Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2002 8:30:48 AM EDT

Does anyone else think "Crack & Broken" makes junk?

In the past three months I've had two different models of NEW B&D toasters break down and a B&D weed-eater burn out.

I guess I should have know any company that makes BOTH a weed-eater AND a toaster probably can't make either one very well.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
For the record, I am not made by black & decker.[;D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
They make (Made?) some commercial/Industrial stuff that was decent, but their wandering into the domestic appliance realm has not helped their "Pecker Wrecker" image for quality control.

I still prefer Sioux, and Milwaukee..Makita is a very close followup.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
They make toasters now??  WTF???  Yea, sounds like they are making themselves a little thin.

On the other hand I own a B&D Dremel type tool and love it. $30 at HomeDepot after Christmas sale and still running great.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Meplat-
View Quote

What, no DeWalt?

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know much about their appliance items but they used to have some decent industrial grade tools.
As far as tools go.. every manufacturer has several items that they make good, like Milwakee makes the best drill motors and a real good "porta-band" Dewalt makes good cordless drill motors and grinders.
About the only thing I would buy from Black and Decker might be a grinder.
They used to make some other decent tools like a drill motor but have fallen behind.
I can see them putting out inferior products (like a toaster)with their name on them to make a buck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meplat-
View Quote

What, no DeWalt?

View Quote

DeWalt is Black & Decker. Same company just a different name.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Macallan:
Meplat:
..Sioux, and Milwaukee..Makita is a very close followup.
View Quote

What, no DeWalt?
View Quote

He mentioned DeWalt when he said: [i]"They make (Made?) some commercial/Industrial stuff..."[/i] [:)]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I use DeWalt almost exclusively. They're owned by B&D.  I like the quality of Dewalt stuff. I install Projection and sound systems, and my tools get beat to sh!+.
AIRBORNE!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the formerly high quality company now makes crap.
Sears Craftsman in my Father's day make high quality tools. Now, with some slight exceptions set forth in a 'code breaking' document on the web, crapsman power tools are raw junk, as bad or worse than B&D.
The bean counters like to take a great name, cheapen the hell out of it, make big profits for a few years, and use their stock options right before the public catches on.

B&D is Dewalt, the crappy Dewalt though...
read some of the woodworking groups to see what folks think of them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meplat-
View Quote

What, no DeWalt?
View Quote

DeWalt is Black & Decker. Same company just a different name.
View Quote

Well pinch my nose and poke me in the eye! [stick]

I walked right into that one. [BD]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
DeWalt is not B&D. DW is owned by BD. Totally seperate engineering,product and marketing. Black&Decker owns DeWalt, Kwikset, PricePfister. Kwikset still makes some great locks in the higher range but the entire companies(w/ exception of DeWalt) consumer product line I believe is crap. The parts are made all over the world and generraly assembled in Mexico or China. Trust me I worked there in sales and warranty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#13]
DeWalt (or "DeFault" as I call them) Make good cordless drills, Skillsaws, Circular saws, Mitres, and other light to medium duty tools. I stay away from DeFault chopsaws and metal working tools and the HD stuff. I prefer Milwaukee. However, usually I buy what I can afford.

Yes they are B&D, yes there is a difference. B&D stuff is now bottom-of-the-line "toy tools" in neat little kits for handy housewives.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
bosch or metabo.

is dewalt still putting sleazy plastic gears in their tools? i'll never own another black/yellow as long as i live after dealing with that worthless outfit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#15]
"On the other hand I own a B&D Dremel type tool and love it. $30 at HomeDepot after Christmas sale and still running great."

SGtar15,

If you can't find the off switch, just unplug the sukka!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top