Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2010 10:09:51 AM EDT
Any idea what they are. Do I need to treat them or not worry about them?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#1]
soapy water in spray bottle

or

lady bug

or

shotgun
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
spider mites?  exterminate with extreme prejudice.

ETA - tomato leaf damage pic

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
They are big enough that I can see them crawling.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Napalm. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like red spider mites - has it been hot and dry there? The first line of defense against red spider mites is to periodically mist plants with a very fine spray of water, taking care to wet the undersides of the leaves as they don't like wet conditions. They can also be controlled with pyrethrum, derris or soft soap solutions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Found a tomato horn worm at my dad's place for the first time ever.
I've had them to excess at my house in the country, we get loads of moths and other stuff that do all sorts of damage.

When the hornworms hit, I don't mess around.

Sevin. I don't care about principle when a little bitty ass worm/caterpillar can defoliate an entire hearty tomato plant overnight.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Aphids
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Red with black spots? Kill with fire!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had them to excess at my house in the country, we get loads of moths and other stuff that do all sorts of damage.

Sevin. I don't care about principle when a little bitty ass worm/caterpillar can defoliate an entire hearty tomato plant overnight.

Another, cheaper, less invasive and potentially unhealthy option:

Slit a toilet paper tube lengthwise, and place around the base of the tomato plant.

Worms can't get on the plant, problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slit a toilet paper tube lengthwise, and place around the base of the tomato plant.

My understanding of the hornworm is that the moth lays an egg on the plant itself, so they have no need to climb the stalk. They're already on it.  It's not a real worm anyway. It's a larval flying thing. A caterpillar.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding of the hornworm is that the moth lays an egg on the plant itself, so they have no need to climb the stalk. They're already on it.  It's not a real worm anyway. It's a larval flying thing. A caterpillar.

Touche.  I think I'm thinking of cutworms.  Planting marigolds around your tomatoes is supposed to keep off hornworms.  We did that this year, and so far so good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like maybe red spider mites.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touche.  I think I'm thinking of cutworms.  Planting marigolds around your tomatoes is supposed to keep off hornworms.  We did that this year, and so far so good.

You're right about the marigolds repelling the hornworms. That's what I wound up doing at my house. For the last few years I've started a tray of marigolds just for that purpose.  Guess it slipped my mind when I was doing the seed starts this year.   We'll head to the nursery later tonight for some that are already blooming.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Use this. I use it on my plants.

My garden is kicking ass right now.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/bf/bf466a43-1e37-4371-98eb-1a4520bda27c_300.jpg

This is what I use, too. BEST STUFF OUT THERE.

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
That will teach your tomato plants to hang out with those slutty plants from the bad part of town.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thuricide is much better for worms.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
spider mites?  exterminate with extreme prejudice.

ETA - tomato leaf damage pic

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/nelsons/Misc/1_beans_spider_mites_1.jpg

There are also agricultural oils that work well on these bastards.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Kelthane, if you have any.  But red spider mites develop resistance to it so it only is effective once per season.  

Be DAMN careful with soaps and oils as these are TOXIC to tomatoes.  Much more toxic than Kelthane.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]

They look pretty simular to that. They are pretty small it's hard to tell.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kelthane, if you have any.  But red spider mites develop resistance to it so it only is effective once per season.  

Be DAMN careful with soaps and oils as these are TOXIC to tomatoes.  Much more toxic than Kelthane.

Keith J speaks the truth.  Red spider mites are a pest in peanuts as well.  When it is hot and dry, they can erupt in your field, or garden.  Walking through the field, or running garden tractors or tillers through the garden or field spreads them too.  Kelthane lost its label in peanuts, but it used to work well.  It is actually less toxic than the product that replaced it.  It is still labeled for tomatoes as far as I know.  It is safe enough to use one day, and eat the tomatoes 24 hours later.  So...

If you can get a little Kelthane, use it.  If not, then pray for rainy, cooler weather, and they will die off on their own.  I am not sure about other products that you might find at a garden center as I never used them for mites.   As a precaution, NEVER cut the grass or ditchbanks near your garden while it is dry and hot.  You will just spread these mites from those areas to your garden.  Stay out of those areas as well, because you will transfer them into the garden.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Mites.  They usually move in when a tomato plant is already stressed - often from under-watering.  Soapy water spray - especially UNDER the leaves.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always had good success with Sevin dust.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They look pretty simular to that. They are pretty small it's hard to tell.

I used to get them every year when I grew tomatoes. They will grow into adults that will destroy a crop. I used to call them stink bugs but found out they are called leaffooted bugs. I would go outside and smash them by hand daily until they stopped returning. But I only had a handful of plants. Not sure if the soapy water suggestion would work more efficiently.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I went with seven dust today. Well see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top