Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2010 11:08:21 AM EDT
I'm looking to do a first hunting safari in Africa and would like some advice.  I've read through all of the threads in the Safari section and posted this there, but it doesn't look like there's much traffic in that area.

I would like to go for a 7-8 day trip. Probably alone. I'd love to take a Kudu and a Zebra, but am not committed to any other animals. No dangerous game or Big 5; probably a total of 4 animals.

Location - Right now I'm leaning towards South Africa. Is there someplace better? Any recommendations for companies there?

Timing - My work schedule is such that I can't really go until October or November. Is that going to create a problem, or is it still early enough into the summer that it's okay?

Pricing - I'm budgeting $10k including airfare but not including taxidermy charges. This seems doable looking at the prices I'm seeing online. I'd like to get a business class ticket, but that may push it to $12k.

Gun - I've got a Remington 700 in 30-06 with a Leupold VXII 3-9x50, which I suppose would work. I'd prefer a .375 H&H and may buy one ahead of time, but have seen that some of the safari companies will rent/loan guns. Anybody done that?

Walking - I've got a permanently messed up left ankle and leg. I'm fine with getting around, but if I'm on my feet more than 3-4 hours I will be in serious pain the next day. How much actual stalking and walking is typically involved with plains game? On your feet all day? Riding some and stalking some?

Any other general advice?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump. Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
See your post in the Safari section.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe krpind has.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't gone, but I'll be watching this thread.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
africasafaris.com fricki dutoit hunted with him  and had a great time.hunt around tosca his home area.you can get any game you want there-planes game to lions.I shot 8 animals.if email wrong contact me and I will find right one.was a great place to stay also.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

See your post in the Safari section.

Arfcom Safari.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the really difficult part will be convincing the wife that I can hang a kudu shoulder mount in the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top