Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 5:47:39 PM EDT
I was talking about this at work today with some guys.  What would happen (theoretically) if the BP oil well was left alone and allowed to keep pumping??

Would it eventually fill the entire gulf with oil?  How much oil is that well tapped into??

Just wonderig if anyone knew some data on the well and how long it would keep going if left alone.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The earth would empty and collapse upon itself
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
"Trillions and trillions of barrels" /sagan

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think anyone really knows.  Most likely it would spew until a pressure equilibrium was reached and then it would still probably leak or seep.  Most things in nature are going to adjust or move to a point of equilibrium within its relative environment.  How many more gallons to go no one can probably say.  The idea of drilling a relief well could slow it down and allow them to manage it but thats not a sure thing last I read.

Any geologists on here to weigh in?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a geologist.

But it would eventually stop.  How much oil leaks out first and how long it would take are the questions.

The controlling factors include the source of the pressure (trapped natural gas, weight of rock layers if the oil-bearing stratum is compressible), how deep into the oil depositthe well is, how much oil the deposit holds, and lots of others I'm sure.

The leak would probably never fully stop, just taper off to the point where it was essentially negligible.  It could keep leaking for centuries possibly, but maybe at the rate of a few barrels a day or something after many years.  (decaying exponential curve more or less).

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Sadly I think we may just find out the answer to your question.

BP has already said that the latest attempt to cap it will most likely fail due to the botched cutting job their robot did to the pipe.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I may have just imagined this, but i thought i read that it would take approx. 3 years for the well to dry up? No idea where i read this.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It would put out an enormous amount of oil and methane into the Gulf of Mexico.  Most of the aquatic life in the gufl would die.
Fishermen and the vacation industry around the Gulf would be destroyed.
The outflow would eventually reach both Cuba and Mexico, causing an international incident with both.
Pollutants would eventually be carried around Florida and onto the East Coast.

And it would all still be...Bush's fault.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I read in the paper that it would pump for 7 years till the pressure quit
Not good
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The Eugene Island oil fields (also off of Louisiana) refills itself.  oh snaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Island_block_330_oil_field
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
ya ever seen what happens when you let go of a balloon?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever happens, the Gulf is already fucked beyond repair...
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top