Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2010 2:23:34 AM EDT
I don't know how many times I have heard this. I always tell them no, it is about 3600 in THREE mre's.

The lastest guy was the best. He is in the Reserves and should know better.  I told him to bring an MRE to work, and he did.

We added the calories PRINTED on the packaging.

Beef Roast- 190

Steak Sauce- 35

Raisins- 140

Crackers- 180

Choc Peanut Butter- 240

Cocoa Powder- 180

Poppy Cake- 300

Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

He still wouldn't believe it. He walked off talking about how it was wrong and they put more in there.

My consolation. I got to keep the MRE.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeap common misconception when I was in too.  Nice to see not much has changed.  Reminds me I need some new chem light batteries
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know how many times I have heard this.  I always tell them no, it is about 3600 in THREE mre's.

The lastest guy was the best.   Yes, he is a reservist.  I told him to bring an MRE to work, and he did.

Beef Roast- 190
Steak Sauce- 35
Raisins- 140
Crackers- 180
Choc Peanut Butter- 240
Cocoa Powder- 180
Poppy Cake- 300
Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

He still wouldn't believe it.  He walked off talking about how it was wrong and they put more in there.

My consolation.  I got to keep the MRE.

so what?  ease back on the dumbassery today, mkay?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
All I wanna know,,
is where I can get the Peanut butter they use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IN BULK!
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how many times I have heard this. I always tell them no, it is about 3600 in THREE mre's.

The lastest guy was the best. Yes, he is a reservist. I told him to bring an MRE to work, and he did.

Beef Roast- 190

Steak Sauce- 35

Raisins- 140

Crackers- 180

Choc Peanut Butter- 240

Cocoa Powder- 180

Poppy Cake- 300

Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

He still wouldn't believe it. He walked off talking about how it was wrong and they put more in there.

so what? ease back on the dumbassery today, mkay?

I didn't mean it as an insult. But more as "He should fucking know."

Wording changed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
0/10 not a rant at all
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

All I wanna know,,

55gal drums prefered
That shit is goooood!

I like the Cheddar Cheese spread.  The only problem is you can taste it for the next 24 hours.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]
CCIR/ PIR: which MRE was it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

0/10 not a rant at all

I forgot to use the word "fuck".  
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The kind that come in the box.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All I wanna know,,
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!

I like the Cheddar Cheese spread.  The only problem is you can taste it for the next 24 hours.  

Cheddar Cheese with Jalapeno FTW! With Chili mac.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know how many times I have heard this.  I always tell them no, it is about 3600 in THREE mre's.

The lastest guy was the best.   Yes, he is a reservist.  I told him to bring an MRE to work, and he did.

Beef Roast- 190
Steak Sauce- 35
Raisins- 140
Crackers- 180
Choc Peanut Butter- 240
Cocoa Powder- 180
Poppy Cake- 300
Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

He still wouldn't believe it.  He walked off talking about how it was wrong and they put more in there.

My consolation.  I got to keep the MRE.

You Sir are wrong there is an MRE with 4500 kilocalories!
Link

I think this is were the rumor got started. There is a ton of stuff in them and they are quite good!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I wanna know,,

55gal drums prefered
That shit is goooood!

This.  And the Jumbalaya.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you mean RFI?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that the .mil wanted soldiers to consume about 3000 calories A DAY while on active duty... 3 meals like that MRE puts you closer on track...

But I'm not in the .mil, so I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lastest guy was the best. Yes, he is a reservist. I told him to bring an MRE to work, and he did.

Beef Roast- 190

Steak Sauce- 35

Raisins- 140

Crackers- 180

Choc Peanut Butter- 240

Cocoa Powder- 180

Poppy Cake- 300

Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

Link
I think this is were the rumor got started. There is a ton of stuff in them and they are quite good!

There is.

But that isn't the one they are talking about when 99.99999% of the people say that.

They are talking about the one that 99.99999% of the soldiers eat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
All I wanna know,,
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!

MRE Spreads
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that the .mil wanted soldiers to consume about 3000 calories A DAY while on active duty... 3 meals like that MRE puts you closer on track...

You are correct.  And it actually has been a problem.

Soldiers can expend 5000-6000 calories a day and there has been a few instances where a guy will lose several tens of lbs while eating MRE's.  I know of one instance where a guy was hospitalized for malnutrition.  It could be he just wasn't eating, but it did happen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.  And it actually has been a problem.

Soldiers can expend 5000-6000 calories a day and there has been a few instances where a guy will lose several tens of lbs while eating MRE's.  I know of one instance where a guy was hospitalized for malnutrition.  It could be he just wasn't eating, but it did happen.

I can imagine that being out in the field, with an enemy engagement or two, and hauling all that equipment around... One could shred through 3000 calories without batting an eye.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
After watching Cast Away with Tom Hanks, I now know I can live on two miniature crab legs, three minnows and some water droplets off a leaf per day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Over 3K in the First Strikes.

There are quite a few people who spout the same bullshit about normal MRES, even after you show them the amounts on the packaging.

Just remember you cant fix the dumb in some people.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Beef Roast- 190
Steak Sauce- 35
Raisins- 140
Crackers- 180
Choc Peanut Butter- 240
Cocoa Powder- 180
Poppy Cake- 300
Gum- 10 (est)

= 1275

Link

There is.

But that isn't the one they are talking about when 99.99999% of the people say that.

They are talking about the one that 99.99999% of the soldiers eat.

I've actually eaten quite a few of those in my day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]
the original INTENT of the MRE was to get the MINIMUM DAILY REQUIREMENTS into ONE  Meal kit..there are times a soldier/sailor/marine is only going to have time and ability to eat ONE meal in a day 1200 calories will keep you from falling down.

An Active soldier in the field, bustin hump is going to WANT 3000 cal a day,,and need it..but, IF he is in Germany or Japan or Based in the Hood washing tanks, he is not going to NEED 3000 cals a day..which is how we get Fat Master SGTS running the motor pool..
CHEF
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:He still wouldn't believe it. He walked off talking about how it was wrong and they put more in there.

Looks like we can't trust "they". I wonder what else "they" put in there.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I will be a happy man if I never smell or see the Country Captain Chicken MRE ever again.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm always struggling to find "or something" when I need to heat up my MREs, when there are no rocks around.  

New England Clam Chowder is the best MRE entree I've tasted, hands down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All I wanna know,,
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!

Theres some PB called American Pride that I swear is the same stuff thats in the MRE's I get it at the local mom and pop grocery.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I do not think this qualifies as a "rant".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Any chance us civilians can get a hand on these MREs? Would be nice to have when I don't really feel like preparing anyting for dinner...which is more often than not.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Wow... when I was in the serving suggestion was tearing the top off the pouch.

Now they suggest ice cream, cinnamon sticks, and china!  You've come a long ways baby!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm always struggling to find "or something" when I need to heat up my MREs, when there are no rocks around.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]
The gum has 2000 calories
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I thought it was just to make you poo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the gum stops you up and the cheese is a laxative. Or is it the other way around?

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
3000cal MREs => chunky troops
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I didn't mean it as an insult. But more as "He should fucking know."
Wording changed.

While calling out BS legends is always a cool thing, the calorie content of an MRE was never really stressed and no one really gave a crap. Its not something a "soldier should fkng know". If some senior NCO said it had 3k, folks believed it. Who cared much past that to investigate?

All I know is I could eat 3 a day and still be hungry in the field.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

RIP Clam Chowder
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#37]
was it during your airsoft tourney?

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#38]
A Soldier spread a false military legend about some trivial aspect of Army life?

The next thing you'll tell me is that a cop repeated inaccurate information about firearms or the law.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All I wanna know,,
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!

You can probably find the mil-spec for it if you search hard enough.  Hell, mil-spec brownies and aluminum foil were posted a week or two ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the gum stops you up and the cheese is a laxative. Or is it the other way around?  

That's my biggest pet peeve.  I've even heard it from medics.  I always told them, "With all the improvised medical devices and treatments that are taught, don't you think they'd tell you about the gum?"  Then you'd see a light bulb turn on.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#41]
The MRE a day policy in OIF 1 of the 1st Marine Division caused me to lose around 35lbs in around a month.

There is no way you can support long term combat operations on one a day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP Clam Chowder

What, it's no longer being made??? I just ordered some entrees from The Epicenter!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#43]
TRANS FAT

oh and CHILI MAC
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There are a bit OVER 3000 calories in a 3x-a-day MRE diet...

Not a single MRE.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Interestingly, the milkshake pouches are worh over 400 calories each, making them the densest MRE component.

My 72 hour kits are heavy on chocolate ones.

Now, if you want serious caloric density, look at a jar of peanut butter some time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I will be a happy man if I never smell or see the Country Captain Chicken MRE ever again.

Haha, weird as that was one of my favorites...

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A Soldier spread a false military legend about some trivial aspect of Army life?

The next thing you'll tell me is that a cop repeated inaccurate information about firearms or the law.

PWND.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Come on, you know you want to try it one more time.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Any chance us civilians can get a hand on these MREs? Would be nice to have when I don't really feel like preparing anyting for dinner...which is more often than not.

Check ebay.com for the real deal or you could try civilian MREs.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All I wanna know,,
55gal drums prefered

That shit is goooood!

www.mredepot.com
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top