Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2002 4:42:52 AM EDT
i need a good pair of uninsulated 10" high boots.
i am looking at Danner and philson.
they need to have a good level of support for off trail hiking.

any suggestions
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a pair of usgi (new) desert boots on ebay for 20.00, i'm quite happy with them. I'd also suggest any boot mfg. by rocky

or you can but the desert boots retail for 65.00

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/military/level4.tam?M5COPY.ctx=7432&M5.ctx=3159
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Danner Acadia's (SP?) great boots.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
How should boots fit?  I've never worn a pair of boots like these, just crappy JCpenny type boots whenever I'm going to go in mud.

How much space between the toes and the front of the boot?  Heel, any movement or fixed in place?  What type of socks, etc.

Also, do boots expand when used after a few hours?  I think I read something about getting a 1/2 size smaller than you need becuase of expansion?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out [url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com[/url]. They have a ton of boots at cheap prices.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#6]
308wood,

I probably own more pairs of boots than anyone on this site - and if you're looking for a GREAT pair of boots, well - I recommend Vasque.

I've had a pair of Nubuck Vasque hikers for over 5 years now.  They're the best boots I've ever had, and I wish they made military models.  They're (at least mine are) Gore-Tex lined, with a resoleable bottom.

Cost? Around $175...but you pay for quality, and these WILL last.  Also, they "broke in" in about a day!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 15 pair of boots and 4 pair of shoes. I will buy something and if I like it I will wear them, and if I don't they get put in the basement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the USGI issue desert boot.

Two links:

[url]http://www.wellco.com/html/dmssmdb.html[/url]

[url]http://www.altama.com/milspec/4156.htm[/url]

Nice boot for hot weather.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a pair of Matterhorns for about 9 years now, and they're still comfortable as hell. The sole's getting a little worn (it's the original) but the leather's butter-soft and no matter how hot it is or how much I walk, my feet aren't sweaty at the end of the day. They do make uninsulated versions with the Gore-tex sock as well.

Also, I've found plain old jungle boots to be VERY comfortable as long as you don't wear them on hard surfaces for very long. They're light, allow your feet to breathe, and you can just walk right through the water because they'll be dry in an hour. Find the old-style green ones, skip the middle eyelet when you lace them up (to allow them to flex with your feet) and keep the leather soft with mink oil or beeswax. The molded sole will eventually "blow out" but you should get a good year or so of HARD use out of them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you want combat boots or hiking boots?
Combat boots sacrifice some of the stability and support that you will find in hiking/backpacking boots.

The most important thing is that you get a boot that fits your foot properly. Try on boots in the early afternoon, once you have been up on your feet for a while. They need to be "operationally swollen" in order for you to get the best boot fit. I would also suggest that you invest in good socks. Avoid anything that is made from natural fibers unless it is Merino wool/virgin wool. Wigwam makes very good, realitively low cost backpacking/hiking socks. Stay away from the military issue socks along with their knock-off competetators. Military cushion socks wear out too quickly and do not provide the cushioning in areas that your feet may need them in. Always try on boots with the socks that you intend to use.

I would also invest in some good orthotics (foot beds-no Dr. Schols here!), as they will put your feet in the proper position to take what ever kind of fun you are dishing out.

Make sure that the boots you buy are wide/narrow enough for you to be snug, but comfortable. The slight rub you feel on the showroom floor will turn in to a blister from hell in the field. Your toes should not bump the front of the toe box when you kick the wall with your foot. Also try walking up/down a slope with the boots on, as this will help you to see if they will perform they way you want them to in the field. There should be very, very little slippage at all in the boot. You should not feel your feet sliding back and forth as you walk up and down.

I have many miles on my feet hiking, patrolling, backpacking, rucking, doing forced marches, running, etc...and have had to learn from my mistakes when it comes to buying boots. Danner Acadias are probably a little soft in the ankle to be used in heavy off-trail use unless your ankles are sufficiently strong. I would recommend thier full-leather boot of the same last so long as heat will not be too overwhelming for you. Vasque makes great boots that break in quick and last and last, but you may have trouble finding some that are 10" tall. Matterhorns are nothing great along with Cocorans, Altamas, USGI, PRC-GI knock offs, etc. You should remind yourself that you are making an investment here and just get the best boots that you can for the money.

YMMV-hope that this helps!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Give this site a try... I've gotten quite a few pair of Chippewa and Carolina boots here...

[url]www.bootsusa.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a pair of Danners from '85 and am getting ready to resole them for the 4th time...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
How heavy duty off trail---timber, mountain, foothills.

Just hiking or adding 40 lbs. of camping gear.

Dry weather, wet weather, both.

My choices: Moccasin toe hunting boot-
             Russell--from Berlin, Wis.
             Gokey--now sold by Orvis of
                    Manchester, Vermont

Medium duty--Timberland, I've had
                         great wear and long=
                         gevity out of both
                         boots and shoes.

Heavy duty--Cabela's Italian
                        Mountain Boot.  Also,
                        as mentioned--Vasque,
                        Merrill, Raichle, and
                        other European brands.

The Russell Birdshooters were my Dad's from about 1970 and could use some work but are still functional.  If you have a fit problem, Russell's and I think Gokey can be special ordered.

I would suggest the following so far as product knowledge and being able to recommend a boot once they know what you want it to do, service,
and no problem with exchange.  

Cabela's---all types
Orvis---Mocc. toe
L.L.Bean--all types
REI--More hiking, rough duty, mountain climbing,
    good heavy European Asst.
Orvis--mocc. toe

All have websites and also outlet websites except maybe Russell.

They all have retail outlets and or  factory stores; websites will give locations.
Some have Bargain caves like Cabela's where I jumped on a pr. of Birdshooters for 45 bucks and they looked like they had been worn twice to go from the tv room to the kitchen for beer.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to add to BYU's note on the orthotics.

If you've any type of funny foot, these are life savers.  I've a really high instep and if I ski without them, my feet are screaming for the fire dept. after 30 min.

If you're anywhere near a good ski area, or a good outfitting store for hiking, backpacking, climbing, etc., you should have no trouble finding a custom made orthotic.

They do it while you're there, hour at the most, some sort of mixture that forms to your feet under a vacuum.  

There are variations as to length, thickness, flexibility, etc. all dependent upon what type of shoe/boot---tennis, ski boot, dress shoe, mountain boot, work boot, etc.

Once you get them, go find some boots. Just don't forget to break your feet in with them as well as the boots b4 long hike.  They'll remind you of some muscles you forgot about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
just taking me down memory lane...

early 80's combat boots (wavy W pattern.(?)) was 'ok' till broken in, then take it down to a shoe repair shop and have them resoled with Vibram soles... much better.

The jungle boot was good for warm AO's

I also wore Danners and Herman Survivors...ahemmm  STILL have them!  [:)]

jump boots? ok for dress, pretty cr@ppy for field use.IMHO
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Since this is a thread about boots, I thought I'd ask here about this problem.

I have a pair of Remington boots, and the right one squeeks when I walk on concrete of asphalt. Loudly. It drives me up a wall. Anybody know how to stop this?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a pair of USGI Jungle boots.  Can I assume that these desert boots will be sized the same?  I t would be a PITA to order in a size I commonly wear only to find that these are sized differently.
View Quote

I dunno about the jungle boots but I got a pair of Altama desert boots at a surplus store going out of bidness sale. All they had left was a size 10 and I wear a 10 1/2, but there is alot of room left in front of my toes. I heard these boots run big to allow for foot swelling in hot weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top