Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2010 8:22:12 PM EDT
I see a lot of people supporting a stop on drilling in the Gulf Of Mexico.
I just want to show how bad it is going to hurt my state and eventually yours

The Oilfield industry in Louisiana supplies jobs for approx 81,000 (1997)Directly.
Im guessing it is around 200,000 with support jobs such as rental tools and supply companies
The seafood industry  in 2008 provided approx.1.3 billion pounds of seafood valued at $661 million
The gulf provides 60% of the US oysters and 75% Shrimp each year.

Just a breakdown from someone who actually lives here and can tell you how bad its going to be.

I can understand not giving a shit but those that are trashing our state and yelling for a stop on drilling what the hell are you thinking ?

Take this in mind first before you support Zero
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Amen.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel for all of you guys and I fear this is a disaster that will have an impact for 50 years if not longer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Oilfield industry in Louisiana supplies jobs for approx 81,000 (1997)Directly.
Im guessing it is around 200,000 with support jobs such as rental tools and supply companies
The seafood industry  in 2008 provided approx.1.3 billion pounds of seafood valued at $661 million

Just a breakdown from someone who actually lives here and can tell you how bad its going to be.

I can understand not giving a shit but those that are trashing our state and yelling for a stop on drilling what the hell are you thinking ?

This is a Major tragedy that is going to do some SERIOUS damage on the U.S economy. My hopes and prayers that everything get better but they usually get worse before they do. I hope people are waking up and realizing that having a hollywood president isn't going to fix real life problems.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for one of the Ambulance companies . We are privately owned and tied up in the oilfied also for safety jobs.We are in this right now. Our street medics are going to the cleanup sites to fill in. There has not been much of a slowdown yet but I feel it coming. Every town is based somehow on the oilfield .It trickles down all the way .
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
How do people get to Florida for vacation?  Horse and buggy?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]

As a Florida resident, I'm ashamed that our state has a ban on offshore drilling.  It's a national security issue, and we're not pulling our weight.

I drove my car tonight and it didn't run on Pixie-farts and rainbows.

It ran on gasoline.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 neighbor.

My take on this:

BP should of told Obama 'We fucked up and we're going to fix this right quick' and went and did what needed to be done and told the .gov to fuck off. If Obama threatened them, they should of said 'Bring it' and then they could lay this squarely on his doorstep when they got stopped by the military.

BP's CEO is a dumbass for his dumbass comments. He may talk to UK people that way, but don't fuck with the cajuns that way. They'll rip his head off and shit down his throat.

.Gov should have said 'What do you need and how fast do you need it here?' at least by day 2.

Everyone is saying that this is Obama's 'Hostage situation' This is so far beyond Carter's hostage situation. This is right in our backyard and can affect many more people for many more years, IMO. The Iran situation was bad, but it took what, 2 weeks of Reagan, and it was over.

The govs of the coastal states are all Repub's ( Crist, meh ). They should of told Obama that they were going to do what they needed to do to help out and if he didn't like it, he could pound sand. Call his narcissistic bluff. He's a paper-pushing pussy. I think if people stand up to him he'll wither.

MP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As a Florida resident, I'm ashamed that our state has a ban on offshore drilling.  It's a national security issue, and we're not pulling our weight.

I drove my car tonight and it didn't run on Pixie-farts and rainbows.

It ran on gasoline.

Someone needs to tell our Furor-n-chief about this.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The Ripple affects will be horrible
the ban of drilling in waters 500 ft and over has shut down 23 rigs out of 50 something rigs drilling in the gulf.
think how many companies this affects. personnel wise, its in the thousands, if not in the tens of thousands.
Rig workers, cooks, janitors, supply boats, boat crews deck hands, ports and all their associated workers, fuel companies and their workers.  food suppliers, workers, paper supplies and on and on.  
Not to mention the loss of  our seafood industries and all their associated workers.  All these will have to go on unemployment and tax the state.  
And dare I say what happens when the marsh washes away because all the grass and trees are dying.  The underlying marsh is about 3-4 ft deep.  when that washes away, it will be clear water.  Next time a big hurricane comes thorough the marsh won't be there to slow it down.  So we will all be under water next time.
Great things to look forward to on the coast.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Im estimating a near 2 year clean up on this WHEN it does stop. Yes the rig management was fucked and this should not have happened. It seems I live in the forgotten state. Even when it was a Demacratic state we got shit on . At least my Govenor isnt crying on national TV and is trying to get it done. All he needs is money to fund it and we will do it. So far nothing Its amazing how fast the Banks get help .
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Thus far the comments in this thread smack of common sense and connecting the dots in a realistic way.  For that I congratulate you all.

UNFORTUNATELY the people in the Administration are not accustom to this type of thinking and I fear they will never grasp the concept. Politics is their motivation ... not solutions.
 "Never waste a crisis..."

My heart goes out those "locals" that are most personally affected by the spill and the lack of true leadership in rectifying the situation.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Im estimating a near 2 year clean up on this WHEN it does stop. Yes the rig management was fucked and this should not have happened. It seems I live in the forgotten state. Even when it was a Demacratic state we got shit on . At least my Govenor isnt crying on national TV and is trying to get it done. All he needs is money to fund it and we will do it. So far nothing Its amazing how fast the Banks get help .

I know it sounds bad and the media is just scouring the shoreline for dead animals.  In reality, this is nothing like Prince William Sound because it is warm, there are no rock beaches for oil to hide and the marshes are a good buffer to oil.  Wait for the vegetation to dry out, then control burn it, scrape it and reestablish plants with dredge material.  Plenty of that from the Mississippi.

Then they should think about restoring wetlands with regular application of dredge spoil.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Ask the alaskans how well exxon did with the cleanup and paying for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it sounds bad and the media is just scouring the shoreline for dead animals.  In reality, this is nothing like Prince William Sound because it is warm, there are no rock beaches for oil to hide and the marshes are a good buffer to oil.  Wait for the vegetation to dry out, then control burn it, scrape it and reestablish plants with dredge material.  Plenty of that from the Mississippi.

Then they should think about restoring wetlands with regular application of dredge spoil.

Regardless it's going to take alot of work, and it seems the President is kind of going idle on the deal. I suppose when your doing cameo's with a variety of sport teams, it's hard to find time to *send* help to the working men and women of the eastern coast to get this mess taken care of.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 i agree i get reports from a friend who commercially fishes out of pennsecola
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The problem is the Marsh slows down the water. We have issues even when its not a good hit on us. There will be REALLY FING BAD flooding . I live just above the flood line in central LA and Im still scared .
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I truly believe ZERO wants this to linger so he can use it as ammo for his cap & trade bullshit.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Watch for energy prices to rise.

If wells are not drilled today, they won't be producing in a few years.  Meanwhile, current wells will produce less and less as time goes by.

There are still platforms and wells damaged from Katrina, Rita, Gustav, and Ike.  

The ripple effect of all the lost jobs will be tremendous.  And all this at a time when the industry has just barely been hanging on, not recovering.  There are a lot of rigs "stacked", that is, idle, just parked and rusting away.

But that's all OK, the very thought of an oily pelican dying is just unbearable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I truly believe ZERO wants this to linger so he can use it as ammo for his cap & trade bullshit.

On the nose.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
well my thoughts are in my own thread on the mess.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1049464
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ask the alaskans how well exxon did with the cleanup and paying for it.

Different geology, MUCH higher sea temperature and easier access.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now you know what it's like to work in a family owned stamping plant that supplies the auto industry at a time when ARFCOM joins in a chorus saying "SCREW THE UAW, LET DETROIT BURN!".

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1 neighbor.

My take on this:

BP should of told Obama 'We fucked up and we're going to fix this right quick' and went and did what needed to be done and told the .gov to fuck off. If Obama threatened them, they should of said 'Bring it' and then they could lay this squarely on his doorstep when they got stopped by the military.

BP's CEO is a dumbass for his dumbass comments. He may talk to UK people that way, but don't fuck with the cajuns that way. They'll rip his head off and shit down his throat.

.Gov should have said 'What do you need and how fast do you need it here?' at least by day 2.

Everyone is saying that this is Obama's 'Hostage situation' This is so far beyond Carter's hostage situation. This is right in our backyard and can affect many more people for many more years, IMO. The Iran situation was bad, but it took what, 2 weeks of Reagan, and it was over.

The govs of the coastal states are all Repub's ( Crist, meh ). They should of told Obama that they were going to do what they needed to do to help out and if he didn't like it, he could pound sand. Call his narcissistic bluff. He's a paper-pushing pussy. I think if people stand up to him he'll wither.

MP.

I want to take a moment to point out that excellent comment.  We all know that the federal government doesn't have the expertise or equipment to immediately deal with the catastrophe.  Their response should have been one of support and assistance, not finger pointing and hamstringing.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 neighbor.

My take on this:

MP.

I want to take a moment to point out that excellent comment.  We all know that the federal government doesn't have the expertise or equipment to immediately deal with the catastrophe.  Their response should have been one of support and assistance, not finger pointing and hamstringing.

That's a good point, similar to something that another part of the government does well –– CIA doesn't have the capabilities that it had in the 1970s, but what they still can do pretty well (and that doesn't depend on the cooperation of the military) is send a polite, clean, well-spoken college grad with a huge suitcase full of money and satellite phones into the east asshole of nowhere to chat with a bunch of illiterate savages.  This impresses the crap out of the illiterate savages and, for a reasonable time after the money has been delivered, there is a lot of cooperation.  The CIA is known for showing up with money and not killing you.  That's a good reputation to have in some parts of the world.  Yes, money gets wasted, stolen, and so on.  Yes, the people getting the money are not always the nicest folks out there.  But it greases wheels like you wouldn't believe.  If Zero had said on the first day of the crisis "We are suspending spending in a number of other areas –– right now all of the money we have is available to Louisiana, no strings attached", well, a lot would have been stolen, wasted, and so on, but there would have also been an explosion of activity, particularly if Zero had done nothing other than go into every small town in every parish and had given them millions of dollars on the spot (and then had published how much and who got it).

I have very limited faith in the Feds outside of a few agencies (and that depends on the administration, and changes radically) moving fast, but they can give money to local folks who can get every able-bodied man out there the next day at $50/hr.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Watch for energy prices to rise.

If wells are not drilled today, they won't be producing in a few years.  Meanwhile, current wells will produce less and less as time goes by.

There are still platforms and wells damaged from Katrina, Rita, Gustav, and Ike.  

The ripple effect of all the lost jobs will be tremendous.  And all this at a time when the industry has just barely been hanging on, not recovering.  There are a lot of rigs "stacked", that is, idle, just parked and rusting away.

But that's all OK, the very thought of an oily pelican dying is just unbearable.

The whole logistical tail is not understood at all by people who have never been in any industry that needs to do things other than move paper (and I am not denigrating moving paper, either).  It's not just the wells that won't get drilled, it's the orders for carbide to Kennametal that won't go through, the small machine shops in Houston that will not put on the part time people permanent, it's the hot shot drivers that will go ahead and just keep the Dodge Cummins that they have instead of buying a second one, and so forth.  When there is a resumption of activity, it will take 18 months to get people lined up who will be able to do the unpleasant, difficult things well –– no matter what you are paying them –– in an industry where people like that are needed.  What do I mean?  Welding inside of a drilling structure when it's 102 outside with 95% humidity, working on a rig in the Texas summer, making 16 deliveries in three days over a 50 county area of really expensive oil tools where you have to get someplace remote, unload, do a ton of paperwork properly (yes, for a 15 curie source, let alone three or four), and get out of there, while not getting tickets, getting into accidents, or being a jerk to anyone who will complain bitterly, and so on.

You can't turn this on and off like a switch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Drove down the beach in Biloxi on the way to the gun show ( not a damn thing there.. ) and people were out sunning and in the water. Didn't see any boats out in the sound. Maybe we're spared? Yea, right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top