Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2001 4:12:30 AM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are they any good?

Or

a P.O.S.?

At $278.99 I really wonder what I would be getting.

This is what I am looking for:
1)7.62x39
2)Something that shoots good up to 100yds
3)Pistol grip
4)Accepts 30 rnd mags that are easy to get
5)Parts will be easy to find
If it is a little rough around the edges that is fine. I wouldn't mind having a bit of a hobby gun that I can add the all black furniture too or refinishing the exterior(you get the idea). I don't want to sink a bundle into it just to get it to shoot good.

I will mostly shoot it at the range and I might go wild boar hunting with it once a year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to buy one from them soon. If you order one, make sure you ask them to check the sights and make sure they are straight. Sometimes the front sight post is bent. I'm sure the SARs Wholesale has are just as good as any other.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They are now $299 at wholesale and I believe they are the newer production as they are drying up fast.  As a matter of fact they are one of the only ones that still have them available.  So they sights should be good and straight.  If not fix it.   Half the fun is dicking with them.

As far as asking them any questions----Good luck.  You definately know that your calling a wholesaler when you call.  They are short and rather abbrasive and act as if they don't have time for questions.  They are however a good distributor but margins are so low that they could care less if you buy a rifle or not.  We're lucky they sell to the public and not just to dealers.  One rifle is more of a nusence that anything.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd find somewhere else to buy it- those guys sold me some exploding .308 several years ago, and I had the Devil's own time getting my money back.  Customer service was for crap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont buy an SR-1 without looking at it 1st. Mine is a pretty good example, but still has the dreaded "trigger slap". Many of these have crooked sights and gas tubes that don't line up, many also have horribly mismatched wood. At the last show I went to all that both dealers there had looked like the front end had been soaked in battery acid a couple of days, and wood in 3 different colors on the same guns! I think most of the better examples have been cherry picked, but Seek and ye shall find!
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd go to Tennesseeguns.com and look at what Arsenal is putting out. For a little more you can one of their SSA-85's. I don't own one (yet) but everyone says they're great quality rifles and ones you'd be proud to take home to Mom. Granted they're a little more expensive (about $170), but I've never seen an SAR that didn't look and feel like ass.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
For the money I think they are alright . I like mine . mags and ammo are easy and cheap . AND
NO THUMBHOLE STOCK . Nice and short package .
Try to get one with the 2000 serial number as these were the last ones and hopefully some of he bugs got worked out . Check the sights as said before . I think that almost all have the trigger slap but that is supposed to be an easy adjustment .
 Anyone have the procedure on the trigger slap fix please post it here . I got a dremel for Christmass and am willing to try it myself .

These guns will dry up like everything else banned .
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked one up from a dealer, paid $340, but the couple extra dollars was worth the peace of mind to know it is a streight gun.  Just bought 500 rds of Wolf for $45., so ammo is real cheap.  Will take it out next weekend, and let you know how it shoots.  Also bought a new Arm. M15 a4 this winter, ordered a scope mount from Armalite in Jan. and still don't have it!  Can't wait to shoot that one too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top