Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2001 2:08:22 AM EDT
As NRA members will know, an NRA packet just arrived in the mail that has two postcards that they want you to send; on the Bush and one to Heston.

I am not sending the Bush card because, frankly, it congratulates him on a good job of protecting our rights.  I do not know of any ambition he has to repeal any laws, or pass bills repealing them.  I do not know of any gun law he has full-heartedly opposed in Texas, either.

If the card said,"Congratulations on winning the presidency.  Us Americans are counting on you too make the second amendment relevant again, and to get these ridiculous laws off the books".

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't he sign legislation loosening restrictions on concealed carry during his last year in Texas?  I seem to remember the media trying to make a big scandal out of it, but it fizzled out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Obviously you should be happy that he is doing nothing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I am not happy he is doing nothing.  That should be a given.  I want some form of action for MY vote.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree Stubbs what I should have said is
"Obviously he thinks you should be happy that he is doing nothing"

The next action you will see is with a Democrat controlled house or senate or maybe president
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:48:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not saying that we sit back, rest on our laurels and assume that we won.  This just seems to show that he can be reasoned with.  When he signed that bill in Texas the election was far from certain.  His opponents made it clear that they would use it against him and he did it anyway.  That may not be everything, but at least it is SOMETHING.

If anything, this means that we should keep pushing the issue.  Any politician can become useless (or dangerous) if they get too comfortable and assume that they can coast on what they have already done.

BTW, it looks like this topic ended up on two threads at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't recieve any mailings with postcards from the NRA yet. Perhaps in the next few days.
For those who don't want to send the NRA post card to Bush, you should take the time to send a letter to President Bush and express your concerns of his protecting your 2nd amendment rights. That is what the President of the U.S. is there for, is it not?
I actually wrote a letter to Bush's office regarding my concerns of gun laws in my state and in the country.
I just made sure I asked for his support in a professional and respectful manner that the President deserves.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO-send the cards but also send personal letters to GW and your senators and your congressmen(State and Federal) urging them to protect your Constitutional rights. The gun grabbers do this all the time except they are urging your reps in govt to take your guns away. Your Senators and Congressmen will vote the way the loudest part of their constituency tell them to. They are not mind readers and you can not expect them to work for you if they do not know what you want them to do. Too many gun owners are way too apathetic about this. When the gun grabbers win and they come knocking on your door looking for your guns(and rest assured they WILL) will you honestly be able to say that you fought for your rights and told your reps to protect them for you. Will you be one of the SILENT millions who own guns and take that freedom for granted and don't do a damn thing about it except bitch a little? ALL gun owners(from the black gun AW crowd to the hunters to the trap and skeet shooters to the pistol shooters to the target rifle shooters to the home defense owners and everyone in between)need to UNITE to tell the  politicians that the Second Amendment MUST be protected at all costs. Gun owners as a whole are such a large group that we could stomp the gun grabbers into oblivion if we ALL would just work at it a little. If we do not become ACTIVISTS(ooh that word sounds so liberal it scares me) for our cause we will surely lose. I would rather work a little to keep our rights than lose them and let society turn me into a criminal(they will NEVER take MY guns-no matter what the laws say!). Just my 2 cents worth - Finnbear
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got my cards...
[img]http://members-http-3.rwc1.sfba.home.net/bigdb/pictures/mailing.jpg[/img]
The card, as I read it, congratulates him on winning the presidency. It encourages him to defend my rights and promises my support for doing so. I'm sending it.
I'm not sending the one to Chuck Heston, 'cause he'll stay if the job is offered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top