Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2010 5:12:49 PM EDT
Going to visit the inlaws in a couple weeks.  What is legal to take for some plinking?

Legal means, if stopped for speeding, or I have a flat, and a trooper decides to search my car because he can (not with my permission) and comes across a weapon, that I would be within New York State laws to possess?

Handguns = straight out.
AR-15 = too freaking complicated to worry with.
Semi-auto shotgun = too complicated, and I only have a Saiga-12 which is probably too evil in NYS.
Pump shotgun = ?  Actually I'd like to take one for "just in case" on the road, regardless.
Lever Action 30-30 ?
Bolt action 22lr ?
Bolt action 30-06 ?

And finally, what about an AR with a .22 conversion kit installed?  Is this still considered an assault weapon?

thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
12 ga pump shotgun, with an 18" barrel if you have one.

Semi or bolt .22

Ammo
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
NO handguns what so ever. Bolt action/lever action anything is fine as well as pump shotguns, its the detach. mag fed semi-autos which are regulated. AR15s have to be ban compliant or preban. Don't bring anything to the cities of Albany, Buffalo, and NYC

a .22 with evil features is till an assault weapon; it must be preban or ban compliant.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Handguns=no
ARs=maybe. They have to be in a preban configuration. Typically this means no bayonet lugs, flashhiders or telescoping stock.
The Saiga may be good to go as long as it is a 10-round magazine and meets the above preban requirements. I've seen them for sale around here.
Everything else is good to go.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]

but I thought the Supremes cleared that up?

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

but I thought the Supremes cleared that up?

well, in that case, full auto SAW with the laser thing that goes up.

Shotgun is the safest bet. Law states firearm must be unloaded during transport.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO handguns what so ever. Bolt action/lever action anything is fine as well as pump shotguns, its the detach. mag fed semi-autos which are regulated. AR15s have to be ban compliant or preban. Don't bring anything to the cities of Albany, Buffalo, and NYC

a .22 with evil features is till an assault weapon; it must be preban or ban compliant.

CombatMP  pretty much covered everything for here...
NYS Gun Laws

ETA:  Hi-cap mags are a no-no, unless manufactured prior to 9/94

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Going to visit the inlaws in a couple weeks.  What is legal to take for some plinking?

Legal means, if stopped for speeding, or I have a flat, and a trooper decides to search my car because he can (not with my permission) and comes across a weapon, that I would be within New York State laws to possess?

Handguns = straight out.
AR-15 = too freaking complicated to worry with.
Semi-auto shotgun = too complicated, and I only have a Saiga-12 which is probably too evil in NYS.
Pump shotgun = ?  Actually I'd like to take one for "just in case" on the road, regardless.
Lever Action 30-30 ?
Bolt action 22lr ?
Bolt action 30-06 ?

And finally, what about an AR with a .22 conversion kit installed?  Is this still considered an assault weapon?

thanks for your input.

Handguns = none leave them all home. (Need a NYS Pistol Permit and you can only get one if your a NYS resident.)
AR 15 = 10 round mags, fixed stock, pinned flash hider, no bao lug is a good start.
Semi-auto shotgun = Saiga leave it home.
Pump shotgun = ok
Bold action rifles are ok.

AR with the .22 still has to meet all the rules.

Taken from Wikopedia: Most of New York State gun laws are covered in two sections of New York Penal law. Article 265 - (265.00 - 265.40) FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS; Weapons Crimes, Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons, list definitions and legal violations. This sections includes the banning of possession of a handgun, ("firearm" under definition 3,) by anyone in New York State. Section 265.20 includes exemptions to the handgun ban including to those who have a license issued under Article 400 - (400.00 - 400.10) LICENSING AND OTHER PROVISIONS RELATING TO FIREARMS; Licenses to Carry, Possess, Hunting and Target, Repair and Dispose of Firearms.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
thank you everyone.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
God I hate my state....... Make sure If you bring a AR-15 with a 22 conversion that your mag only holds 10 rounds.... also make sure your AR is ban compliant ( no bayo lug, no telescoping stock, no FH)...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
So how did the trip go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Legal means, if stopped for speeding, or I have a flat, and a trooper decides to search my car because he can (not with my permission)

Huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top