Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 11:32:36 AM EDT
Why do we let oil companies and the middle east hold us hostage at the gas pumps? We have the technology to produce fuel from easily raised farm commodities. I have seen tractors that run on sunflower oil, a van that runs on recycled beep fryer oil. Why do we let oil companies people like Archer Daniels Midland,Cagil,and politics keep us depending on foreign oil. When we could run on vegetable oil and ethanol witch would also help our farmers who depend on Uncle Sam for A check so they can raise there products at a loss
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Wrong.

We like oil.
Those Arabs just need to understand who's the boss.
That's all.
We are the most powerful nation in the history of the world.
We need to start acting like it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
all of the above is true. the technology isnt quite up to par yet.

however, let's not forget what industry the bush family made their money in. there are large industrial and commercial interests with stakes in keeping us using oil, and they are not going to promote alternatives (unless they can control them).

ive read that most major cities used to have streetcars. the oil, rubber and steel industries influenced public opinion and govt policy to encourage automobile use, and the tracks got ripped up. much as i mistrust government, i mistrust corporations more. they'll do absolutely anything for a buck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I beleave the tecnoligy is there but for political reasons it has been held back or supressed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The transition costs would be huge, probably many, many times larger than the benefits.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Wrong.

We like oil.
Those Arabs just need to understand who's the boss.
That's all.
We are the most powerful nation in the history of the world.
We need to start acting like it
View Quote

Nuclear is outlawed or stigmatized. Until Fussion comes down the pike it will probably be a while before any sources of energy lower our need on oil.  However, the US is not as helpless as many expect.  On the Business battlefield Alone.  Here are some things we can do.

Go to ANWR, GULF,CALIFORNIA,OKLAHOMA,TEXAS,KANSAS,VENEZUELA,ETC.  

Start producing tankers. And do the old FU, American BUSINESS style, the way American Businessmen have been known to handle situations before. Figure out what there cash flow is, Figure out what there cost / barrel is. Figure out what the service on there debt is. hahahaha, God I love business.  Total that up and Send our tankers to all the places I listed above and start drilling here in the US. THEN when we are ready just CUT our buying of Middle east oil by 75% within a week those sons a guns will be bankrupt or forking that money over to cover their losses and service their debt which their cash flow is no longer covering. If you really wanted to do it. You could arrange before hand for no-one to float them a loan. Then be the only man at the table to float them a loan (until they get back on their feet;hahaha) then when they default announce on the news that the Saudi's have defaulted on their loan and as seize the assetts. hahahaha

Hay that is funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top