Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2002 1:23:54 AM EDT
[I just found this article in a local East German newspaper [url]http://www.otz.de[/url], had the computer translate it. I'm lazy. Tried to smoothen out the edges a bit, though.]

[b]They come from New York for a Easter visit to Jena[/b]

By OTZ editor Reinhard Querengässer, Jena. Since Thursday 15 girl and boys from New York have been in Jena. They come from Manhattan, the district hit by the terrorist attack of 9-11, 2001.
The 16-year-old young people belong to a group of 120 young Americans who go to Germany until April 8th. "The bridge/Die Bruecke" is the name the joint project of the Federal Government and the German economy which makes this stay possible for the girls and boys from New York. They are children from New York families, whose apartments or schools took damage or are closed due the destruction of the World Trade Center.
Host for the visit in Jena lasting until Easter Monday is Jenoptik AG. The stay in the 15 host families with whom the visitors are accommodated since last night was also organized by the company. The guests shall get to know the life in German families from the USA in this "Homestay" time during the Easter holidays.
The daughters and sons of the same age of the host families and their friends already established contacts with their visitors in the afternoon.
Immediately after the arrival at the Paradise Station [one of two train stations in Jena, Kar98] the group worked its way by bus to the Dornburg castles. After a meal there, the young people then searched for (and found) Easter eggs on the castle grounds.
After being presented with large chocolates Easter bunnies, the group then returned to Jena to look at a laser show in the planetarium. A stroll through the town then stood on the program before one met the host parents at the Jenoptik in the old skyscraper at 6 p.m.
During the stroll through the town Christopher found that Jena doesn't look at all just like he has imagined German towns. "It's just like some American town!", he said, looking at the facade of the Intershop [a software company, Kar98] tower. Chris, as the Jena girls Susanne and Katrin called him, is the guest of the Engert family of the nearby village Ammerbach. And there the visitor New York will notice  that Jena can be quite rural, too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I was fortunate. During my visits to Munich to visit family, I got to experience Old World culture, beauty, and hospitality. Some day, I hope to be able to take my children there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Huh?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Huh?
View Quote

Yeah?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
1) What does Germany have to do with 9/11?
2) Why are kids in Germany because of it?
3) How did you translate that to english?[:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1) What does Germany have to do with 9/11?

Germany is an ally of the US.

2) Why are kids in Germany because of it?

A "get-away-from-it-all" holiday was organized by German industry and cities for kids from Manhattan. It's called a "friendly gesture".

3) How did you translate that to english?[:D]

A program called Linguatec Personal Translator. Works better than babelfish, but only if the source text is written in proper grammar, which you can't expect from a local fish wrapper :)
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Huh?
View Quote

Shouldn't you be hanging out by the ladies room at some bar, or dumpster diving for some kettle korn??
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Is Jena a hooker ?

Seriously, I've been all over Germany and never heard of a place called "Jena."
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps you would recognize the town of Jena better by one of it's famous industries.....
Zeiss Optics.
Ring a bell yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seriously, I've been all over Germany and never heard of a place called "Jena."
View Quote

All over Germany? Now why am I not believing this?

[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/jena.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.jena.de/jena.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, that Jena...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Well lookie there... I musta been asleep on the train or drunk.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#12]
After the wall came down I visited East Germany every weekend. Used to go to Jena and Weimer quite a bit. Nice area. There was a huge HIND base in the area and we would run into Russian Aviation dudes a lot. drank a lot of wodka with them. I picked up a lot of russain uniform stuff including a russian flight helmet.

The Buchenwald concentration camp is in that area as well. I wonder if the kids from NEw York are going to get to visit it as well?

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

[img]http://www.jena.de/jena.jpg[/img]
View Quote

So what is the "skyscraper" in the middle of the village?  Is that a US Flag on it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After the wall came down I visited East Germany every weekend. Used to go to Jena and Weimer quite a bit. Nice area.
View Quote

LOL, no shit? I was born in that area.
[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/spe357.jpg[/img]

The Buchenwald concentration camp is in that area as well. I wonder if the kids from NEw York are going to get to visit it as well?
View Quote

Yeah, probably, they are going to drag them through it, I'd guess, instead of showing them the hollow mountain nearby, where they assembled those cool Me 262s.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL, no shit? I was born in that area.
View Quote

Well then you would be perfect to answer my question.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So what is the "skyscraper" in the middle of the village?
View Quote

The shiny, round tower is the HQ of Intershop, a quite successful software company: [url]http://www.intershop.com/#worldwide[/url].
The buildings around it are the university, the Carl Zeiss building and the Schott & Co building (heat resistant glass)

Is that a US Flag on it?
View Quote

Dunno, too small. Not bloody likely though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top