User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2002 12:53:16 AM EDT
How many wear seat belts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Always. Experience showed the little inconvenience is worth it.
You know how the belt doesn't retract anymore after an accident? I've worn out four seatbelts that way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Kar98,

Your right, I used to never wear mine until I hit the rear view mirror in a accident, would have walked away if I had my belt on. Instead I was picking mirror out of my forehead for a week.

And now that I am in the Police Academy, we have been shown tons of photos of accidents with and without seatbelted occupants......very, very graphic difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of the time with the only real exception being from here to work and back.  Only a couple miles.  I know, I know...most accidents supposedly happen within a few miles of your place of residence.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Since most accidents take place within 20 miles from home, it depends on how far away I am.  If I am within 20 miles I always wear my seatbelt.  Once I am more than twenty miles away I am completely safe and remove it because it chafes my neck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I always wear the belt.  I used to just bop around without one.  It was like riding in a covered wagon or something....  Really cool.

Then I watched some kid get thrown from a car (with four people in it) and he was the only one injured.  I believe he died.  But I'm not exactly sure as I never had the guts to look it up.  I was there to help at the time... but I didn't want to know if my help was futile.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was young and dumb never,
Now its the first thing I do when I drive.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:47:29 AM EDT
[#9]
They've saved me from serious injury in the past.  I contine to use them on the off chance I'll need them again.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I'll go against the grain here.  Never.  I find it a HUGE invasion that the government feels it can tell me I have to wear one.  Actually, now that I think about it I do wear mine while off-road, but never on road.  I might add that I have been in my share of accidents, all of which I was not wearing my belt.  Yeah I have had some broken noses I might not have had otherwise, but I still feel it is my right to choose whether or not I wear it.  Right up there with helmet laws, which, suprisingly, Illinois does not have.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I always where my seatbelt.  (except when arriving at a scene, cruising at low speeds by the bars, etc.  Place when I can expect to need to get out of the car fast.)  I've been at enough accident scenes in various capacities to know that a seatbelt can save a lot of injuries.  I've also have a relative that was killed in an accident he was not at fault in, where he would have likely been OK with a seatbelt.

garheadjr:  I tend to agree with you, and don't think that the gov't should be able to tell me to were my seatbelt.  (when I'm an adult.  I like child-safety seat laws a lot.)  On the other hand, I do think its a good idea, and therefore were it.  Just because the gov't is going to tell me what to do, doesn't mean I'm going to do the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Haha, your not wearing something because the Govt says you should?  All you are doing is putting yourself at risk big time.

My first year driving I didn't until my friend took Drivers Ed.  He made me buckle up each time I was with him and from then on I wear it EVERYTIME I'm in a car.  After awhile it becomes automatic and the few times I've removed it for a second (taking off a jacket or something) I feel like I'm about to slide out of the seat.  Ok, not really but I think everyone knows what I mean when I say that.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Ever been bounced into the back seat by an airbag?  It sucks.

Always wear a seatbelt if you have airbags.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Working in an ICU, I have seen too much trauma and death caused by not wearing them.  I always wear mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I do, and wore a motorcycle helmet at all times, too.  

I'd have absolutely no problem if *you* didn't as long as you also didn't ask me to pay for your care if/when you received a spinal cord or head injury.  Unfortunately, the spinal cord/brain injury rehab. programs that our insurance and/or tax dollars pay for are full of guys exercising their *freedom* from such restraints.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll go against the grain here.  Never.  I find it a HUGE invasion that the government feels it can tell me I have to wear one.  Actually, now that I think about it I do wear mine while off-road, but never on road.  I might add that I have been in my share of accidents, all of which I was not wearing my belt.  Yeah I have had some broken noses I might not have had otherwise, but I still feel it is my right to choose whether or not I wear it.  Right up there with helmet laws, which, suprisingly, Illinois does not have.
View Quote
That is the dumbest reason in the world not to wear a seat belt, a protest against the gubmint.  I have been wearing them since the sixties simply because it makes sense.  Look at all the SUV rollover fatalaties.  Over 90 percent died because they were ejected because they were not wearing their belt.

I say do away with seat belt and helmet laws with the provisio that if you are not wearing a seat belt in a car or helmet on a motorcycle that you recieve no medical care and are just put in a room to die.  Clean up the gene pool that way.  I sure as hell don't want to pay higher medical insurance or taxes to keep some vegetable alive because they were too stupid to wear a belt/helmet.  It all goes back to accepting responsibility and consequences for our own actions, which we all preach here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]
LARRYG and DScott stated my position perfectly - if you get into an accident and weren't wearing a seatbelt or helmet, then you're put in a "dying room" and left there, unless someone with enough cash wants you treated. Insurance wouldn't pay for it, because why should everyone else's premiums go up for your stupidity?

I'm 100% against seatbelt or helmet laws - I feel people should be able to do stupid things if they want. The only exception is a parent should be required to belt/helmet their children. But, just because I'm against mandatory use doesn't mean I'm against using them - not wearing a setbelt or helmet is downright STRUPID, a lot like not using a condom when having sex with a bisexual Haitian intravenous drug user who's tested positive for HIV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't take too many nights on call in the trauma suite to figure out that always wearing a seatbelt is a good idea.  

I would sure as hell get to sleep more on call if more people would wear their seatbelts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
The goverment telling me I have to wear my belt is not the reason I dont wear one.  I dont wear one because I CHOOSE not to.  I only made the statement to the seatbelt laws to point out that I have become guilty of a traffic violation due to a choice I make regarding my own safety.  Upon re-reading my post I can see how it could be construed that way.  If I die, I die, my fault, no bitches.  I will not live on life support and have no intention of being a vegetable.  I also rarely use a light to get to my deer stand and regularly boat without wearing my life jacket.  These are choices I make about my own personal safety and I accept the risks that coincide with them.  You may now return to your regularly scheduled flaming.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I do, [b]ALWAYS[/b], feel naked without it..
I do it not because it is the right thing to do nor cause the government mandates it...

I do it cause Im 26,Ex-Marine.. and Im still scared my dad will see me at the corner NOT wearing mine and proced to beat the living $hit out of me...
Learned to drive with it ON and just [i]feels[/i] wrong without it..

Cluster
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Like Aimless I have worn my seatbelt since the day I began to drive, which was long before it was mandatory.   This was mainly due to the fact that my first car had 365HP and 465FT LBS of torque + the car had an excellent suspension and I put wide tires at all four corners and I drove this car like it was meant to be driven. So to keep from being thrown all aroound the car I and my passengers wore our seatbelts full time (although the passnegers may have been wearing theirs because they were scared to death):(  

now I wear it cause it is the smart thing to do.    BTW, I have driven apprx. 1,000,000 miles and have never been involved in an accident.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes. I live in a small town and while s*%t can still happen I don't put it on to drive to work..1.5 miles, or to the post office...8-9 blocks, or the grocery store...4 blocks.

But anytime I leave city limits and am traveling on the hiway/interstate I buckle up before the car is started. Same with driving in a different town.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I do. My wife needs me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#28]
95% of the time. The other 5% I forgot to put it on. I keep trying.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How many wear seat belts?
View Quote

When in the car, all the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#31]
When LotBoy drives his truck he always wears a seat belt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
 I have survived two head-on collisions in 3 years primarily b/c i was wearing my harness.  I'd almost certainly be paralyzed had I not.  'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Always, In a jeep with a soft top getting ejected in an accident or rollover is a very real possibility the seatbelt is the only way to ensure that does not happen.
Besides I rolled my Wifes cherokee last year 5 times after I fell asleep at the wheel comming home after an especially long day despite the total --and I mean total- destruction of the vehicle around me I litterally stepped out of the wreck and walked away If I hadnt put the seatbelt on I would have been seriously injured or killed just prior to my daughter being born.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Hell no, and I had my GD airbag disconnected too!  If I am going to die in a car accident, I am gonna die right---no restraints, right through the steering wheel, out the window and into oncoming traffic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I do, and wore a motorcycle helmet at all times, too....Unfortunately, the [i]spinal cord[/i]/brain injury rehab. programs that our insurance and/or tax dollars pay for are full of guys exercising their *freedom* from such restraints.
View Quote

Spinal cord injuries and helmets?  Now, you're stretching it.  You're more likely to be in an accident because of restricted vision, limited hearing, and increased fatigue while wearing one.  You're also more likely to have a spinal injury with the increased weight on your head, just like a driver in a car with a helmet (e.g. Dale Earnhardt).  If you're concerned about spinal injuries (and about reducing the number of accidents), you should argue against helmets.z
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to be "most of the time".

Then my son was in a bad accident (totaled his truck) and he walked away from it (Thank you, Lord). I am convined that, the air-bag and seatbelt saved his life.

Now it's "All the time"
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I hit a tree with a 69 Nova powered with a 350 LT1, was going over 100mph, hit on passenger side door, frame broke at unibody welds, from the dash forward ended up 75 feet away. I undid my belts (shoulder was a seperate belt back then) stood up, since the roof was peeled back and walked away with few scratches, since then everybody in my cars are required to wear belts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#41]
The last time I wore a seatbelt was driving the "Espinozo del Diable" (Devil's Backbone) – classed as 9th worst road in the world (Durango – Mex), and I knew it would be 'a bit dicey' at speed.

I know all the reasons, I've taken all kinds of advanced driving courses and I know EVERY professional racing/rally driver wears all kinds of restraint harnesses ect.

I remember some years ago Berger (during F1 testing) had his thottles stick open at 160 mph. He hit a barier and his harness saved his life. But, somehow, I cannot put-up with the inconvenience during regular driving.

I guess I'm just really stupid (you've only got to ask my wife).
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I learned the hard way.I was 19 at the time.

I was in the passenger seat of an Omni, the car ahead of us grabbed the hooks hard on the hwy during rush hour, we slammed the brakes and got rearended by another car and pushed into the car ahead of us.  I embedded both my knees about 4 inches into the dashboard when we hit.

I can now tell you when its going to rain, I have days where it is hell to sit for a while.  Other days it is hell to try and walk.  multiple x-rays have shown nothing, but they can't tell why they hurt. As much as I tried to exercise them, including hiking and jogging. I cannot run to far without having them hurt like a s.o.b., thus the reason I didn't follow through with going into the service after school.  Although I was lucky to not go through the window, and lucky enough to be able to walk, It still aggravates me to no end when I get slowed down by this.

Wear your seatbelt.

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I do not offer this as an alternative to wearing  seatbelts, but...

In almost every dire driving situation, the normal response is to just lock-up those (non ABS) brakes – often, it's the worst thing you can do – less braking effect and no directional control!

Teach people to DRIVE cars, make them understand that (BMW or GM) it's all about balance. Make driving a car an achievment, not some everyday task, like putting bread in a toaster – despite the motor indusrtry's self-serving declaration that it's so simple – it's not!

I know I'm "pissing against the wind', but it needs to be said!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Probably 99% of the time, with that 1% being the 30 seconds I forgot to put it on after leaving the parking lot. I don't need a law to tell me to have half a brain.

The only time I have not worn it is when riding in someone's POS economy car and the seat belt did not fit. In that case, most likely the car didn't fit me either and I drove my own the next time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Always for the last 15 years and never before that, even after a through the windshield collision with a tree. About a year before my oldest started to drive, I figured I couldn't get him to wear a seat belt if I didn't wear mine. Now the car don't move until the belt's on.

Fred
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#46]
My 21yr old cousin was a sleeping passenger in the front seat of a car when
the driver of the car fell asleep at the wheel doing approx.80mph,hit the underside of an overpass. Both driver and my cousin, not wearing seatbelts,were catapulted through the windshield,BOTH broke thier necks,and were found
by TN state troopers on the hood of the car,still twitching,mangled and extremely disfigured.This all happened in July 1986.My cousin was an all-american football quarterback at Farragut HS,TN.His name was Mike Bland.
Now he's dead; because he didn't wear his seatbelt.AND because he trusted someone else with his life.

Because of this,I don't even like riding
as a passenger with ANYONE!Even my wife.
And you know,sometimes,I STILL forget to put
on my seatbelt.But it doesn't take me long to remember to buckle up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Mike Bland? I remember that. I was a senior at Oak Ridge when that happened. Tragic to say the least.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Got into the habit early in my driving when I had a '72 LeMans with a bench seat. Armorall was brand new at the time, so of course I did the interior top to bottom, even the pedals, and later that night went out looking for a race. I took a left turn kind of hot, and suddenly found myself in the passenger seat, with a stunned look on my face, at 60+ mph. I was sold...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I do not offer this as an alternative to wearing  seatbelts, but...

In almost every dire driving situation, the normal response is to just lock-up those (non ABS) brakes - often, it's the worst thing you can do - less braking effect and no directional control!

Teach people to DRIVE cars, make them understand that (BMW or GM) it's all about balance. Make driving a car an achievment, not some everyday task, like putting bread in a toaster - despite the motor indusrtry's self-serving declaration that it's so simple - it's not!

I know I'm "pissing against the wind', but it needs to be said!
View Quote

It seems to me that you are under the impression that you have anything at all to say about being in an accident.  All it takes is one dumbass running a light with you in the wrong place at the wrong time and you my friend are dead.  I agree with many of the above posts:  Take a tour in the ER or with the Paramedics and you WILL change your mind.  It's also an EXTREMELY selfish attitude to adopt if anyone on the planet loves you at all.  I urge you to reconsider your position.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Stcyr, I'm with you, people need to learn how to control their vehicle, PERIOD!  Our pitiful drivers NO-ED classes continue to put thousands of persons out on the streets allowing them to believe they actually no how to drive their vehicle. Yet the only thing that is taught is how to drive when everything is going right!  We need to restructure our schools to teach people how to drive when all is not right,  ie: its raining and the traffic on the freeway has just come to a complete halt directly in front of you. Or, you just woke up and discovered that you have driven off the rodeway and are headed for a deep ravine.  Better yet, you are driving an SUV at a high rate of speed and suddenly the tread seperates on one of your tires!    (the biggest farce to hit a US corp. ever  IMO)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top