Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2010 9:57:36 PM EDT
The wife unit and I would like to take a trip to either Portland or Seattle later this year.  We haven't been to either city, so don't know which one we should choose.  Can anyone give some good ideas of what each city has to offer for tourists?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been to both, why are you choosing these city's ? Seattle gets my vote, space needle for one. but im not much of a fan of portland no offense to the people to my south.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been to both, why are you choosing these city's ? Seattle gets my vote, space needle for one. but im not much of a fan of portland no offense to the people to my south.

My wife wants to see them.  We both make good money, but never travel anywhere.  We usually spend our vacations lounging around the house.  So instead of spending our next vacation lounging around some cruise ship or something, we'd like to go somewhere that had cool things to see and do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Seattle! Plus you can take the ferry in town and go to the Olympics or drive south and go see Mt Ranier or Mt St Helens.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
pie/other
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Seattle

If you think that Seattle is only about rain, you are absolutely wrong. The Emerald City is a real green gem, with a wealth of evergreen trees throughout, and breathtaking views of the Cascade mountains to the east and the Olympic mountains to the west. Mt. Rainier looks down on Seattle from its majestic heights. Driving through Seattle on a clear day has been compared to floating on a cloud in an emerald sky. Go to the top of the Space Needle and enjoy a panoramic view of the city, have a lunch at a sidewalk café in Pike Street Market and embrace best of what Seattle can offer – splendid views and great freshest seafood.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you go to portland I would recommend OMSI or one of the numerous coffee shops

Things going against portland
Hipster douche bags
Shitty drivers
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The Seattle city council passed a resolution boycotting Arizona.

I'm sure Portland has done the same.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seattle

If you think that Seattle is only about rain, you are absolutely wrong. The Emerald City is a real green gem, with a wealth of evergreen trees throughout, and breathtaking views of the Cascade mountains to the east and the Olympic mountains to the west. Mt. Rainier looks down on Seattle from its majestic heights. Driving through Seattle on a clear day has been compared to floating on a cloud in an emerald sky. Go to the top of the Space Needle and enjoy a panoramic view of the city, have a lunch at a sidewalk café in Pike Street Market and embrace best of what Seattle can offer – splendid views and great freshest seafood.

That sounds nice.  

What sort of museums, zoos, etc. do the two cities have that are worth seeing?  I know Portland has a zoo, but don't know if it's any good.  Does Seattle have a zoo?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Politics aside we are talking about tourism

As for as museums, seattle's museum of flight

Portland Zoo is decent nothing uber special
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Politics aside we are talking about tourism

I think portland will take anything it can get
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The Portland Zoo is pretty nice.  You're not far from Seaside (about an hour west) and a lot of Lewis & Clark stuff that's pretty interesting.

If you're looking for a good meal, try Higgins in Portland.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Both fucking suck.

Go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Neither.  Both are full of dirty smelly hippies.

I'd suggest Arizona.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Portland is the kind of place you come stay for an extended period of time. There really aren't that many tourist hot spots to hit in a single vacation. It's more about the lifestyle, the culture, the beer, and its vicinity to the mountains, beach, and high desert.

If you're looking to pack a bunch of "oh we've been there's" into a single week, you'd probably be better of with Seattle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go to Portland make sure to check out Powell's Books.  Trust me...

Both cities are relatively new.  I'm mean let's face it, a mere 200 years ago Lewis and Clark were slogging through the Pacific Northwest.  There really isn't much to see and do culturally speaking.  Both are former fishing/logging/port towns that have become tech industry hubs.  Both are filled with hippies and libtards.  Both are very close to spectacular scenery and natural wonders.  If you come out here I'd honestly send you to Victoria BC via Ferry from Seattle.  Do some whale watching, visit the museum (first-rate), take a road trip up the Island, etc. Victoria is liberal too but there's more interesting things to do there IMHO...
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Portland has one of the highest number of microbreweries in the country, so if you like beer this is the place.  Also Mt. St. Helens is actually closer to Portland than Seattle, and there is also Mt. Hood which is pretty close.  The Portland zoo is O.K., you wont be blown away by it but it is pretty fun.  OMSI has some pretty cool exhibits some times, I saw the Body Worlds exhibit there and they had a Da Vinci exhibit not too long ago.  You could check out the Pittock Mansion, it is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The wife unit and I would like to take a trip to either Portland or Seattle later this year.  We haven't been to either city, so don't know which one we should choose.  Can anyone give some good ideas of what each city has to offer for tourists?

Seattle...

Things to do with your wife:

1) Space Needle

2) Pikes Place Market

3) Plenty of 'outdoor' stuff here... Mt Rainer & the surrounding national park... Also the Olympics national park...

4) Quite a few companies offer 'dinner cruise' boat-trips around the Sound...

Plus a few different museums & other attractions (Museum of flight, etc) if that's your thing...

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I would pick Seattle.... You have the Museum of Flight, there's a zoo, Space needle, Mariners/Seahawks games, The Aquarium, the water front and DO NOT skip out on Pikes Market if you go to Seattle. There's an endless amount of things that you can do there.

Portland has Microbrews and more strip clubs per capita than anywhere else in the US.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Go to Portland...Jesus almighty!!

No sales tax etc...Plus the weather is probably better there..
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#20]
There's also a lot of good food to be found in Seattle... High end or burger-type joints.  Message me for some suggestions on where to eat if you decide on Seattle.  And, while it's true that Oregon has a ton of beer, we're so close that we get most all of it up here too
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Oregon sucks, any state that has a law that you cannot pump your own gas

but, on a side note that can actually USE their suppressors.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#22]

I will extend a welcome... so long as you only visit.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Both fucking suck.

Go elsewhere.

Yep.  Rains all the time.  No jobs.  Everybody's grumpy.  Terrible drivers.

Probably you'd be best off staying in California.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Seattle!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Both fucking suck.

Go elsewhere.

Psst, Its OK,I think they're going home when they're done.

To the OP,sorry thats an Oregon joke. Neither city. If you're driving take 101 up the OR & WA coast. Coos Bay,Brookings,Tillamook,Seaside,Astoria,Long Beach Peninsula,Olympic National Park. Things to see & do all along the way. Why'd you wanna go to a stinkin' city full of hippies when theres scenery like that ? Hell,now I wanna do the drive this summer!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Well between Portland, TX and Seattle, WA I think the cooler place to visit is Seattle.

I've never been to that other Portland though.

Instead of waiting in line and paying the overpriced ticket to get into the Space Needle go to the Columbia Tower Observation deck, its higher up and it only costs $5.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Seattle

Portland has a great riverfront, but Seattle is the most beautiful city in the states. Ya can rent a car and drive the Cascade loop, one of the ten best drives in the country. Take a ferry out to Orca Island, or to the rain forest on the penensula. A favorite of mine is Deception Pass on Whidbey Island. Everywhere ya look is another snow capped mountain, evergreen forest, stream, river, lake or bay to take your breath away.

For the downtown tourist, the Needle, Pike's Place and the Aquarium are a nice afternoon's walk. But imo, get out to the Cascades and the Sound. Hope ya have a great time.

Cascade Loop

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Seattle has better sites in and around the city for tourists....while Portland, IMO, is a much more desirable place to live.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to Seattle if you want to see a city and crap. Evade Portland (Besides OMSI and the Zoo) unless you want to count Priuses and Subarus over in the Hawthorne district.

ETA: However... Just outside Portland you have the Columbia river gorge.... Fantastic scenery and a great escape from the city.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#30]
They are kind of similar in my opinion. I would agree with others that Seattle has many more things to see/visit as a tourist. This time of year you might even see this crazy fireball in the sky that produces light.

I've heard that Portland boasts the highest per capita number of strip clubs in the nation though, so depending on your tastes that could be the place to visit.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump for more ideas.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#32]
the cities suck like all other cities. Go hiking on the coast or in the mountains.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Go to both.  It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.  And I don't care what anyone says, you cannot beat the Pacific Northwest in the summer time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oregon sucks, any state that has a law that you cannot pump your own gas

but, on a side note that can actually USE their suppressors.

Sir James...

I grew up in Seattle. (Redmond, anyhow.)
We vacationed in Oregon. It's the ONLY place I've ever bought a Small Arms Review at 7-11, and a switchblade (legal as it gets) while talking to the locals about suppressors.

But Seattle for vacation. It's fun to visit, for sure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Born and raised in the Portland area and I say go to Seattle.

There really isn't alot to do in Portland unless you wear hemp clothing and enjoy drum circles.

Seattle has much more to offer as far as tourism goes. Make sure you hit the water front and find  "Ye old curiosity shop". Neat store that I used to love when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Born and raised in the Portland area and I say go to Seattle.

There really isn't alot to do in Portland unless you wear hemp clothing and enjoy drum circles.

Seattle has much more to offer as far as tourism goes. Make sure you hit the water front and find  "Ye old curiosity shop". Neat store that I used to love when I was a kid.

My favorite too. I was convinced that their dried "mermaid" things and the pickled guy were real when I was 6.
Very cool shop. I still go there when I visit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Surprise her.  Tell her you are taking her to the Northeast and then take her to Texas.  Yesterday in San Antonio, it was 81 degrees by 7:40 am with high humidity.  If you did this it would certainly be a vacation to remember!  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I go to Seattle 3-4 times a week... Downtown often has a lot of Juggalos and beggars. Pikes place market is fun for 5-10mins before you realize the entire place stinks like ass...

About $20 just to go up on a building(space needle) and pay for overpriced crap.

The area is nice and everything and I'd rather go do outdoors stuff than go to the city.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Go to both.  It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.  And I don't care what anyone says, you cannot beat the Pacific Northwest in the summer time.

this....

Portland....Columbia River Gorge, Multnomah Falls, Hood River Lodge hotel for brunch, Timberline Lodge, Haystack Rock over on the beach, The locks where you can watch salmon jump up the river, plenty of places to eat and drink.

Seattle, in addition to all the other stuff, ride the ferry over to Vancouver island, you can take your car, you can spend the day there, cann't remember the name of the garden....Burcheits garden or sometihng like that, beatiful fun day. Yes, I know you'll be in Canada, can't help that.

The northwest is a great place for a vacation.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Seattle.  Then you can open carry at Starbucks.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Seattle by far.  I live in Seattle and visit Portland occasionally. Seattle has everything that was mentioned before, all of hich Portland hasn't.  Take the clipper to Victoria, Canada if possible. If you want to impress the wife, stay at the Empress Hotel.  It's smack in the middle of victoria's harbor and is an attraction all it's own. No car required in Victoria. It's a great walking town. You'll only need a couple of days there.  The ferry leaves from downtown. Don't come in June. The weather usually is iffy til July.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm 15 miles south of Porkland...been to Seattle many times...

Go to Seatlle. Check out the Boeing museum. Pike Street. Ride a ferry to and fro (couple of bucks and enjoy a beer).
I've got a list of things to do in Portland too but given the choice?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Also, go see a mariners game. They suck but the stadium is awesome and it's walking distance from downtown. Stay downtown for lodging too
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#44]
In Portland book a sturgeon or maybe salmon fishing trip on the Columbia or Willamette River.
Reserve a night in the Mt. Hood lodge.
Ride their little choo-choo out to Gresham or where ever it goes to.

In Seattle drop by Zig Zag cafe for happy hour, best drinks in town.  Eat dinner across Elliott bay at Salty's.
Drive the Lake Washington shoreline in Seattle from Seward Park to the University of WA arboretum.
Drive to Mt. Rainier, stay at Paradise lodge.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Both fucking suck.

Go elsewhere.

This.

Don't let those other bastards fool you with talk of sunny skies and things to do. It's all wet, all the time and there's nothing fun to do anywhere north of the California/Oregon state line. If you decide to ignore this solid advice, go to Portland. No sales tax.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Drive and see the Redwoods on the way. Stop off at Portland the over to Seattle. On the way back don't forget to stop off in Yosimite for a look see.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I've never been to Seattle.  Portland is pretty lame.  

I do however like the countryside of Oregon.  If it were me I'd spend my time on the coast line of one or both states.  But I'm not much of a city dweller anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Go to Seattle, we're all assholes and everything sucks here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Seattle is a great place to spend a couple days. . Especially this time of year (well this time being about next week!)
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Portland has an endless supply of amazing beer.

Seattle has everything else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top