Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 8:56:54 PM EDT
On the History Channel all week.

Very interesting, covered lots of facts "glossed over" by the repective religions.

Demonstrated how ALL the major religions are related to and evolved from Egyptian Pharonic religion.

Does a wonderful job putting ancient beliefs and practices in their proper contexts and as a result some of that crap "finally" made sense.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude my Anubi jar explains everthing!  Hmmm....[>:/]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Then you would probably also enjoy Joseph Campbell's [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385418868?tag=arfcom00-20]The Power of Myth[/url]

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember that the venerated Joseph Campbell sided with Nazi Germany during WWII.

That's something that the very PC Bill Moyer forgot to mention during his 1987 a$$ki$$ing $e$$ion / interview of Joseph Campbell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just remember that the venerated Joseph Campbell sided with Nazi Germany during WWII.

That's something that the very PC Bill Moyer forgot to mention during his 1987 a$$ki$$ing $e$$ion / interview of Joseph Campbell.
View Quote

I know.

I don't have much respect for him or his ideas, but I recommended his book to SteyrAUG since he seemed interested in that aspect of religion/myth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Demonstrated how ALL the major religions are related to and evolved from Egyptian Pharonic religion.
View Quote

evolved from?

hmmmm, since it's a well-known fact that the Israelites were slaves of the Egyptians, you don't suppose that Egypt borrowed from them instead, do ya?

a case of putting the cart before the horse?

i missed last night's first episode much to my chagrin.  and perhaps it answered this question:  but how does a belief in ONE god evolve from a belief in many gods of animalistic form?  there just seems to be too much discrepancy between Egyptian beliefs and the 3 big religions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]

They did talk about this, and how there was almost  monotheism that evolved from the animalistic polytheism.  Kind of a there is lots of faces/aspects of one more powerful ruler/king god.

It was a very good show. (or at least the part I watched, fell asleap in the middle.

dp
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
oops arlady....the one-god stuff was prevelent in Egypt on several occasions---Amon-Ra
Actually you can go back to earlier civs and find similar gods....babylonian Marduk,sumerian
An,persian ahuramazda.......
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, all major religions came from a central sorce.  religions by their nature are a social uniformer to allow progress and decrease internal strife.  

what is interesting is that even before the egyptian pharonic religions - there was the mother goddess religions that are in excess of 25-30000 years old.

up to about 4500bc, all terms that were high ranks for priestesses, or of importance to the M/G relions, were replaced with patriarcal or father god terms.  infact almost every swear word or put-down in our current language used to be a compliment of the mother goddess....

just a thought.

steve
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

evolved from?

hmmmm, since it's a well-known fact that the Israelites were slaves of the Egyptians, you don't suppose that Egypt borrowed from them instead, do ya?

a case of putting the cart before the horse?

i missed last night's first episode much to my chagrin.  and perhaps it answered this question:  but how does a belief in ONE god evolve from a belief in many gods of animalistic form?  there just seems to be too much discrepancy between Egyptian beliefs and the 3 big religions.
View Quote

They did go into a LOT of this. Even discussing the introduction of what would be the Hebrews into Egypt. But the Pharonic religions predate the Hebrews in the northern Egyptian delta.

Also, apparently my post could be miscontrued that the entire series is some form or Religious debunking exercise. I apologize for the misconception because that is NOT the case. Rather it looks at ALL religions and their development objectively, in correct chronological order with the correct context as to how they relate to each other.

Religion is usually discussed/instructed from a "Mine is correct/the other guys are damned" point of view. As a result, sometimes facts and history are slanted to reinforce the "my religion is better than your religion" agenda.

If you are a follower of any of the major religions, I believe this series will give you a more accurate and deeper understanding of your beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a reminder, part two on tonight...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
oops arlady....the one-god stuff was prevelent in Egypt on several occasions---Amon-Ra
Actually you can go back to earlier civs and find similar gods....babylonian Marduk,sumerian
An,persian ahuramazda.......
View Quote

the fact that monotheism predates egyptian religions only helps prove my point.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the fact that monotheism predates egyptian religions only helps prove my point.  
View Quote

He was referring to Monotheistic Egyptian religions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top