Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2002 2:38:38 PM EDT
Got one at a gunshow not long ago and it's awesome.I plan to use it as a hunting knife.Is there any special treatment the leather handle should receive? thanks for any input[):)]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The leather sheath doesn't really need any care aside from washing it out in fresh water if its exposed to salt water. It will however become weathered and really krappy looking after being exposed to water, sweat, sand and dirt. I upgraded to a nylon sheath for my Kabar and have been happy ever since.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
mine wears a kydex sheath but I am thinking of getting it a nylon or leather sheath because it kinda clanks when you walk.

but it is the ar of my knife collection [:)]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
ah1z
you mean the Ka B"ar" of your knife collection.
I have the kydex too.  It does kind of clank.  I agree with ya about goin to nylon
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Dumb question - is it pronounced "Kay-bar" or "kah-bar?"  I've heard both.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you should pronounce it Kuh-ME-lus. [;)]

Dave S

[url]http://www.camillusknives.com/cam-military-fixed.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Great knives i've got a old one my dad brought home from the navy when he got out back in the 50's it's got the hard case looks fiberglass or somthing ,say's USN MKII.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
They are Great knives. I have 2 of them and use them all the time during hunting season. They are absolutely my favorite knife.
Tommy GPSS
[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have always wanted one of those. Although I would get a ka-bar night raider. its a ka-bar with a tougher rubberized black handle. I think the blade is a little improved too. and all around it looks alot cooler.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
 You may want to soak the sheath and handle in neatsfoot oil or Saddle Butter before it has a chance to absorb sweat, dirt, etc.  outside of that, keep it sharp and Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you use a Kabar to skin a rabbit?

-Semper Fud
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got one at a gunshow not long ago and it's awesome.I plan to use it as a hunting knife.Is there any special treatment the leather handle should receive? thanks for any input[):)]
View Quote

What are you hunting with a Kbar? It certainly isn't much of a skinning knife.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
It seemed to me that the Ka-Bar would be execellent for Splitting Joints and Gutting Larger Animals, ie, HOgs,Pigs,Deer,Elk. Some precision work requires a smaller knife perhaps, but a large one will have more power to pry and will be better for scrapping.

I was interested in my Grandad's from WWII, USMC. But my Cousin ended up with it when my Grandfather passed away. Oh well, I got his Work Boots (all 5 pairs). I ended up getting my Ka-Bar for Christmas and I love it.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It seemed to me that the Ka-Bar would be execellent for Splitting Joints and Gutting Larger Animals, ie, HOgs,Pigs,Deer,Elk. Some precision work requires a smaller knife perhaps, but a large one will have more power to pry and will be better for scrapping.
View Quote

Ben,
 I think it would be very difficult to dress a large animal with a Kbar, but its certainly possible. Having dressed Moose, elk and hogs I can tell you that not cutting the "pawnch" is of utmost importance and the Kbar is too large and thick to make this easy. Also, its been my experience that wide bladed knives, while very strong, are hard to get sharp enough to skin game. I'm not saying its impossible, but there are much better tools for dressing game. .02
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes a small knife and a Bone saw seem to be what I have seen most.  I don't know though I understand about size and getting the cut too deep. I have been using larger knives for 12 years almost daily.  I guess it just comes down to what you are used to and have skill using. I also have a pen knife Schrade that I love.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#15]
You would be suprised what how much precision you can get with a 12" knife an A practised cut of meat.  In other words The layout of a deer is the same every one.  Seperating muscle groupings and such. I once had a customer tell me that my hands moved like a surgeons when I was trimming a piece of meat. With practise you can become a master butcher. At 12 years of use I was merely a newbie as 30 year butchers could teach me a whole lot.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Had mine for years...Looked nice..Every other boot got one too when we left the island..they were at EVERY PX and seven day store..easy to sharpen in the field...the leather handle stood up to the US,Korea,The P.I.,and Thailand..The sheath was crap..I tried a nylon sheath..but the blade sliced into it eventually..and when the sheath got wet as it often did..that wetness transferred to the blade and would cause surface rust.

Finally after about five years I dumped it for a front heavy bolo blade design with a high carbon steel that i bought before a JEST session in the PI..Infinitely more useful..better balance for the things I'd use a big blade knife for in the field.

I always wanted to try using an Eskimo knife for dressing out game...an ulu or something like that.I use a skinner now...like a razor in a screw down case for gutting and skinning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top