Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2002 5:25:50 PM EDT
Here is the follow up rant.

I teach Computer Science classes.  The students work from a textbook that guides them through their assignments.  Because we are all human, there are still mistakes made.  Mispelled words, wrong dates inserted, formatting errors, etc.

At the end of each section I assign a 'Free-Form' problem based on the concepts of the chapter.  Basically, this assignment gives the student the outline for the final document, then they must create it.  Each student arrives at a unique solution.  It is graded on inclusion of concepts.  Since the students are not 'told' what the final assignment should look like, they all make their own decision.

The students who were bright enough to turn in the 'same' documents, right down to the same mispelled words, wrong column formats, missing printout, incorrect dates met with me over the last few days to explain this 'odd' coincidence.  Amazingly, even their 'free form' assignments were identical... hmmmm...[;D]

EVERYONE of them claimed to have NO idea how they had the same work submitted...

The each claimed that they 'might' have helped each other a little...maybe they did work together, but they did their own work!  (huh?)

QUOTE from my syllabus:

"For this class, it is permissible to assist classmates in general discussions of computing techniques. [b]General advice and Interaction are encouraged[/b].  Each person, however, must develop his or her own solutions to the assigned projects, assignments, and tasks.  In other words, students may not 'work together' on graded assignments."

Me: "Oh, really?  You worked together, that is why your work is identical?"

Them:  "Yeah, we helped each other, if she/he/we/I thought they were making a mistake I would correct them."

Me: "And you think is acceptable?  Would you do this in a Math class?  Would you do this on a test?  Would you do this on questions at the end of the chapter?  No?  THEN WHY do you think this is acceptable when my SYLLABUS clearly states this is UNacceptable???!"

Rocket Scientist, every one of them...

Needless to say, 4 more students withdrawing or receiving an F.  

And the were MAD at ME?!?  I wasn't the one that cheated!

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
In undergrad I really liked three of the law related profs, and they liked me (they are the main reason I went to law school).
Anyway, the U had A LOT of Indian students (from India).
They took most of the campus jobs, parking, LAs, library, COPY CENTER, COMPUTER CENTER, etc
They also cheat like madmen. It's just what they do in India.
Business law prof was telling me he had a couple of exams, all Indian students, that were the same. He can't do anything since that would be a race policy violation.
Then one comes to him during office hours and tells him he mismarked her test. The reason she knows, just from the score posting, is that all the Indians were given the answers beforehand from one of them who worked in the copy center and took the test copy and worked out the correct answers. She wanted her grade brought up.
Then in law school......wow. Most classes are graded on just one exam. Black, Hispanic, and American Indians are given a pretest with the professor, who then tells them how to get a better grade on the actual test. It was an offical program at the U of Michigan Law School called Minority Action Program. U sponsered cheating.
After a while you start to doubt grads who are minority. Our firm has quite a few doctor and dentist clients. I have heard from some that pre-70 minority docs are going to be the very best in the field, post 70s it is a real crap shoot and you are better off just going white or asian to be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top