Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 10:21:11 AM EDT
Is there a VW mechanic in the house?  My '97 VW Jetta is displaying some odd behavior in its automatic transmission.  

Here's the catch:  [b]You can't even check the fucking fluid level...there's no dipstick or inspection window.  The ONLY way to even check the ATF is to have a special fitting that ONLY THE DEALERSHIP HAS! [/b]

And those bastards (at all three dealers in town) can't see it for a fucking week.  This is my third VW, and probably my fucking last.

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck!

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about Jettas but if they're anything like the rest of Hitler's favorite car line, I'd  have to agree it's junk.

I've only seen two cars burst into flames [b]while actually driving down the road[/b]. Both were VW bugs.

Between the noise, the lack of front protection (only an empty trunk between you and the front bumper) and the annoying propensity to self-immolate, I find VW's to be the most obnoxious cars ever created.

Of course in Arizona, only a maroon would drive a high-rev/air-cooled engine in 120degree heat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Here are a few things to watch for on your Jetta, my friend had a GTI and had already seen all the typical breakdowns. There is a plastic frame/guide for the gear shifter. These eventually wear away or break. You first think that there is something wrong with your gears but it ends up being a broken $12.00 chunk of plastic. Check this first before getting suckered into a new trany. Also, check the linkages between the shifter and transaxle. If they are anything like the fuel throttle linkage, it will have plastic joints.

There actually a lot of critical plastic parts on VW's that fatigue, crack and break. As soon as my friends GTI reached 5 years old, they all started to break.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a '96 Passat GLX with 62k miles on it.  In the past 12 months, I have put $1500 into it.  I hate that car and would like to get rid of it, but I can't afford it.  From now on, I'm buying either Hondas or Toyotas.  Actually, I really like the Subaru WRX, but that's a different topic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a mechanic that isn't a regular dealership?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about a mechanic that isn't a regular dealership?
View Quote

Because VW won't sell them the special tools or fittings needed to get INTO the G*ddamn transmission!

SHIT!

Here are a few things to watch for on your Jetta, my friend had a GTI and had already seen all the typical breakdowns. There is a plastic frame/guide for the gear shifter. These eventually wear away or break. You first think that there is something wrong with your gears but it ends up being a broken $12.00 chunk of plastic. Check this first before getting suckered into a new trany. Also, check the linkages between the shifter and transaxle. If they are anything like the fuel throttle linkage, it will have plastic joints.
View Quote

It's an automatic tranny.

QS
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi all,

My 2 best buds have always driven VW's... GTI's specifically.... and they are insanely reliable cars. Cant understand the probs. Though I have heard of getting either reallllly good VW's or plain lemons. Dunno, but I have personally seen these vehicles driven until they just plain die... couple hundred K's and that is in the salt belt too...  

Sorry to hear your troubles... why dont you see if there is a VW discussion board on the net and see what kind of ideas you can get over there. Cant hurt.

Dram :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a VW mechanic in the house?  My '97 VW Jetta is displaying some odd behavior in its automatic transmission.  

Here's the catch:  [b]You can't even check the fucking fluid level...there's no dipstick or inspection window.  The ONLY way to even check the ATF is to have a special fitting that ONLY THE DEALERSHIP HAS! [/b]

And those bastards (at all three dealers in town) can't see it for a week.  This is my third VW, and probably my last.

View Quote

Things are getting better for VW in the US.  First of all, all VW's currently produced trace their mechanical lineage to Audi.  Audi made the 1.6 L 4 cylinder and basically gave it to VW for their water-cooled lines.  Since its borrowed technology, sometimes things go wrong, other times its better.

I'm no VW mechanic nor am I Audi trained but I do know some secrets.  First of all, you need the correct tools.  Don't spen the money on the VAG stuff as its too expensive.  For all electronics, you need a good laptop, a copy of Vag Com (www.rosstech.com) and the Bentley manual.  Total cost minus the computer is $300.

Now you can check the transmission fluid with ease AND do all the diagnosing you want w/o the dealer cost.

Things you can also do with this tool are all discussed on the archived topic threads, all available at Ross Tech.  The guy who made this tool is brilliant to the point some dealerships are starting to use it instead of the VAG 1551/1552 tools!  I got a copy for my Audi and reprogrammed the windows to roll up with the alarm remote plus autolock whenever I got above 15 MPH.

Just get the Bentley if you want to do anything.  Don't give up on the VW's just because it doesn't have a dipstick.  I'm sure when the first electric starter broke, that hapless owner cursed just as much as you.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't know much about Jettas but if they're anything like the rest of Hitler's favorite car line, I'd  have to agree it's junk.

I've only seen two cars burst into flames [b]while actually driving down the road[/b]. Both were VW bugs.

Between the noise, the lack of front protection (only an empty trunk between you and the front bumper) and the annoying propensity to self-immolate, I find VW's to be the most obnoxious cars ever created.

Of course in Arizona, only a maroon would drive a high-rev/air-cooled engine in 120degree heat.
View Quote

He is talking about a [B]JETTA[/B] dumbshit,  not a bug.  2 totally different cars.  Get a clue bro!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
bWAHAHAHAHA...I knew someone here would have the answer... I love this place!

On my way to rosstech..

QS out
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy fuckamolie...I'm placing an order for this ASAP!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

VW cars have evolved a lot since the original VW beetle was produced.  The New Beetle is one of the safest cars of that size.  I've seen wrecked Golf's and GTI's that looked like they must have killed everyone inside, yet everyone survived with generally minor injuries.  I can post the pictures if you like.

View Quote

VW's have been watercooled since at least the 80's.  I know several people who own new Golf/GTI/and Jettas in AZ.  Forced Motion turbo-back exhaust systems are manufactured there.

And I personally love my VW.  195HP, 245ft lbs of torque, and 25-30MPG.  And enough cargo space in my GTI to carry a drum set.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
bWAHAHAHAHA...I knew someone here would have the answer... I love this place!

On my way to rosstech..

QS out
View Quote

Uwe Ross of Ross-tech is a stand up guy.  His VAG-COM is awesome, and essential if you own a OBDII VW or Audi.  I got to talk to him two weeks ago while at a VW gathering in Alabama.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I love you guys.

[<]:)]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Between your love for the Almighty All Wheel Drive/ Turbocharged WRX and your fabulous signature pictures of Sesame Street characters you are fast becoming my new best friend....
View Quote

[:D]

[beer]

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only seen two cars burst into flames while actually driving down the road. Both were VW bugs.

View Quote

He is talking about a [B]JETTA[/B] dumbshit,  not a bug.  2 totally different cars.  Get a clue bro!
View Quote

It must be a bitch having anterograde amnesia jerkweed.

Read my first sentence. Okay, read it again - slowly.

Focus now. Fo - cus. Good.

Now this sentence is what we adults call a "preface". That means it sets the stage for what will follow.

Notice I implied I was not going to talk about Jettas but rather MY experiences with VWs.

See?

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize that VWs have evolved a bit since the 1938 VW bug, don't you?
Besides, Hitler's favorite car wasn't the VW, but that one:

[img]http://www.frasconabuick.com/images/Hitlers_Mercedes_-_Cropped_Sm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, the WRX is an insanely fast ricer but it lacks the fit, finish and comfort of any current VW.  I recently test drove one before testing the new A4 on my recent venture in replacement of my old A4...

The WRX is a buzzy, noisy, rocket with the feel of a Hyundai on massive steroids.  What a relief to step behind the wheel of a 2002 A4 3.0 QMS.  Its more refined than a 330ix and gets top star on ergonomics.

Performance isn't limited to physical numbers.  Interaction with the human guidance system is of supreme importance and here Audi is tops.

BTW, the Audi quattro system is far more advanced than the Subie's.  EDL's on the front and rear axles plus a Torsen in the middle make for an unbeatable proactive AWD. Wheelspin is prevented where in the Subie, a wheel must spin in order for the AWD to bias torque.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Best VW board out there is

[url]http://www.vwvortex.com/forums.html[/url]

Charlie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top