Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2002 6:31:36 PM EDT
So, what do you guys do to kill the little beasties?

Hire a pro?

Buy some chem to spray outside the house along the foundation?

Just use bug bombs inside the house?

The little guys are getting on my nerves.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
.22 shot shells

You can always repaint.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
LMAO, right!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate f^*king spiders...I helped my boss move into an old victorian house that was in dire need of a handy man....well the foundation was infested with black widows and the attic had a $hitload of brown recluse spiders....gives me the eebby jeebies
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Hehehe...

Since I dug a large pond in my yard and installed ground level spotlights, most of the nasty fanged little bastards moved out to where the smaller tastier bugs now reside.

I do nuke the house in the spring and fall though, since about the only things on earth that I truely hate, have 8 legs and a similar number of eyes.  This is due largly in part to having been knawed on by a Black Widow a couple of years ago!

FWIW:  The most deadly spider on earth is the "Daddy Longlegs"... [pissed]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
DADDY-LONG-LEGS
The animal which most biologists call "daddy-long-legs", is a spider, Pholcus phalangioides, which belongs to the spider family Pholcidae, order Araneida, class Arachnida. The CSIRO handbook follows this usage: Naumann, Ian 1993. CSIRO Handbook of Australian Insect Names: common and scientific names for insects and allied organisms of economic and environmental importance. CSIRO.

Pholcid spiders are araneomorph spiders which kill and digest their prey using venom. However there is no scientific basis for the urban myth that daddy-long-legs are the most venomous, poisonous or toxic spiders in the world.

Taken from http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~glen/daddy.htm
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DADDY-LONG-LEGS
Pholcid spiders are araneomorph spiders which kill and digest their prey using venom. However there is no scientific basis for the urban myth that daddy-long-legs are the most venomous, poisonous or toxic spiders in the world.
View Quote

The discovery channel has shows dedicated to spiders, in addition to their "FANG" series...  They always remark about these spiders, but emphasize that due to their tiny heads and near microscopic teeth, they are totally harmless to humans and mammels.  To this, I say bullshit, because I have suffered countless chiggar bites, and you cant even see those creepy little bastards!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]
chiggers
View Quote

Gentlemen, please!

The politically correct term is "chegroes."

[@:D]

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate f^*king spiders...I helped my boss move into an old victorian house that was in dire need of a handy man....well the foundation was infested with black widows and the attic had a $hitload of brown recluse spiders....gives me the eebby jeebies
View Quote

I would have moved right the hell back out and put that damn house back on the market.  Even if I did get rid of them all, I don't think I could sleep at night.  When it comes to spiders, I am a TOTAL pussy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I went on a 'kill spider' rampage a couple years back....next thing I knew my basement was overrun by CRICKETS!!!! [whacko]

Please come back spiders...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

[url]http://www.snopes2.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm[/url]

Claim:   The daddy longlegs is the "world's most poisonous animal."

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 2000]

The most poisonous animal, believe it or not, is the daddy long legs, however, it's mouth is so small, it cannot bite us.

Origins:   A popular "fact" these days, especially among youngsters, is the notion that the North American arachnid commonly called a daddy longlegs (and also known as a harvestman) is "the world's most poisonous" animal.

This one is pretty easy to dispose of. First of all, the daddy longlegs isn't "poisonous" at all. Poisonous animals give off toxins which are absorbed when they are touched or eaten by attackers; spiders are an example of venomous creatures, which transmit toxins by injecting them into their victims. And the honor of the world's most poisonous animal is generally awarded to the South American poison dart frog or the box jellyfish.

The daddy longlegs isn't technically a spider, but even if it were, it wouldn't be the world's most venomous one of those, either -- that prize is claimed by the funnel web spider or the brown recluse spider. [b]The daddy longlegs isn't "poisonous" (or venomous) at all. In fact, it doesn't even bite and poses absolutely no threat to human beings (other than sometimes emitting a foul smell). [/b]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm...  Snakes love crickets!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
chiggers
View Quote

Gentlemen, please!

View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I am glad I am not the only one that is a pussy when it comes to spiders...got bit once when I was 5 and it caused my heart beat to become irregular and race.  I am not a fan of scorpions either [smash]

As far as my boss's house, he sprayed diazanon (I think that is how you spell it) all around and cleaned up the attic...however my bet is the critters moved back in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 To this, I say bullshit, because I have suffered countless chiggar bites, and you cant even see those creepy little bastards!
View Quote

I almost had to go to the hospital last month for those damn chiggars.  I had about 150 bits on my feet and legs.  Mostly around my ankles.  I was running a 104 fever for at least one night.

Those little bastards aren't fun.
View Quote

Go to the feed store and buy yourself some powdered sulphur. Pour some into a sock (ya know that one you can never find the mate to) a cup or two, then tie a knot in the sock to keep it from coming out the top.
Place sock in your vehicle and before ya leave the truck, hold sock from top and bang it around your ankles and outside of your jeans up to your knees. You won't win any odor awards, but ya won't pick up any chiggers either.

Old trick my granpa taught me, along with the trick of a little pure vanilla behind your ear not only make ya smell like cookies (which the ladies love) but keeps the knats and deer flies from drivin ya nuts on that deer stand.

Mike

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you kill one will it rain? Although contrary to popular belief, stepping on a crack will not break your mothers back.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I too hate spiders.  When I was coming in the other night, something shiny caught my eye.  I looked down to see a black widow building a nest at my front door.  I promptly went in and got the bug spray.  Needless to say, she ain't no more.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#21]
SPIDERS!

I work in the pest control industry and have had the pleasure of killing thousands of the little suckers.  Get yourself a can of non-residual insecticide containing the chemical pyrethrins.  Go to your basement and spot fog the sillplate all the way around and everywhere you see cobwebs.  If you have a crawlspace, use an aerosol fogger, spiders are one of the few pests those things are actually effective against.  Upstairs, spot treat individual spiders as necessary with the pyrethrins containing stuff, paying attention to corners, behind furniture, etc.  You also want to vacuum, dust and clean better, addressing especially areas that are out of the way so that you don't give them a chance to build webs, get established, lay eggs and breed.  Lastly, get yourself one of those pole brushes (the WEBBSTER) that etend to 25' and go around the outside of your house around the eaves and get rid of any webs.  We charge you $475 a year to do this, you can do it yourself for about $20 and a little attention to detail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
RockinAR has some good advice!  You may want to also check out this publication for some good advice and ways to keep them from being a problem.

[url]insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1787.html[/url]

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I treat spiders and these huge Florida Cockroaches the same.  

When I find one, I go and grab the 10lb bottle of Brut that I get for Christmas each year, from relatives that I don't even know.  I douse the roach/spider down with it, and then light their ass on fire.  Brut burns like f'ing gasoline!!  I love watching them BURRRRRRNNNNN!!

[b]Disclaimer:  You may want to do this in a sink or bathtub, to avoid burning the house down![/b]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
chiggers
View Quote

Gentlemen, please!

View Quote

No, it's "Insect-Americans."
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Give me a good venomous snake any day over a sneaky, ill-assed, human biting, spider POS......

I hate spiders.............with a hate born in the depths of Hell[devil].

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Ther are a few spiders – like the funnel-web – whose venom can kill a man. What I cannot understand is why have they developed venom that is so toxic. I mean they don't live on humans, horses or polar bears, they eat bugs!

The same question applies to some small highly venomous snakes like the fer de lance or black mamba. And those deadly little S. American frogs – what the hell do they hunt, water buffalo?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
No way. I had a little house spider charge me night before last. I didn't even do anything. He was rabid, foaming at the mouth and pawing at the dirt an' everything.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm gunna have bad dreams now. [peep]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, what do you guys do to kill the little beasties?

Hire a pro?

Buy some chem to spray outside the house along the foundation?

Just use bug bombs inside the house?

The little guys are getting on my nerves.
View Quote

I just vacuum them up with the hose extension. They get sucked up into the bag and die from the dust clogging their breathing pores (Spicules).

Plus you get rid of the webs. No fuss no muss.

Now ants are a different matter....
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Praying Mantises!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
You all will think i'm lying but we have no spiders up here. nananananan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s u  all need help,hating little old spiders damn big men scared of spiders!!!!!!! [size=6]muahhaahahahahah[:D]   [/size=6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You all will think i'm lying but we have no spiders up here. nananananan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s u  all need help,hating little old spiders damn big men scared of spiders!!!!!!! [size=6]muahhaahahahahah[:D]   [/size=6]
View Quote

Which begs the question of why you feel you have to live so far away from them??
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]
There have been a lot of spiders lately.  I don't care about daddy long legs.  They never bite me, and kill moths and such.  If I have to get rid of one, I usually catch and release.

Every couple of years seems like there are a bunch of small nasty jumping spiders.  They bite and leave a bad mark that lasts for a week and itches.  Why do they do this when I am not food?  They don't try to eat me, they just bite.  I hate them!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Brouhaha – thanks for the response.

I fully understand what you are saying, however, that applies to all animals. Why should such few and such small creatures, like the funnel-web, relatively small snakes and that S. American tree frog (and a particular spider that plagues banana plantations and whose venom can kill a man in minutes) have developed such extremely poisonous toxins to subdue their regular, small prey?

I mean, why would not a tarantula, that preys on larger victims, have developed the most txic venom, for all the reasons you mention?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Once lived in a trailer.  Only thing worse than spiders to me was when I was attacked by three flying cockroaches.  Ghetto huh?  Totally surprised me.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Spiders are one of God's little creatures that never scared me.  Since I was a kid one of my favorite tricks in summer is to get a tarantula to climb up my arm.  Get it to hold onto the front of my shirt then call the wife or kids to come help whatever I'm doing.  When they get there just turn around and watch their expression.  Wife gets a special thrill.  Sometimes even speaks to me the next day.  Growing up in rural Texas your sense of humor is different.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I hate spiders with a deep, unhealthy hatred born deep in the most evil recesses of my subconscious. There is no such thing as a good spider unless it's DEAD. Growing up we had Black Widows, Brown recluses and these, ahem, "harmless" black hairy jumping sunsabitches that I swear would stand on their back legs and just DARE you to try to kill them, and then jump right at your face when you tried. Little SOB's would bite you, and leave a red whelp that itched like a bitch for days. I sincerely hope every one of the satanic little bastards on earth dies a horrible, lingering painful death.
Back then, I used a Benjamin Air rifle, pumped up about 20 times, with no pellet in the chamber. Pump, hold about 4 inches from the little hellspawn and pull trigger...compressed air would liquify the unholy little buggers. Today, I use Hot Shot Spider Killer Plus...has pyrethrins in it and makes the little bastards suffer when you coat their ass with it...warms my heart to watch them struggle and suffer unmercifully when I douse them with it.
Widows and recluses get the Size 11 smeard into the concrete treatment (It's like a nuke...The only way to be sure...)
Serves the little f*ckers right for being born.

Pit
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I kill the spider, leave him on the floor next to the cricket I killed in the same spot in which I killed the spider, and wait for the scorpions to show up. I get a little leary when I "don't" see spiders, means there's a scorpion in my apartment!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Me an th' Red Ryder took a tarantula off o' th' back steps last summer.  Took about 10 shots, but it was worth it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kill the spider, leave him on the floor next to the cricket I killed in the same spot in which I killed the spider, and wait for the scorpions to show up. I get a little leary when I "don't" see spiders, means there's a scorpion in my apartment!
View Quote

SCORPIONS????? NO WAY!!! If I ever saw one of those... I am MOVING!!!!! Im sorry Kevhog ... You have bigger onions than I do.
View Quote

Heh, heh...out in West Texas before you turn the light out at night you put newspapers around your bed so you can hear scorpions shuffling toward you in the dark.  Have a friend who built a beautiful new home in the hills overlooking downtown Austin.  Nobody knew he was building right on top of Scorpion Central.  For years they would come crawling out of light switches, electrical outlets and anywhere there was a crack.  Sort of unnerving to see a duplex outlet with 3-4 scorpion tails and legs wiggling out of it.  But the big foot long black and yellow stinging centipedes are my personal favorite.

**Edited to say I always thought that house in Austin would be a subject for a Steven King book.  It was a little eerie.  Nice 3-story house full of scorpions that came crawling up through the foundation from the rocks the house was built on.  Lovely location tho'.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Heh, heh...out in West Texas before you turn the light out at night you put newspapers around your bed so you can hear scorpions shuffling toward you in the dark.  Have a friend who built a beautiful new home in the hills overlooking downtown Austin.  Nobody knew he was building right on top of Scorpion Central.  For years they would come crawling out of light switches, electrical outlets and anywhere there was a crack.  Sort of unnerving to see a duplex outlet with 3-4 scorpion tails and legs wiggling out of it.  But the big foot long black and yellow stinging centipedes are my personal favorite.

**Edited to say I always thought that house in Austin would be a subject for a Steven King book.  It was a little eerie.  Nice 3-story house full of scorpions that came crawling up through the foundation from the rocks the house was built on.  Lovely location tho'.
View Quote

DEAR LORD MAN!!! Foot long centipedes??? SCORPIONS CRAWLING OUT OF SOCKETS??? Man my skin is crawling something wicked now!!

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH! that is just too much to bear.

What if you have kids crawling around the floor?

What happens if you get stung by a scorpion anyway???
View Quote

Yeah those centipedes are a rush.  One time when I was a kid I was digging with my hands in a pile of dirt in my grandmother's back yard.  One handful came out with one of those centipedes wrapped around my hand.  That was the last handful that day.

There's an elderly lady in our small town who has a line of scars on her back.  Maybe fifty or so small, round scars in two parallel lines running across her back.  Where one of those black and yellow centipedes crawled across her back when she was sleeping as a child.

Scorpion stings are an intense burning sensation.  Make a nasty red lesion for a couple of days.  Old wives' tales say they can kill you but I don't think so.  I'd be dead long ago with all the stuff that bites you when you grow up in the country.

**Edited to mention there are certain times of the year when, before you go to bed at night, you pull the covers back to check for scorpions between the sheets.  Three times I've found a visitor waiting on me.  It's soft and warm for scorpions too.  And always turn your boots upside down and hit 'em a couple times before you put them on in the morning.  Same reason.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Caught this fella in my backyard. Within one day I also caught a snake, frog, and a huge alligator lizard. Haven't seen any of those since, or before, that day.

http://www.geocities.com/lumberjak/pictures/spider.jpg
[url]http://www.geocities.com/lumberjak/pictures/spider.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Recluses and Widows are pretty much the only ones that get me worked up, the rest I just relocate to the out of doors. The dogs have a field day with crawly things. Tarantulas are great pets, and USUALLY play very nicely with others. When they do bite though it hurts like a mofo. Learned not to play with scorpions when I was about 10, got stung 3 or 4 times that year, most just hurt, but some can kill ya if you don't get treatment for a few days.

We used to catch the nastiest meanest critters we could at summer camp, and at the end of the week, we would have fights. Drop two critters into an aquarium and let them do their thing. The tarantulas usually won since we couldn't catch the really venomous stuff barehanded.

My ex's stepdad literally shot a spider with a 9mm. He was in the attic and it was on the "floor" Thank god nobody was in the bathroom below, stupid SOB
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ther are a few spiders – like the funnel-web – whose venom can kill a man. What I cannot understand is why have they developed venom that is so toxic. I mean they don't live on humans, horses or polar bears, they eat bugs!

The same question applies to some small highly venomous snakes like the fer de lance or black mamba. And those deadly little S. American frogs – what the hell do they hunt, water buffalo?
View Quote

The reason is they need to kill very fast so they don't risk injury. Snakes are the same, although with the snake, they need to paralyze their prey fast so it can't run away. The spider has its web to trap the victim (but, not all spiders use webs).

In any case, we're pretty lucky in the US. Other than some snames and the brown recluse, we are pretty much okay. Australia probably has the worst little beaties on the planet (box jellyfish, funnel web spider, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top