Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 10:07:23 AM EDT
[url]http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0403taxes-weightloss-ON.html[/url]

What we need is a National Sales Tax, and just do away with the IRS.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The U.S. tax code runs into the billions of printed pages.  Maybe the IRS should just allow the obese to walk around with a few volumes strapped to their backs and keep the deduction.

I have often speculated that we could reduce our dependence on foreign oil by burning the tax code for the generation of electricity.  We probably have a 25 year supply on hand.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
[size=6][red]NO![/red][/size=6]
The last thing we want is a national sales tax.  We just need the government to stop stealing our money, period.  We have no need for 90% of the things the federal government does.  We also do not need to be spending billions on so-called "defense" which, as 9/11 proves, has been a huge waste.

Meanwhile, Social Security is bankrupt--
[url]http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/4/2/225433.shtml[/url]

We have nothing to show for the decades and trillions of dollars in taxes.  Nothing whatsoever.  So I say let's end it--no sales tax, not income tax, no nothing.  Let the government starve to death!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#3]
A national sales tax would be an IDEAL solution, because it forces everyone to contribute in direct proportion to their consumption.  It is also a minimal paperwork solution.   I absolutely favor it, and believe that it should be applied to every user and consumer and no person or organization should be sales tax exempt except for distributors and resellers. Every end user should pay a fair share.

Another nice thing about it is that the national sales tax could be simply adjusted on a year to year basis to ensure that the taxation level is no more than adequate to sustain a resonable government budget.

What, I ask, do you think the drawbacks would be to a national uniform sales tax?

CJ
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
drawbacks to national uniform sales-tax?
Because within 50 years it would be 60%......
no taxes....the ONLY way I want to give the government money is directly for services rendered-----I get a passport--I pay. I drive on the road I pay...I need a firetruck....I pay...
and I mean feeding the guys and helping them around the station and making sure that they are ready when I need em....I need a cop? nope can't think of a reason for that one...I need schooling for my kids I pay...don't have any so one of you guys is getting my money now...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Conventional wisdom is that a sales tax is regressive.  That means that it hurts the lower income people more than the higher income people.  As an example if you make $20000 and pay 10% tax on food purchases itw ill hit you harder than it will hit a person making $100000.  The point being that the richer person could afford steak versus your purchase of hamburger, but the richer person would not need or want to buy five times more dollars worth of food than you would.

Unfair as it is, the income tax is probably more just because it is considered a progressive tax.  That means that the higher incomes are taxed at a higher percentage than the lower incomes.

Having said all that, us taxpayers would be better served by reducing government waste & then having those savings passed on to us.  I recall reading about a law that was passed in the mid-1800s that would give a person a part of those savings.  Sorry, can't cite it though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Conventional wisdom is that a sales tax is regressive.  That means that it hurts the lower income people more than the higher income people.  As an example if you make $20000 and pay 10% tax on food purchases itw ill hit you harder than it will hit a person making $100000.  The point being that the richer person could afford steak versus your purchase of hamburger, but the richer person would not need or want to buy five times more dollars worth of food than you would.
View Quote

Gee, are you saying the the person making more money would actually be able to use it??? What a shock!  The same argument could be made for the actual price of steak.  Relatively speaking, it hits the poor guy's wallet a lot more than the "richer" person.  So, what if at the checkout lane in the supermarket, first you had to key in your salary then they adjusted the food prices accordingly?  How about if you bought a new car, the guy making $20,000 a year would get it for $10,000 while the guy making $100,000 would be stiffed $40,000 for the same car?  You get to the point where there is no incentive to even earn more money, because you end up subsidising the poor.

PLUS - Your point doesn't hold water because there are generally, and will be, NO taxes on food products.  Everybody advocating a national sales tax would like to exempt basic necessities that make up most of a lower class individual's budget.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
>Gee, are you saying the the person making more >money would actually be able to use it??? What >a shock!
---------------------
Actually, I think what he was saying is that the rich can better afford the food/taxes/whatever than others because they have more discretionary spending - that money that is not taken up by the essentials.  Oh, and if you have too much money being taxed, I'd be more than happy to take it for you - and hop up into that higher tax bracket - you guys crack me up with that kinda talk...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
A National Sales Tax is a truly fair system. Only what you purchase is taxed. It does not involve income, class, status, skill at preparing tax returns, loopholes, deception or redtape. You simply pay tax on what you buy. Period. What could be more fair than that?

Most states already have a Sales Tax in place. That provides the structure and framewaork for collecting the National Tax. The IRS could simply go away (Which would save BILLIONS).

People would have more money available to them, which means they would spend more money, which of course would strengthen the economy. The Government would still be funded, simply because of the commerce that would be taking place.  The American worker would have the FREEDOM to do with their money what they want.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Screw the Income Tax, and every other tax. Eliminate 99% of the taxes and have the amount that is left be about very very very small.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know how the government collected revenue before the 16th amendment was enacted that made the income tax legal?

Edited to add:  I live in Oregon and enjoy not having a sales tax.  It seems strange when I buy things out of state and have to pay a tax.

Recommended Reading: [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156011522/qid=1017871159/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-7830231-9997736[/url]

I say that if the government survived until 1912 without an income tax or sales tax, we can survive without one in the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my proposal...
increase the import tax on clothes, steel, and other raw materials by 40%. Then tax the HELL out of companies that close American based factories to move overseas (like nike, mattel,ect).
Then have an immigration tax, or a visitation tax. Say $50.
Then tax all goods and services(as is allowed by the Constitution) at a flat 3%.
Do away with lazyfare.
That should make us alot of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top