Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 8:36:38 AM EDT
Must Rant....... [:(]

I am so upset, 3 months ago my roommate couldn’t pay rent, and I had to pawn my gun to cover her part. (STUPID)[stick] She move out with the promise that she was going to pay me back. (WTF-EVER)
She started paying $50 here and there. My other friend told me that I HAD to Demand payment after all it is my money. (STUPID) Well I DID, now she wont even answer or return my calls. (SKANK)  So I am left with paying my part and her part of the rent, a place that reeks of cat, $1000+ owed to me,  and in a day I’ll have no gun.[pissed]

My first gun…….. and I pawned it [>(]………………. I am not worthy. [>Q]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Take the bitch to court!

Hell, in this case you may be able to get some action out of the police in the matter!

CJ
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
All that you have to to is re-new the loan, pay what's due intrest-wise to date and then you won't lose it.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you afford to "roll it over" and pay just the interest?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Usually pawnshops will extend the loan and allow you to pay the interest-and I know, I live in Phoenix. My girlfriend's ex-husband has done it on several occasions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Take her to small claims court...you can fill out the paperwork yourself & you do not need an attorney to do it for you.

Or speak with an attorney/para-legal & have a letter mailed to her demanding payment.  If no response, you will have evidence that she refuses to pay/acknowledge you that you can use in small clamis court....You can also send a certified letter yourself to save on costs.

You can always get another gun if you have to...don't let this effect your credit rating...that is more important than your gun.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Bummer.  If you loan money to your friends, sooner or later you lose either your frinds or your money.

You could move in with Imbroglio.....

Edited to add:  Sometimes you lose both your friends AND your frinds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I wasn’t aware that I could have an extension… I always thought if you didn’t pay by the due that you were screwed. I’ll check it out today. Hopefully It’ll work. Thanks so much for the info.  

I thought about small claims court. Is kind of hard, taking a friend of 7 years to court.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought about small claims court. Is kind of hard, taking a friend of 7 years to court.
View Quote

Okay, where's that thread talking about how women like to be treated like crap? Here's a prime example. She gets screwed over and yet still considers this person a friend.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My FFL owns a pawn shop so I'm pretty familiar with how they operate. Yes, you can make payments to keep your gun "in pawn." You can basically due this forever if you want. You pawn invoice/reciept should have the amount listed.
Get the gun out of "pawn" as soon as possible, but it on a credit card if you have to, the interest is most likely a lot less. I've seen people who have left items "in pawn" for years, YEARS, and made the monthly payments... In the end they could have just bought 3 or 4 of what they had pawned. Pawning is basically a short term, high interest loan, whatever you pawned is the collateral.
Do not ever pawn anything unless you gotta have the money right now and you know you can get it out of pawn in a few weeks.

Call the cops on the bitch and see what they can do. A mear "talking to" by Law Enforcement is enough to scare the hell out of some people and make them own up. Send one or two polite but stern letters asking for the money that is owed (have them notarized, keep copies, this is evidence.) Take her to court if all else fails, Small Claims Court is a simple process. If she fails to appear, she gets arrested and automatically loses the case (in FL at least.)

BTW, is her name on the lease ?

This is why I don't have roomates and don't pawn stuff. Your a grown up, you got yourself into this situation, quit typing and take steps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently, she doesn't think of you as much of a friend if she's going to treat you that way.  If it were me, I'd give her one more chance to arrange some way to make payments.  If she refuses, I'd tell her I'm taking her to court.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... She is not your friend. She sees you as a fool (albeit a nice fool) to be taken advantage of at will. Loose the hounds! Hunt her down and exact revenge
View Quote

You might be right……. And to top it off, my Birth Date was yesterday… [:|] That may explain it. HUH?

yes!!!! Her name is still on the lease.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I unfortunately learned long ago to never lend money to a 'friend'.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It is not a police matter, so it won't do any good talking to them.  It is a civil matter, between you and your roommate.  You might try talking to your city prosecutor's office, but I would be willing to bet that they tell you to take civil action against her.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Must Rant....... [:(]

I am so upset, 3 months ago my roommate couldn’t pay rent, and I had to pawn my gun to cover her part. (STUPID)[stick] She move out with the promise that she was going to pay me back. (WTF-EVER)
She started paying $50 here and there. My other friend told me that I HAD to Demand payment after all it is my money. (STUPID) Well I DID, now she wont even answer or return my calls. (SKANK)  So I am left with paying my part and her part of the rent, a place that reeks of cat, $1000+ owed to me,  and in a day I’ll have no gun.[pissed]

My first gun…….. and I pawned it [>(]………………. I am not worthy. [>Q]
View Quote

My wife....yes
My Dog.....maybe
My Gun ....NEVER !!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If she is a friend...you wouldn't be stuck in this situation
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#23]
am i to understand that the time to retrieve your gun has run out?  if so, talk to the pawnshop owner, perhaps you can work something out, tell him how much the gun means to you without giving him a sob story, and see if you can give him like 20.00 or something to extend it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't even bother taking your roommate to court. You'll win but you'll still never see the money. All you'll do is spend $50 to get a peice of paper that says she owes you whatever she owes you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am so upset, 3 months ago my roommate couldn’t pay rent,
View Quote

Is she attractive? Lots of (legal)ways for an attractive woman to make fast cash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#26]
take it to "Judge Judy". It might be fun to see a gun case on there....fullclip
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's what you need to do.
File a small claims action against your "friend". Let me know if you want to do this and I will tell you which court to go to.
Have her served by a process server with proper court papers. I have a process serving license if you want me to serve the papers for you ($35)
Go to court, have the judge rule in your favor. If she doesn't pay ....
Garnish her wages (income at work)
File judgement with credit reporting agencies (she'll have a hard time getting a line of credit anywhere)

You said her name is on the lease, here's what I would do AS LONG AS YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE LEASE!
Move out of the Apt leaving it a mess. Don't intentionally wreck the place, just leave it a mess, leave the cat too. Don't tell the Apt managers your moving and don't hand the keys over. What will happen is the apt will take her to court for rent, back rent, rent until the lease is up, layers fees, process server fee's etc. If she doesn't pay all of that she will have a major dent in her credit. You might not get your money back, but your friend will learn a lesson that her credit will not forget.

Oh yeah, if any of the utilities are in her name only repeat steps above...do not pay anything with her name on it.

What do you owe to get your gun out of pawn?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I coulda told you how to solve this, but unfortunately you "pawned" your Glock.

For the slow people, that was a joke.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I coulda told you how to solve this, but unfortunately you "pawned" your Glock.

For the slow people, that was a joke.
View Quote

Now thats just mean...[:D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#30]
DAMNIT!!
10 years ago, when I was a soldier, I lost a Match M1-A to a pawn shop! I had no idea you could "roll over" a pawn.  Someday, soon hopefully, I'll get another one...
AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I am so happy!!!!!!! I went and paid the interest, they will hold it for another 90 days, that gives me plenty of time to take her out of pawn.

Thank you so much for all your input, I would have never thought they would grant extensions.
Again, Thank you!!!! [:D]

I will never pawn it again..... [:I]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am so happy!!!!!!! I went and paid the interest, they will hold it for another 90 days, that gives me plenty of time to take her out of pawn.

Thank you so much for all your input, I would have never thought they would grant extensions.
Again, Thank you!!!! [:D]

I will never pawn it again..... [:I]
View Quote

At 60%, they live for the extensions!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
[b]60%[/b] I thought it was more like 30%
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's what you need to do.
File a small claims action against your "friend". Let me know if you want to do this and I will tell you which court to go to.
Have her served by a process server with proper court papers. I have a process serving license if you want me to serve the papers for you ($35)
Go to court, have the judge rule in your favor. If she doesn't pay ....
Garnish her wages (income at work)
View Quote

The ability to garnish a person's wages depends on what state you live in. Most people assume that if you win in small claims court that you can force the person to pay you. In PA you can only garnish someone's wages for ONE thing - child support. So you have a very good chance of never seeing a dime. Like I said before, you'll pay $50 court costs to end up with a peice of paper saying that someone owes you money and that is it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#36]
It varies... The most important thing is to get your gun out ASAP so you don't owe more money to interest.
Hell, credit card rates are cheaper than a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#37]
NEVER loan money to a friend unless they will be paying you back the very next day and you know that they have the means to do so.  I've done it twice.  I'm now short $1250 and 2 friends.

Misanthrope
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top