Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 8:19:39 PM EDT
 Does anyone know any possible treatments for this?  I seem to have developed this problem as a stress reaction.  Problem is it is right in the crotch, and it itches like Hades on a hot day.  All I know about it is that it is a reactivation of the same virus that causes chickenpox, and the rash tends to follow the course of a nerve.  Any data would be more than I know now.  TIA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Run, don't walk, to your doctor.

If you really have shingles, it can be a lot worse than itch.  The pain can be severe.

James
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes - see your doctor immediately.

There are a few antiviral drugs/ointments that are effective in lessening the symptoms and duration of shingles.

The earlier they are started (best within 24hrs of appearance), the more effective they are.

Acyclovir (Zovirax), valacyclovir (Valtrex) and famciclovir (Famvir) are common antiviral drugs used in the treatment of shingles.

Until you see your doctor - keep the skin clean.
ALSO!  Shingles blisters last about five days, then scab over. [b]You are contagious for chickenpox during that time[b]. Until they scab over you can transmit chickenpox to anyone who has never had chickenpox before.

Sorry to hear this mon. Shingles can really be a pain in the ass! [;)]

Just curious, how old are you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with The_Macallan's advice. I had it on my eye. My eye swelled up so much I couldn't see out of it. The area around my eye still itches every once in awhile due to the shingles outbreak. Shingles is common in people with HIV, so be prepared for the doc to ask you "are you HIV pos?"
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Shingles or Herpes Zoster is bad news.  It hurts like hell.  It usaully effects only a single part of your body called dermatomes.  This is an area that the infected nerve innervates.  The treatment is usually with an antiviral mentioned above.  Some people with recurrent infections will need long term treatment. The number of outbreaks may increase as you age or like you said when stress creeps into your life. Basically anything that will harm your immune system and the little buggers think its  time to party. You are also infectious until it scabs over.  Keep the area clean and dry and dont touch any other parts of your body or anyone else after you have touch that area.  WASH YOUR HANDS.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You may also want to get checked for Genital Herpes as Shingles is not typically found in the genital area. Precautions are the same as they are all infectious viruses. A sure sign is that Shingles only affects people who had chickenpox at one time.

"When the varicella-zoster virus enters its "quiet" phase after chickenpox, it remains dormant in certain nerves. The shingles rash will break out in the areas of the body connected to those nerve cells. As a result, only one section or side of the body is often affected. Common sites for rash include: the chest, back, buttocks, or neck, and sometimes the face and scalp.

The rash itself is reddish, with many tiny, fluid-filled blisters. For a few days, the rash spreads, although its extent varies from one person to another. The blisters will break, dry out, and then crust over."

from [url=http://www.mediresource.com/pages/PatientInfo.asp?DiseaseName=shingles&submit2.x=0&submit2.y=0]MediResource.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I had shingles on my ribcage area when I was a child. I think this area is most commonly affected area. I recall it being extremely painful.  Never heard of it on other parts of the body, but I'm no expert.  See a doc if you already have not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
sound more like the herp......my grandma had shingles 3 years ago on her neck.....didn't hear much about itching becuase she was in intense pain because the virus goes after the nerve receptors.  It took her 6 months to fully recover.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The_Macallan get's a gold star for knowing his drugs [:D]

Definetly, get yourself to the doctor, don't putz around with over-the-counter stuff!

Due to chemotherapy treatments, I had a very serious case of shingles. The Doc, thought that the shingles might kill me, it was so bad.

They can bring you all sorts of pain [BD]

Repeat: GET TO THE DOCTOR!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife got shingles when she was pregnant with our second.  As a result, she couldn't take the major pain killers she needed.  My pain in watching her week after week runs a dim and distant second to the horrendous pain she was in.  Every time a loud noise happened, the nerve reaction would have her sobbing.

Go to the doctor, and be thankful for pain relievers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I had shingles around my rib cage a few years ago and I am 47 now. Felt like a very localized, very painful sunburn. Any touching from a tee shirt or anything else was excruiating.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
 Thanks guys, even for the warning for herpes.  I am not (fortunately) at risk.  I have had this before in the same area, was surprised to see it return.  BTW I'm 47.  and thanks for all of the help guys.  Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top