, a belt-fed variant that can be converted back to using the standard AR box mags is a must have (or better yet, work like the M249 where you can just switch between belts or mags with no mods).

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DavidC

Volume would bring costs down, and they have to base their prices on how many rifles they think they can sell. I think Robinson should be rewarded for bringing a new EBR to market in this political climate.

I own a firearm or three, and I think that the M96 would make a good addition to the collection. But I value feedback from owners and people who have gone through the same thought process. At the moment, the cost isn't an issue, so I can pull that from the equation.
View Quote

This is exactly how I felt when I decided to buy the M-96.  So maybe you can buy two AR's for the price of the M-96.  So what? I've got AR's already.  I want something new and different, and if Robinson has the stones to try to manufacture and sell a new sport utility rifle in today's political climate, I salute them.  How many more years are we going to be able to buy them?

I have had my M-96 carbine for a year or two and love it.  While it may seem heavier than the AR-15, its compactness and balance make up for it.  The rifle feels very solid and well constructed.  One of the attractions is the modularity of the system.  I don't have any accessories for it yet, but it's always nice to be able to add them with minimal effort.  The two-stage trigger is better than any out of the box standard AR trigger I've felt.  

The adjustable gas valve, while viewed as a potential problem by some, is great for reducing the recoil for novice shooters.  The biggest complaint I have is that the rear sight has no elevation adjustment.  But the whole assembly is modular, which means something could easily be worked out if someone put the effort into it.  I could also have done without the muzzle brake, but it isn't as loud as many AR brakes I've seen.

If you can spare the money and want something to round out the collection, I recommend the M-96 very highly.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are looking for an alternative to the AR, check out the Armalite AR-180.  It has a great operating system and when the AW bill sunsets, you'll be able to get one with a folding stock.  (I hope at least)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Range report on the M96 I bought:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117329[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Good for you. I'm sure that you will love it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a range report and pix in the General Firearms Discussion Forum on a M96 Carbine with top feed magazine.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117329[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top