Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 6:23:03 PM EDT
I am exploring switching to wireless service avaialbe through my exhisiting ISP since other broadband isn't available in my area.

I have been trying to research and determine if it will work for me or atleast worth a try as far as line of sight etc. due to a sight survey fee.

I live exactly 1 mile from the broadcast tower. Problem is there just the top edge of a tree somewhat in the way about 1500 yds to the tower. Not something I can trim and it is still winter here so no leaves.

Ok here is the question and probably asking alot. Does microwave wireless have to be 100% LOS or is there a frequency LOS range that may let me squeak by? Is a mile short enough that my signal would not really be bothered by a little  foilage(sp). The company also uses the flat panel antennas I believe. Are those as good for signal or would a directional one be more likely to help my situation?

Sorry but the main tech was not in and the sales side couln't answer alot of this, and I wanted to get some basic info before I got all excited that I may finally get off dialup!!

One more thing, I'm not sure if it is the 2.4 band range wireless or not, but I think that is what most use is it not?

Thanks for any and all help on such a specific topic

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of wireless? 802.11b?

802.11b actually has very good range,
and I don't think the tree would be
a problem. some people I know have
gotten signals ten miles or more away
with directional antennas (pringle's cans
work great). One guy has a bridge set up
to his house from work about a mile away
and gets over a megabit per second.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The 802.11b does use the 2.4 range. It's a mostly unregulated piece of the spectrum that some other things use as well (microwave ovens, cordless phones.)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Most wireless ISP's are NOT using 802.11b.  In fact, I dont know of any that are offering 802.11b for widespread areas.  802.11b is not suitable for widespread long range, but is well suited for low range omnidirectional, or long range VERY directional.... up to 25 miles currently.

You ISP will be the only one who can answer that question, but I cannot imagine a tree causing an issue with the current wireless offerings.  It's not as LOS dependent as Infrared or the like was.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
who is the ISP? some of the "wireless" services I have used required the use of a phone modem for uploads. Are you sure this is two-way wireless? The usuall cost for two-way wireless equipment is about $700+monthly fee. Be aware that you may also experience lag becuase of the time it takes for signals to travel to and from the satellite, but it is still pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it is 2-way wireless microwave. The service hook up is kinda steep. 400.00 but that includes the antenna, radio transmitter and firewall? the service is 48.00 a month for 256Kbps service, when compared to my now 20.00 dial up plus 18 a month extra phonle line isn't bad?

Thanks

IAJack
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been in the industry for many years and here's my .02.

Wireless, bidirectional Internet connectivity works fine, lasts a long time (assuming the ISP stays in business which I'll address in a minute).  It is truly line-of-sight and trees are a big problem with signal strength.  Assuming that the trees aren't totally obstructing the path, you're probably OK as they  will only attenuate the signal, not knock it out completely.  However, there's no guarantee that it will work until you hook it up and try it.

Having said that, there is also the issue of provider longevity.  These wireless providers come and go almost overnight.  Something to think about.

Some of the satellite cable providers (i.e. DirectTV) now offer bidirectional Internet over their dish.  It may be something to think about.  

Lastly, the line-of-sight guys also use the 2.4GHz spectrum but it's not the 802.11 standard as that is used for LAN connectivity not wide area connectivity.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok sort of an update. I talked with the tech today and he said the setup is 802.11b frequency hopping on 2.4 Ghz.

I explained to him that I was withing 1 linear mile of the broadcast site and that there was a top of a tree possibly a little in the way. He said he didn't think there would be a problem cause of signal carryover? But again he stated that trees do pretty well stop the signal, I think they say about anything etc to just get you to try a setup anyway, but oh well I am damned sick of dialup!! I think with a small 5-7 foot mast i will be in the clear no problem.He also stated that a different or parabolic antenna wouldn't be of much use since it is such a tight wave?

I thought 802.11b was a pretty strong signal though and would go through alot of stuff? Maybe you guys could elaborate now that you know what the architecture is. They claim service for a 10 mi. radius if LOS. Does microwave have a frequency LOS that allows for a litte varience? Just trying to understand all I can again.

either way I will let ya know how it turns out
thanks for the help

IAJack

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top