Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 6:12:05 PM EDT
just wondering, i don't know where i heard this, but it was WAS a while ago.  any NJ folks out there?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I do believe that that is correct.  IIRC, hollowpoints are illegal for the common folk in NJ, although with the new Federal Expanding FMJ rounds, you could get around that problem.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
i've never heard of those rounds, they are probably based on the same design as the russian ak74 5.45mm enclosed hollow point?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I read a article about them sometime ago, and they were on the Gun Tech segment of American Shooter last Friday.  Federal figured out how to score the inside of the metal jacket.  The nose of the round is filled with silcone rubber (or some other substance).  This allows the round to expand. They even say that it will work through layers of clothing that would prevent a normal hollowpoint from expanding.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know you can have hollow points in your home for self defense and at the shooting range.

You can't have them in your firearm outside your home (i.e conceal carry).

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Does NJ even allow concel carry?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Heh, you'll love this one...

Here is the most recent explanation by a local LEO I was given on this one:

First, understand that they are for sale in every single gun shop in the state.  It is perfectly legal for the dealer to sell them to you.  It is perfectly legal for you to buy them.  However, according the way the laws can be interpreted, it is illegal for you to carry them out the door.  BUT, it is perfectly legal for you to possess them in your home.  It is also technically illegal to fire them at the range or anywhere for that matter.

Now, this is one of those things that is simply not enforced.  It might even prove to be "unenforcable" should it ever actually be tested in court.  I don't know and am certainly not willing to volunteer to be the test case...  Also, we all know that local LEO interpretation of law varies WILDLY from LEO to LEO.  But, I have been given this same explanation several times.

Everybody here owns them and everybody here shoots them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View Quote

BAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry, just kinda lost it there...  There are laws defining CCW in NJ but it IS NOT a shall issue state.  The CLEO and then the judge have absolute discretion on whether or not to grant one provided you prove "an immediate and demonstrable need" for one.  Needless to say no one gets them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take that as a NO.  God, I love NC!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Go here and all shall be answered.
[url]http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go here and all shall be answered.
[url]http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html[/url]
View Quote

Yup, that's what I was shown before.  Apparently, and I'm no lawyer, its the "exempted activities" that are listed that cause the problem.  Because of the use of semicolons and the word "and" instead of "or" it seems to cause some people to get a wierd itch in their pants.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry, just kinda lost it there...  There are laws defining CCW in NJ but it IS NOT a shall issue state.  The CLEO and then the judge have absolute discretion on whether or not to grant one provided you prove "an immediate and demonstrable need" for one.  Needless to say no one gets them.
View Quote

I would wager the CLEO and the judge get them.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [;D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at a gun show a few months back and seen a paper back book named [b]traveler's guide to the firearms of the fifty states[/b]{with  a few dozen of them being communist state i may add},you can also get the info i have at [url]www.gunlawguide.com[/url] [:D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I was watching one of those "COPS" shows and they were in New Jersey.  They pull over this guy who happens to be carrying.  They empty the revolver and it has hollow points.  They start going on and on to the camera about how he had hollow point "cop killer" ammo and that it would go right through a bullet proof vest.

Morons.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
To sum it up, hollowpoints are only illegal to use for illegal purposes in NJ.  Legal to sell, legal to posess, legal to reload, legal to shoot on ranges, legal to shoot a burglar with (in an otherwise "good shoot").  Illegal to rob a bank wit, illegal to shoot a cop with, illegal to have in your posession when robbing a 7-11 with and so on.  

What makes them special?  Some legislator had a case of the scarey woo-woos when he wrote this "pile-on" law.  It basically doesn't affect good people and adds a very droppable offense to bad people.

No big deal.  I wish all gun laws were this way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was watching one of those "COPS" shows and they were in New Jersey.  They pull over this guy who happens to be carrying.  They empty the revolver and it has hollow points.  They start going on and on to the camera about how he had hollow point "cop killer" ammo and that it would go right through a bullet proof vest.

Morons.
View Quote

oh god, i was watching one in NYC, and these "really smart" cops found a bunch of drugs and a gun, and one stated that it was loaded with black talon ammo in the background, the two idiots talking to the camera kept saying "yeah it's a .45 black talon, very dangerous gun" like a couple of parrots, not even knowing what they were talknig about.  i feel sorry for the NYPD officers of average intelligence, they have to work with a LOT of people like this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Pssst...don't tell anyone but 230 gr ball ammo has been known to be effective.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top