Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 8:16:34 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

Well, I didn't know where to ask this question, so I guess I'll ask the incredibly diverse, talented and knowledgable AR15.com crowd...

I have two cell phones, a Star-Tac and a Nokia, that are currently on a service I don't want and aren't under a contract for. These are higher end phones that I paid a lot for, not the free ones.

I want to change carriers, but they can't program the phone because the part they need to program is "locked". I don't mean the normal security code is lost, rather that this is some sort of firmware/software lock that prevents the normal phone programming stations from doing their thing. It's a lame attempt by the carriers to force you to stay with their service.

I know that the equipment and software to remove these software locks exists. The carrier/agent I want to go to does not have any and couldn't/wouldn't help me (they want me to buy their expensive phones, I'm sure). The question is, where can I go (or send the phones) to have this fixed? Preferably in the Southern NH/Eastern MA area.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#1]
For the Nokia phone, depending on model, you MAY be able to unlock them with one of the following two codes:

*#689#(menu)

*3001#12345(menu)

I believe that legally, the service providers MUST allow you to use an existing phone if it is fully compatible with their system.   Simply making that statement, without necessarily backing it up, may be all the push you need to get them to do as you ask.

Heck, they should be happy to do it.  They wouldn't have to sell you a new phone at a subsidized (spell that 'below cost') price with a new contract.

CJ

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
first be sure that the phones are actually compatible with the new carrier..

who are you with now..
who do you want to go to next ....

model numbers on the phones....

example CINGUALAR will work on a nokia 5160 but NOT on a 5190..

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
well...you are in my yard now...check out my e-mail address!!!
the carrier you are with should be able to unlock your phones......e-mail details...
I am in charge of the unlocking devices for our customers....you are in my yard BIG time....
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi guys,

I've got a couple of solutions for the Nokia. And the new carrier now says they can unlock that. But they say they don't have the equipment/software to unlock the StarTac. Anyone know of an independent shop that can help with the Motorola phone?

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top