Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2002 11:50:35 PM EDT
Several friends and I are considering a trip to Cancun Mexico and I was wondering if any Ar-15 folk can give me some advice on taking a weapon to Mexico? I don't think I'll be carrying on my person but the option if I feel the need and the security in the hotel would be nice. I have been a TN, CCW holder for 5 years now and don't want to feel naked. [shock] Anyone on here been there done that? Hell, even my NAA .22 Lr would beat nothing. Thanks in advance....321
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, no way no how.  Guns in Mexico are only for the federales and criminals.  Remember there is no constitutional protections there and being caught with a gun of any kind is a massive f#ck up.  Don't even think about it.  In fact I would probably make sure I had no ammo or anything related to guns on me.  Seriously, don't even think about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you plan on getting to Cancun? Dont think they will let you carry "Heat" on a plane or ship.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do you plan on getting to Cancun? Dont think they will let you carry "Heat" on a plane or ship.
View Quote
 Well I see you don't get out much. Two words for you,Checked baggage ring a bell? I have been over most of the Southern United States on a comercial jet no less. Just proclaim it in your checked bags and nothing is said. I am sure that it is still the same even after 9/11. So to help the feeble minded around here, which only one has came out of the hole. I was wondering if I could carry my (Heat) after I arrive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Go ahead, I'm sure getting sodomized in a Mexican prison is not as bad as it sounds, have fun!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
There were a few cases a while back where some guys on a pleasure boat got nabbed when they tried to anchor in Baha. I don't know what the law is in Intl. waters, but the minute you get in Mexican waters, you're fair game.

Just another reason not to frequent that country. For all the good it has to offer tourists, there is just way too much BS to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Bang

Caryying heat in mexico would be a terribly bad idea. Despite checking your weapon in the US you will still have to pass through Mexican customs.
Firearms for the general public are a no no in Mexico. I was in southern Texas some years back traveling across the US by car and had to pass on Mex. because I had a weapon in my car and no  where to leave it if I crossed the border.

Think about it. Do we let foreign nationals who are not citizens here carry?

Enjoy Mexico for what it is. A place to engage in drunken debauchery (in which case you shouldn't have a firearm anyway.)

If you dont heed this advice it may be you who is getting "enjoyed" by Manuel in a mexican prison.

Have a nice trip!

[;)]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
A spent 22 short case on a key fob can get you time anywhere in Mexico.  You are in their country and will obey their laws. I have never had a problem with robbers, thiefs, etc. in over 40 years of random travel in Mexico. I would not carry more than $100 at any time.
Go there, have lots of fun, get a tan, scuba, and come home in one piece.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife and myself have been to Cancun a couple of times. I had the same dilemma. DO NOT attempt to take a firearm or ammo into Mexico.
I carried a tactical folder in my checked baggage.
We rented a car and drove all over that part of the country with no problems. The police are for the most part friendly and helpful.(I try to avoid them at all costs myself.)
ALSO: Do not take pictures of the police walkin around carrying M-16's and tactical shotguns.
They take a dim view of that.

I say, carry a knife if you want. Have a great time. The beaches are GREAT.
Take a day and take the ferry to ISLA MUJERES.
Souveniers are cheaper there and so is the cerveza.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Several friends and I are considering a trip to Cancun Mexico and I was wondering if any Ar-15 folk can give me some advice on taking a weapon to Mexico?
View Quote

[size=6]ARE YOU ON DRUGS???[/SIZE=6]

They will throw your ass in jail for having a single bullet in Mexico.

You would do better carrying your AR-15 on the White House tour.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys, I think he should go for it!  And then when they are about to arrest him, he should resist while clucking like a chicken to show them he's not all there.  THEN when they shoot him like a chicken, he'll make a nice Darwin story! (I'd vote for him to win just because he's an AR15 owner!)

So what would have come first...the chicken or the moron?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
 Well I see you don't get out much. Two words for you,Checked baggage ring a bell?
View Quote

Ya' know, you've got quite a piss-ant attitude for someone who just asked such an obviously stupid question as you did.

Normally, there's no way in hell I'd recommend for an American tourist to carry firearms or ANY gun-related material/ammo in Mexico.

But for a dumbf*ck like you - you go right ahead. That's just one less snot-nosed punk clogging up our society with your dumbass attitude.

Have fun in prison gringo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
What The Macallan said.  Don't be such a wiseass and we'll forgive you for asking such a stupid question.  Every so often there is a story about the schmuck American who forgot the box of .22 buried somewhere in his trunk, crossed the border, and wound up in a Mexican jail for six months while the state department, government and everyone on this side tried to get him out.

The Mexicans make U.S. gun control laws look like Disneyland and they would love to give you a personal demonstration.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe. Just take a lot of cash with you to pay off the local political hacks. With enough cash I'm sure a Gringo could buy a gun permit and a gun to go with it.

As for bringing your own, hell no.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#15]
In Tucson there are often horror stories about US citizens who forget they have a gun or ammo in the car when they cross the border & then are stopped.  It is hell getting back,  lots of bribes & red tape. If no $ to pay way out, you get the bonus of enjoying the electrodes attached to your scrotum.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, there is a way to do it.  I don't know how.  A friend of mine worked for a wealthy person, who goes to Mex every year, drives up the Baja.  

I don't think they carry pistols, maybe rifles,, but as I understand, they have to do quite a bit of paperwork, and send lotsa money to the Mex government. I'll check with the person, and see how they did it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW my dad and many of those I've worked with hunt quail, dove, ducks, hogs, exotics and deer in Mexico every year, so some of what you fellas have said is not exactly truthful. Shotguns as well as deer rifles are allowed there and there are plenty of guided hunt packages to had in Mexico. While there are hoops and procedures to be handled, (and on at least one occassion w/ my dad there were palms to be greased before getting back across the border with shotguns) blanket statements such as have been made just aren't true.

That said, I would and have advised others to be careful, for while guided hunts are one thing, the point in question is definately not the same. Money buys alot and it's the old adage "it's not what ya know, but who ya know" that tends to be the general rule in Mexico.

My 2 cents,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the laws there have changed a lot but I remember reading about Elmer Fudd types going to Mexico to slaughter doves and such.  While I was stationed at Ft. Wegothcha several folks in my unit went javalina killing somewhere near Canenea.  As I recall, they couldn't bring any .223, 9mm, 7.62/.308 or .45ACP guns or ammo and they did an assload of paperwork.  They did the customs form like you would when you PCS overseas with firearms  and they did something through the State Dept.

The only thing I've hunted in Mexico are the Chicas.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I see you don't get out much. Two words for you,Checked baggage ring a bell? I have been over most of the Southern United States on a comercial jet no less. Just proclaim it in your checked bags and nothing is said. I am sure that it is still the same even after 9/11. So to help the feeble minded around here, which only one has came out of the hole. I was wondering if I could carry my (Heat) after I arrive.
View Quote

Okay genius, handguns are illegal for you to posess in Mexico.  That being the case, how do you expect to not get caught with a [i]declared[/i] firearm in [i]your[/i] luggage when you land in Mexico?  Please answer.  My feeble mind is confused.  I'll be in my hole if you need me.

Edited for spelin'.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Several friends and I are considering a trip to Cancun Mexico and I was wondering if any Ar-15 folk can give me some advice on taking a weapon to Mexico? I don't think I'll be carrying on my person but the option if I feel the need and the security in the hotel would be nice. I have been a TN, CCW holder for 5 years now and don't want to feel naked. [shock] Anyone on here been there done that? Hell, even my NAA .22 Lr would beat nothing. Thanks in advance....321
View Quote

A Gringo in a Mexican Jail.....Don't look good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#22]
The ONLY way you can legally bring a firearm into Mexico is on a hunting trip.  You have to go through a major paperwork rigamarole in order to bring in a rifle or a shotgun.

No semiautomatic firearms of any kind.

No handguns of any kind.

And if you get caught with your hunting rifle or shotgun somewhere other than where you are supposed to be on your hunting trip, you are in deep guacamole without a spoon.

Forget about bringing a firearm into Mexico for personal protection.  Only drug smugglers and robbers can do that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay genius, handguns are illegal for you to posess in Mexico.  That being the case, how do you expect to not get caught with a [i]declared[/i] firearm in [i]your[/i] luggage when you land in Mexico?  Please answer.  My feeble mind is confused.  I'll be in my hole if you need me.

Edited for spelin'.
View Quote

[:D]

No need to be condescending to our resident Mensa member - he's "been over most of the Southern United States [b]on a comercial jet no less[/b]."  WOW!

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I usually fly in private prop aeroplanes.

I just don't trust them new-fangled "jets". Seems like a passing fad to me.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been over most of the Southern United States on a comercial jet no less. Just proclaim it in your checked bags and nothing is said. I am sure that it is still the same even after 9/11. So to help the feeble minded around here, which only one has came out of the hole. I was wondering if I could carry my (Heat) after I arrive.
View Quote

The Southern United States isn't anything like Mexico.  In Mexico you'll get 10 years for having ONE .22lr round on you, as even ammunition is illegal there.  There are some instances where you can get guns in for hunting, but that's about it.  There have been several cases of Texas citizens going into Mexico for the day, getting stopped at a border crossing, and then getting arrested and fastracked to prison for simply having a box of ammunition in the car.

So the answer is no, you cannot carry legally.  And there are few more hellish places on earth than a Mexican prison.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
[sex]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh, wow, guess what?  Another shithole fascist country that the US dumps billions of dollars into supporting heavy-handed gun control!  No wonder those shitbags from Mejico are all so eager to get their butts "al norte", huh?

You guys came down pretty heavy on somebody asking a simple question.  Instead of offering other possible solutions such as "bring a knife," you simply attack him.      

Funny that guns are illegal in Mejico, but you can get a .44 Magnum in Tijuana just as easily as you can get a tequila.  

The US supports an awful lot of gun control around the world, doesn't it?  Oh, but it's their country and you have to respect their laws.  Ha!  Tell it to the victims.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You guys came down pretty heavy on somebody asking a simple question.  Instead of offering other possible solutions such as "bring a knife," you simply attack him.
View Quote

Nobody was on his case until he started being sarcastic to the people offering advice.  Did you see his second post?  He deserved everything he has gotten.  Don't be jerk and people won't come down hard on you.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody was on his case until he started being sarcastic to the people offering advice.  Did you see his second post?  He deserved everything he has gotten.  Don't be jerk and people won't come down hard on you.

View Quote

View Quote
I am sorry if I have offended anyone just by asking a question on this board. I may have mistaken Confederate's post as sarcastic when he quoted my wording of a weapon as "Heat". Upon rereading his post I believe that an apology may be the order of the day here. So here goes, SORRY Dude! To the many people that have passes along informative information and advice,many many thanks. I may choose not to go south of the boarder. I'll likely just grab a taco and a corona take some Buffett and head for the lake. God bless the USA. Again thanks to all!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#30]

I was wondering if I could carry my (Heat) after I arrive.
View Quote

As long as it is the movie Heat your OK.

Gun's are a no-no, either in your checked bags or your car.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh, wow, guess what?  Another shithole fascist country that the US dumps billions of dollars into supporting heavy-handed gun control!  No wonder those shitbags from Mejico are all so eager to get their butts "al norte", huh?

Funny that guns are illegal in Mejico, but you can get a .44 Magnum in Tijuana just as easily as you can get a tequila.  

The US supports an awful lot of gun control around the world, doesn't it?  Oh, but it's their country and you have to respect their laws.  Ha!  Tell it to the victims.
View Quote

Hey tricksnot, why don't you lead by example.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I may choose not to go south of the boarder. I'll likely just grab a taco and a corona take some Buffett and head for the lake.
View Quote

Wise choice [^]

I can't think on ANY reason to travel to a third-world country, no matter how hot the beaches are.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell, just drive (or fly) to the Florida Keys or the southern part of the Florida Gulf coast at this time of year.  It's just as hot and the water is just as pretty and you can bring your gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all the replies. Several thoughts about other weapons come to mind. First how about a benchmade? Are their any blade length restrictions? How about mace/pepper spray? Can I take this stuff in my checked luggage? Thanks in advance.321
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#35]
A Benchmade is what I carried in Mexico.
Also a neck knife.

When you arrive at the airport in Cancun there is a big picture of stuff that is illegal to bring into the country.
(guns,drugs etc.)
Not a single knife on the picture.

I had mine "stashed" in my carry on luggage.
I did not tell ANYBODY that I had them in my luggage.
I carried them the whole time I was there.

I should also mention that I never once felt threatened the whole time we were there.

I say go to mexico, carry a knife if you want.
Have a great time.
It beats the hell out of Florida (been there too.)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I say go to mexico, carry a knife if you want.
Have a great time.
It beats the hell out of Florida (been there too.)
View Quote
I have been all over the Caribbean, including Mexico, and Florida beats the hell out of a bunch of third  world backwards countries.  Getting away from the tourists areas while working, you really see what a country or island is all about.  For the most part, they hate the US, blame us for everything, corrupt governments, no real rights for their citizens, and you are not allowed to defend yourself.  You can get tossed in jail for minor stuff (I didn't, just saw it happen) and their jails are hellholes.

You go ahead and think that these shiitehole places beat Florida all you want, but you don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I have heard about people driving into Mexico for the day and forget and leave 1 .22 shell in their vehicle.  They end up in prison for a while.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Yep. Happened in Arizona a while back.

Guy had to languish in a Mexican prison for quite a long time until his family could scrape together enough money (tens of thousands of dollars I think) to "convince" the Mexican authorities to drop the charges.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have heard about people driving into Mexico for the day and forget and leave 1 .22 shell in their vehicle.  They end up in prison for a while.
View Quote

Yep.  Just another way their sorry ass country can squeeze a little extra dough out of the US.  I think that as a country when they hold our citizens on some Bullshit like that that we ought to withhold the billions of dollars we flush down the drain on them.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A Benchmade is what I carried in Mexico.
Also a neck knife.

When you arrive at the airport in Cancun there is a big picture of stuff that is illegal to bring into the country.
(guns,drugs etc.)
Not a single knife on the picture.

I had mine "stashed" in my carry on luggage.
I did not tell ANYBODY that I had them in my luggage.
I carried them the whole time I was there.

View Quote

Do [b]not[/b] try to carry a knife on board.  They will take it from you, and maybe even charge you.  Pack it in your checked luggage.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Think about it. Do we let foreign nationals who are not citizens here carry?
View Quote

We do in Indiana.  If they have any kind of carry license, they are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I live about 200 miles from Cancun – but I wouldn't go there for a vacation. The only thing Mexican about Cancun is their laws. IMHO, Puerto Vallarta is a much better choice and a much safer place.

All the stuff you've read on this thread about being caught with a firearm or even just ammo is true!

Generally speaking, you are probably far less likely to encounter a problem in Mexico than in the U.S. However, if you are concerned, take nothing into the country (not even a knife) and buy a small canister of pepper spray when you get there – it is perfectly legal anywhere in Mexico and provides reasonably effective self defense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks to all for the info! 321
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Chimborazo can find a fart in a blackhawk backwash! if he says so it is so! How many mexicans carry a handgun across our border? Though its probably easier here than any where else! You don't even want parafanalia (hand gun shells) because you would be carring in things used for things that are illegal to have! Travel in a group and have money then you might be accepted as a good quest! I personally agree with DaveG spend your money here! Not really a dumb question but if you pack in any other country (and some states here) you are asking for some real intestinal fortitude trying times!  bob cole
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Why the hell would anyone from America want to go to Mexico? Most Mexicans already live in the US. If I want to go on vacation, I want to go some place exotic, where people speak a strange foreign tongue.. for example, English. You know, a place like Canada! I hear they still have WHITE PEOPLE up there!!! [:D]

Then again, they seem to have strange accents and paranoia about eating a nice bloody steak.

Sorry, I just realized no one here probably understands what I'm saying...

Por qué el infierno cualquier persona de América desearía ir a Méjico? La mayoría del mejicano ya vivo en los E.E.U.U.. Si deseo ir el vacaciones, deseo ir un cierto lugar exótico, donde la gente habla una lengüeta no nativa extraña. por ejemplo, inglés. Usted sabe, un lugar como Canadá! Oigo que todavía tienen GENTE BLANCA para arriba allí!!! [:D]

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#46]
the federalies will just shoot you for seeing it, hell they will shoot you if you look at them funny, well its not actually that bad, Ive been to cancun several times, and its very nice and very safe, it is the most americanized place that ive ever been in mexico, dont even worry about it. Ive been piss drunk lost in the middle of god knows where Cancun at 4 in the morning, but do watch out for crocks, near the lagoon. anyway, ive never felt that I was in any danger at all in cancun, just convert all your $ into mexican money, they like to take advandage of drunk americans and screw you on the exchange rate, (I can speak pretty good spanish when im drunk) I dont know how, Im off to cancun the 13th of may, fun fun fun!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#47]
48 hours, had a story on this topic[stupid ass question] i remember a USA trucker that always carries {heat} and was delivering in south texas made a wrong turn,  now is running from a mexican booty bandit for 10 yrs.

p.s. if u go,tell your kids to over night your weapons to me, i will paid top dollar, cause u going need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
48 hours, had a story on this topic[stupid ass question] i remember a USA trucker that always carries {heat} and was delivering in south texas made a wrong turn,  now is running from a mexican booty bandit for 10 yrs.

p.s. if u go,tell your kids to over night your weapons to me, i will paid top dollar, cause u going need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
Hey buddy, I really don't appreciate you calling a legitimate question stupid. If you are a native of Mexico and consider my question stupid then by all measures, I am sorry for not being familiar with your laws. If as I ASSUME you are from Arkansas as your I.D. says you are then GO GET FUCKED! I don't believe I pulled your chain and the only thing I would mail you would be a box of SHIT! That is all Carry on!!! Edited to say that people from AK  that shoot first and think later are the norm! Thanks for backing that up man!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
My vacation spot #2 for the year may very well be the Falklands do you care to have a outlook as to how welcome I may be to pack [Heat] among those people as well? I ASSUME not as that would be a stupid question! Why don't you GGF! Thanks for nothing,twat wipe!! [stick]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#50]
321bang - firearms and ammo are definitely a no no.  Locally, a southern California police officer was vacationing in San Diego, got lost, went thru the border, and when he realized his mistake, took the turnaround to go back to the US side.  He was in Mexico less than a hundred yards.  On his way back thru, they asked if he had any firearms etc., and he was truthful.  Well, he ended up spending at least the weekend in jail and it was almost an international incident.  I'm sure that there are hundreds more horror stories that are worse than this.  If it was you or me, we'd still be there - and probably for the forseeable future.  I've taken Spydercos and neck knives there.  I've even picked up some cheapie folders after I got there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top