Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/2/2010 11:48:02 AM EDT
WHILE MOUNTING THE M2 MACHINE GUN ONTO THE TURRET SYSTEM OF HIS MATV DURING PRE-COMBAT CHECKS, THIS SOLDIER EXPERIENCED DIFFICULTY INSERTING THE LOCKING PIN ON THE MOD 93 MACHINE GUN MOUNT. THE SOLDIER THEN ATTEMPTED TO FORCE THE LOCKING PIN INTO PLACE WITH A ROCK.  AFTER THIS FAILED, HE THEN SECURED A LOOSE .50 CAL ROUND, USING IT TO HAMMER AT THE LOCKING PIN, ATTEMPTING TO FORCE THE LOCKING PIN INTO PLACE.  AFTER SEVERAL HITS WITH THE .50 CAL ROUND, THE PRIMER ACTIVATED, SETTING THE ROUND OFF IN THE SOLDIER’S HAND.  THE INJURIES SUFFERED TO HIS RIGHT HAND, MIDDLE, RING AND PINKIE FINGERS ON HIS RIGHT HAND ARE SHOWN BELOW TO THE RIGHT.

I got this email at work, I just copied the pic and the text. Fucking ARMY guys  ;)[/
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW !
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  Should have used a rock or something.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Fucking Army...  think a 50 cal round is harder and less volitale than a fucking rock.  Whos the fucking rock in this story again?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Get this shit out of here...
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, lost that hand.

I thank the guy for his short service, but people are stupid.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Orrrrrrr, you could just stay out of the thread? See how that works?

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in 03 some Marines were trying to get the SLAP projos off some rounds to make necklaces with, something similar happen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid hurts...literally

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
There has got to be more to the story...
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy shit!

That said, I don't think the injury to hands is going to cost us a brain surgeon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#15]
oh snap
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
poor guy, hope thay can save most of his fingers so he can atleast play video games.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

nice MRE reference

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
UCH
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this real?

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuck.

Ouch.

As a .50 gunner, that is a HUGE NO-GO.

WTF was that guy thinking.

Certainly not with any common sense, or with is training.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
HOLY SHIT!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#22]
It was an official DoD Email, I just cut out all the other shit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm the only one in this qualified enough to use a .50 cal as a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Pretty hamburgered. Curious to see what they can salvage.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm dubious.

.50 BMG has a lot of big slow powder in it. And most unconfined round detonations do not fragment that explosively, the brass case, being lighter than the projectile goes flying further, usually in just one piece. And the fragments there are are usually moving at around 300fps. bb-gun speed.

That's not to say it would not severely mess up a hand to the point it would need serious stitches/surgery, but I do not think it would "dog food" the whole hand either. I'd also expect to see some black speckling of powder tattooing/burns in the wound.

Just my $.02.

I think the image montage is being passed around as a urban (military?) legend. Perhaps created by someone who "knows" the story to be "true".

I fully admit I could be wrong, but just my gut reaction to this. And I don't think that DoD email is somehow immune to the 'Snopes Effect" either. Who's going to question the veracity of an email that says "Don't use live .50BMG as an improvised hammer!"?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn.....that will take more than a butterfly to fix.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Saw it on another board. A big memo went out about that little incident.

It's easy to criticize a lot of the lowest common denominator rules in the military, but the fact remains that there are people in the military who really do have lapses of judgment so severe that they think it's a good idea to use live ordnance as a hammer.

http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0507/Ibugscartoonmage1.jpg

Just say no, kids. Just say no.

Quoted:

There has got to be more to the story...

According to the DOD memo, it really was a case of the dude trying to hammer out that pin, grabbing a loose round, and hammering on it.

That little guy, yeah, he popped into my head too.

That friggin hurt.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Orrrrrrr, you could just stay out of the thread? See how that works?

Haha. no.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
BRILLIANT!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

nice MRE reference

LAWL!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm dubious.

.50 BMG has a lot of big slow powder in it. And most unconfined round detonations do not fragment that explosively, the brass case, being lighter than the projectile goes flying further, usually in just one piece. And the fragments there are are usually moving at around 300fps. bb-gun speed.

That's not to say it would not severely mess up a hand to the point it would need serious stitches/surgery, but I do not think it would "dog food" the whole hand either. I'd also expect to see some black speckling of powder tattooing/burns in the wound.

Just my $.02.

I think the image montage is being passed around as a urban (military?) legend. Perhaps created by someone who "knows" the story to be "true".

I fully admit I could be wrong, but just my gut reaction to this.

Back when I was enlisted we had a 50 cal explode out of battery, it took the feed tray cover clean off (never recovered all of it), broke the Kevlar of the Marine standing over it trying to see what was going on and peppered the shooter's legs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#34]
at least it wasnt a glock
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Thats gonna sting a bit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, I'm speechless.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm dubious.

Just my $.02.

Back when I was enlisted we had a 50 cal explode out of battery, it took the feed tray cover clean off (never recovered all of it), broke the Kevlar of the Marine standing over it trying to see what was going on and peppered the shooter's legs.
Yeah but OOB includes everything not in full battery, so the round was probably halfway in.

From the Mythbusters episodes where they cook off .50's, they do not look like they would do this much damage.  Maybe he was using it like a punch, with he bullet against the pin and hitting the back with the rock.  That would make it grenade and make such a wound much more plausible.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fucking Army...  think a 50 cal round is harder and less volitale than a fucking rock.  Whos the fucking rock in this story again?

Donlon: T.H.E. Rock can be a rock!

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0038076/
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I am just not buying that it went down the way the incident report says it did. Injury just  does not 'look right'. I may be wrong.SS
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#41]
You know, yes the dude that did that WAS a big dummy, and you can't fix stupid.  But there's a leadership lesson in there somewhere - i.e.: when you're in military leadership you have to take care of the fucktards too.    Another day at the office I guess.  Damn.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

that is gold, pure comedy gold.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm dubious.

Just my $.02.

Yeah but OOB includes everything not in full battery, so the round was probably halfway in.

From the Mythbusters episodes where they cook off .50's, they do not look like they would do this much damage.  Maybe he was using it like a punch, with he bullet against the pin and hitting the back with the rock.  That would make it grenade and make such a wound much more plausible.

An unconfined primer strike is going to be the same, or less explosive than a cook-off. With a cook-off, there is at least the potential for it to ignite along the entire length of the case, or from the entire circumference of the case if hot enough, which could cause a flash-over and a higher pressure curve before the bullet is expelled from the neck or the brass ruptures. Primer ignition starts at one specific point, and has (at least statistically speaking) more potential to eject unburnt powder which might burn the victim, adds nothing to the explosive force of the case rupture.

I'm not even doubting the veracity of the incident. Just that this particular image looks a lot more like mechanical degloving, evulsion, and crush/dragging injury and not explosive damage. And the human impulse to exaggerate in the name of "a good cause" (safety) is pretty strong...
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#44]
That dumbass should have used a glass vial of Anthrax instead.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
There's Joe, hammering on stuff with a pipe bomb.  I can't imagine why we don't see more of this.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
What a dumdass. everybody knows you are to use the bottom of your kbar as an improvised hammer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder what kind of discharge he will get?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
What's the sound of one hand clapping???
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Takes all kinds, I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, maybe if he's lucky he'll keep two fingers and his thumb, but I guess having a wounded and disfigured girlfriend is better than having no girlfriend at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top