Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 6:04:05 AM EDT
The new phone lsiting at work came out, and FOUR chicks on here are hyphenated (ala Jackie Joyner-Kersee)

Is this an insult to their husbands? "Hey big fella, I'll take your money, your stability, your time, but I don't want your name."

Should these guys then say "Fine sweetie, but if some guy starts using you as a punching bag, you are on your own."

Hey, if they want independence, providing their own defense if one of the hallmarks of a truly independent  person. Does their reach exceed their grasp??

Whadda ya think???

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I totally agree with you.

Just like the women that won't "let" their husbands own guns.

[i]"Fine honey.  I suggest you sleep with make-up on, so you can look good for the rapist.  If I can't have the tools to defend you, it's up to you to make them happy"[/i]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I really hate to stereotype but, here goes...

Most of the "professional" women with hyphenated names I have had the displeasure to encounter in the workplace have been a royal pain in the ass.  Truly "rebels without a cause" being extreme hard asses to everyone just in case someone might be thinking anti-feminist thoughts.

Truly difficult, make everyone in the workplace walk on eggshells with their repeated recitations of the EOE act, HR equality policies and all the things they could do to destroy a 'man' who crossed them.  And for no reason at all.  NONE!  NADA!  It truly is counter to getting anything done and I hate it.

I have come to find that they care not about [b]achieving[/b] success, but rather in having it [b]given[/b] to them just because of who/what they are.

Now, and I must stress this, I don't care if you're male/female/both/black/white/red/green/purple/yellow/orange/tie-dye as long as you give it your all.  Always succeeding is even second in my book to honestly giving it your all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong with hymenated women?  They're okay with me.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
...it could also be out of respect for their fathers...I've got three daughters....
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Treefrog might have a point there although I always thought they were worried they would forget their maiden name...

Could Spanish culture have any influence?  I know some Spanish MEN have hyphenated names...
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Of all things to get tweaked about, this one is pretty low on my list. I have known a few hyphenated women, and it is true... a couple of them did grow tiresome, because they "made a statement" with everything they did, hyphen included. Anyone with that much to prove gets pretty annoying really fast.

Oh well. Whatever makes you happy, I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...it could also be out of respect for their fathers...I've got three daughters....
View Quote

Actually my wife did this. Her brother died at 18 and there are no other children in her family. She did ask me how I felt about it beforehand. Stuff like this means little to me anyhow. Although it was a futile gesture on here part, our children certainly won't inherit a hyphenated name, it also was not a issue with me.

But the generalization does seem to hold true in most cases.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Actually my wife did this. Her brother died at 18 and there are no other children in her family. She did ask me how I felt about it beforehand. Stuff like this means little to me anyhow. Although it was a futile gesture on here part, our children certainly won't inherit a hyphenated name, it also was not a issue with me.

But the generalization does seem to hold true in most cases.
View Quote

That would be a funny name though

Steyr B. Aug-Mented Jr.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I suppose that if my last name was 'Smith' and I married a 'Saxe-Coburg Gotha' Princess, as Prince Albert did, I would want my children to have their mother's maiden name, as well as my own.

It apparently, didn't bother Graf Saxe that his name became intermingled with Duke Coburg, so why should it bother me?[:D]

Besides, [b]'Smith-Saxe-Coburg Gotha'[/b], has a nice ring to it!

Eric The(Saxe-CoburgGotha)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Hyphenated names, much like hyphenated Americans, are a weak attempt at defining yourself instead of just accepting who you are.

I've met more than my fair share of hyphenated women and Americans in my short life, and I can say many of them definitely had something to prove.  I certainly hope my daughter doesn't do that.  Understandably, if I didn't have a son, it would be a nice gesture, but a hollow one.  The bloodline goes on, which is all that matters to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell, she can use her own name for all I care.  There are way more important aspects to marriage than punctuation.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Pathetic attempt to have it both ways.

Makes the woman look utterly stupid.  I immediately view these women as irrational - and am usually never proven otherwise.

Yes, I do prejudge people by whatever information they give me - name, outward appearance, speaking ability, etc.

When you bastardize both your name and your husband's name just to try to show people how "progressive" and "independant" you are - you come off looking like the hapless, second-rate tripe that you really are.

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Ahhh, the dulcet, soothing tones of The_Macallan......

....ripping someone a new neckhole. [:D]

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Contrary to popular myth it has been my experience that women with hyphenated names do not suck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny thing is... you guys have only mentioned hyphenated names.  What about the women who want to keep their own name only?  My wife wanted this because, quote, 'It would be easier to keep the paperwork straight at my job (and with Social Security).' and 'Since my son's last name is such, there won't be any problems with the school'.  I knew it was BS, but I didn't really care as I usually give her what she wants anyway.  She eventually changed it (about 5 years later) and nothing bad came of it.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#18]
While we beat our chest, we should calculate the amount of money our wives sometime invest into our "hobby". Sh!t, they can keep their own nome if they want. They (she) are still in my bed at night (I hope! :)>>)
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Whadda ya think???
View Quote

i think you're looking for a reason to beat down on someone and should have a lot better things to do with your time.

personally, i don't like the hypenating of last names.  when i marry, i will take my husband's name.

however, i realize that there are reasons for hyphenating other than liberal, leftwing, feminist crap.  what do you care anyway?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pathetic attempt to have it both ways.

Makes the woman look utterly stupid.  I immediately view these women as irrational - and am usually never proven otherwise.

Yes, I do prejudge people by whatever information they give me - name, outward appearance, speaking ability, etc.

When you bastardize both your name and your husband's name just to try to show people how "progressive" and "independant" you are - you come off looking like the hapless, second-rate tripe that you really are.

View Quote

But how do you REALLY feel??  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Trying to come up with a 'nice' way to say something about this without offending my fellow members who have this situation to deal with isn't easy for me.
So, I won't.
I think it sucks and is a clear signal that the woman does not think of the man as the leader of the family.
Some have said it shows there's a screw loose in the woman's personality makeup.  I tend to agree.
It's just another little reason the world is as screwed up as it is.
MY OPINION.  Not humble at all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally I would be very offended if my wife would not want to take my last name. I mean if I had an ugly last name like fuggert or gorelick, then I could understand. I also belive that both the woman and the MAN should where rings. I have actually met guys before that don't want to wear a wedding ring, and married guys who don't. I personally want to where a ring. And I think it would be very important and a hell of alot easier if the wife took the husbans name.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I tend to think hyphendated naes are as goofy as hyphenated Americans - I tend to prefer my women "hymenated..."

As far as maintaining bloodlines goes, the Scots had a plan for keeping the Clans alive - male children bear the surnames of the father, and female children bear the maiden name of the mother.  It's what I would have done if I had had children...

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#25]
and FOUR chicks on here are hyphenated
View Quote

Near Spartanburg?  What has become of the area I where I grew-up and lived?  Well, if I meet one, I'll be sure to have an insulting remark prepared.z
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Per FMJunkie:I have come to find that they care not about achieving success, but rather in having it given to them just because of who/what they are.

Alot of this going around these days.........
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top