Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 7:06:44 PM EDT
[URL]http://www.healthpluspharmacy.com/[/URL]

Amoxycillin   100 caps.. 500 mg   US $27.50  (Generic)

No prescription needed...   Click on Product list

I can only wonder if your really getting what you order...  how can one legally buy this stuff without a script over the net?  

Oh I just read.....   Importation of prescription medication is legal in most countries (including the US, UK, France, Spain, Hong Kong, Japan, S. Korea, and India) provided the medication is for personal use and is not a controlled substance.
Delivery is FREE on all orders.

I thought this worth sharing ...  [:)]

Realist out
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Heres some specs for those not familiar with this drug...

Amoxycillin: Indications

Amoxycillin is considered the drug of choice for the treatment of acute sinusitis, acute otitis media, and of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. In these cases it is superior to ordinary penicillin. It is also suitable for the treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis (e.g. in children). Amoxycillin is also important as an alternative to co-trimoxazol for uncomplicated infections of the urinary tract (possibly as a single dose for non-pregnant women).

According to provisional studies, amoxycillin in high doses (minimum 2 g/day for two weeks in combinbation with e.g. omeprazole) is suitable for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori (prevention of ulcer recurrence).

Amoxycillin can also be administered for other infections (e.g. Lyme disease, systemic salmonellosis, meningitis, gonorrhoea) for which, however, it is not considered the drug of choice. Amoxycillin (possibly in combination with an aminoglycoside) is the substance of choice for the prevention of endocarditis during interventions in the oropharynx, urogenital and gastrointestinal tracts.

The combination with clavulanic acid is suitable for the treatment of infections with Staph. aureus, with Bacteroides fragilis, or with b-lactamase producing H. influenzae and E. coli.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to get some for an ear infection a couple of years ago.knew what i needed but had to go see a dr cost me 125 bucks total.I now have a stash that my boss got for me when he gos to mex.to fill his prescriptions have notneeded since.Three a day was what the dr. recomended for 10 days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Before deciding to play Dr., be sure you understand the ramifictions. For one, ignorance in the use of anitibiotics can result in the virus devoloping a resistance - though that's probably not news. The devil's in the details, however. In this case the detail is employing the proper dosage & duration. I've seen a few people screw it up in the past.

FWIW, I'd go with ar15rob's method & get a MD's scrip, if only to have the proper instructions to follow.

Word to the wise.[thinking]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just finished a course of this a couple weeks ago for an infection.  Cost me one dollar.  Kaiser Permanente is great, as long as you aren't really sick.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a bad item to put in your SHTF storage area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe that people allergic to penicilian can not take it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just finished a course of this a couple weeks ago for an infection.  Cost me one dollar.  Kaiser Permanente is great, as long as you aren't really sick.
View Quote

Yeah HMO's are great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Steamy Windows is right.  I am one of those and have a lot of antibiotic allergies.

For everybody else, probably good SHTF stash.  Get a copy of Physisans (sp) Desk Refference if you are going to self medicate, (even though it is not a real good idea).  This stuff ain't cough drops!!

And for crying out loud, learn the difference between bacteria and virus!!  Antibiotics ONLY work on bacteria (plants, really) NOT virus!!!!  Few drugs work on viruses (many end in vir if the do).  Antibiotics DON'T!!  This misconception along with too short, too low dose or inappropriate selection against the bugs in question are most of the reason these drugs are becoming ineffective (drug resistant bugs).  Some doctors are part of the problem.  Many will prescribe antibiotics for cold, flu or other problem that they KNOW will not respond just to please a patient.  They contribute to the drug resistance problem and are using very poor judgement.  There are now resistant bugs that are nearly untreatable, raising the spectre of horrible disease pandemics.

I am not a doctor nor do I suggest any medical treatment, only that you consult with an appropriate licensed individual for proper advice!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For one, ignorance in the use of anitibiotics can result in the virus devoloping a resistance - though that's probably not news.
View Quote

An important point.  My only quibble is that antibiotics are used to treat bacteria, not virii.

The overprescription and misuse of antibiotics has lead to many antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.  Now we're having to "shotgun" antibiotics, using combinations where we used to be able to use one.

One of the number one misuses by patients is failing to take the whole series, not fully killing off the bacteria.

But... assuming you need antibiotics, and amoxycillin will work, it sounds like a deal.

Viper Out

Edited to add that Mickey beat me to it on the virus thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy sh*t! Is that place for real? I could save a fortune on my Lipitor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a registered pharmacist in Georgia.  IMHO the problem with medical care in this country is
insurance!  Everyone out there thinks that they have to have a drug card or their life just won't be the same.  The HMOs are not saving ANYONE any money.  They are simply diverting it into their pockets.  Ya'll might try this scenario on the amoxicillin.  Find a doc in your town who is a fellow shooter.  Tell him you want to deal with him on a cash basis only.  Chances are if you have a cold, he'll spend about 2 minutes with you (longer if the topic of guns or hunting comes up) and gladly accept $15.00 American cash money.  Then bring you RX to me and pay me the same way and I'll charge you the same thing he did.  Again, IMHO, the HMOs have caused a downward spiral in the quality of the healthcare we receive to the point that it is worse than that in many third world countries.  This is all done with the blessing of the US government, which realizes that eventually we just won't tolerate it any longer, and they will be ready and willing to step in and save us all. Anyone want to speculate on how much better that will be?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. If you are real nice to my pretty female employees when you come in, and take the time to mention that you are a fellow shooter I'll give you the $15 price on the amoxicillin.  If you tell me that you have hungry kids (or horses or dogs) and AR15s that you need to feed I might even sell it to you for $12.50 so it doesn't cost you a penny more than the internet price. For what it's worth, if those kids get sick in the middle of the night, you can call me at home and I'll open up my drugstore and get them the meds they need. Just don't be intimidated by the Glock .45 in small of my back.

WARNING: none of this will work at your local chain pharmacy, but will work at most any independent retail pharmacy!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]
It's really incredibly stupid to self-medicate.

So, you come down with some lung infection, and decide to take some antibiotics to cure it on up.  You pick up a stash of Zithromax(TM) from this online "pharmacy" and dose yourself for two weeks, and it feels better, so you quit.

When it comes back on you in a few months, you take more again, and it has no effect, so you finally go in to the doc and find out you've got TB.

And because you made your TB infection resistant to that entire family of antibiotics -- Zithromax is just a time-release variation of erythromycin, which is chemically similar to about half a dozen other critically important antibiotics -- you are now stuck paying roughly $15,000 for a one-year supply of the new tailored drugs which are your only remaining hope to kill off your infection.

But you saved a $10 copayment by skipping seeing the doc the first time to get diagnosed and get a prescription, so maybe you think you've come out ahead. . . .

Yeah, it's a worst-case.  Or not quite;  the worst case is dying, after infecting other people with the resistant strain you created.

A much more "realist"ic possibility is that the drug you picked isn't effective against the bug you caught -- amoxicillin won't do a damn thing if your lung infection is caused by a mycoplasma, because they just plain don't have the structures that amoxicillin attacks -- and you just get sicker.  And maybe spread it around a bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Achmed,
    You example is excellent! Only problem is, going back to what I said about HMOs - there is no a single HMO doc in my town (there are probably 3 dozen at least) who would rule out TB before writing a script for a Z-Pak. Are you an MD? If not, you are very well versed in microbiology. If so, would you catch the devil from a case manager for the expense to R/O TB?
Just Curious,
JET RPh.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
No, I'm not a physician.  I had to learn it the hard way, by nearly getting killed by a quack (my regular physician was out of town) who felt that it was appropriate to undertreat an infection and "let the body finish it off".  Only problem was, the infection came back, and thanks to him it had evolved resistance to all of the antibiotic families available to treat it.  It cost me eight months of my life, my job (although my ex-manager claimed my illness had nothing to do with it, yeah, right), several thousand dollars (I have good insurance, otherwise it would have been worse), and some permanent internal damage.

Let that be a lesson to you folks.

As far as MD's not ruling out TB before prescribing, I dunno -- for a bronchial infection I'd had (before the other mess), my regular physician did a pretty thorough check.  That one was resistant to erythromycin/Zithromax, but Augmentin (amoxicillin, plus clavulanic acid to suppress the enzyme that the bacteria developed to resist amoxicillin) killed it.

All of this is only going to get worse if people keep screwing around with antibiotics when they either don't need to, don't know what they're doing, or don't take them on time for the full duration necessary.  My physician commented that within five years (now three), all of the basic antibiotics will be useless;  Augmentin will be the first-line drug (two years ago, it was the third).  And we're already seeing strains resistant to it.

Folks, do you want a world where your children are dying from simple bacterial illnesses, like back in the 1800's?  Well, we're heading back there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WARNING: none of this will work at your local chain pharmacy, but will work at most any independent retail pharmacy!!!
View Quote

The healthcare insurance companies are killing off the local pharmacies.  They require that I use a mail-order pharmacy for all maintenance drug prescriptions.

I drive eighteen miles to use one of the last local pharmacies in the area. Small businesses are the backbone of this country.  I try to support them when I can but it really pisses me off when some insurance company restricts what business I can support.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
There are a couple of real problems with self-medicating.

Resistance is one of the major ones--things like MRSA and VRSA have developed because of overmedicating, and there are very few things that can kill a VRSA.  A lot of hospitals require an Infectious Disease consult before a physician can prescribe Vanc.

Someone briefly touched on allergies--that sore throat you have may wind up killing you if you have an anaphalactic reaction to the antibiotics you decide to take on your own.

Antibiotics are useless against viral infections, and against some other (mycotic and acid fast bacilli infections).  Taking them (as was pointed out before) may prevent you from seeing a doctor soon enough to save your life.

Toxicity--even with a PDR, you may not be able to correctly dose yourself, especially if you have some additional medical conditions--drugs are typically elimnated by the liver or the kidneys.  If you have problems with either one, you may quickly build up toxic doses of a med.  

Interactions--this is a good reason to stick with the same doctor and pharmacist/pharmacy.  Ideally (and, it doesn't always happen) the Dr. knows what you are on and/or the Pharmacist does, and can catch potential problems.  Going from Dr. to Dr. and Pharmacy to Pharmacy can cause problems if you are on lots of meds.  AND!! don't forget that OTC stuff can cause problems with prescription meds.  

Toxicity--some drugs can deteriorate over time and become toxic.  Some stuff has Acetominiphen (Tylenol), so if you are taking the drug and separate doses of cough/cold syrup and tylenol tablets, you can kiss your liver goodby.

I have NO problem with finding the cheapest prices on anything, from medical expertise to drugs.  However, you can often get what you pay for--make sure you get a competent physician to prescribe the drugs, and be an informed consumer when you are going to buy them.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I just ordered a 3 months supply of Lipitor and Prilosec from that web site, which saved me $400 over what my local pharmacy charges for the same drugs. I ordered the exact same drugs and dosage I have been on for months and of course, I would never self-medicate. Since I lost my insurance, it sucks to pay out of pocket, but I'd still rather pay $75-$150 a visit to see a doctor than take the chance of screwing myself up.

In any case, I don't see anything wrong with buying a supply of Amoxycillian (I've used it many times for bronchitis) but only for the following reasons:

1. I get bronchitis again and the doc prescribes Amoxycillian, so I use my supply on hand instead of filling the prescription.

2. So I have a supply on hand for an extreme situation (TEOTWAWKI).

In any case, I would fully expect the stuff to expire before I used it. And you don't want to be taking antibiotics after the expiration date, right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I am an MD and will reiterate what has been already been said because it is worth repeating.........

Self-medicating isn't smart.  

I am a general surgery resident.  Almost every bacterial infection that we come up against in the hospital is resistant to 1 or more drugs.  Some strains are virtually resistant to everything we have already.  Drugs that were a last line of defense a few years ago (vancomycin, pip/tazo, etc) are drugs that we reach for first now.  

I also agree that allergies are another very good reason not to self medicate.  Amoxicillin is a member of the penicillin family.  Many folks are allergic to PCN, however 10-15% of these folks will also be allergic to cephaolosporins as well.  Never mind the number of psycotropic drugs and other drugs that alter metabolism of antibiotics and can result in higher/lower concentrations of the drug.  

Antibiotic resistance is a real problem.  One of the best things that we can all do, both professionals and lay public alike, is use antibiotics sparingly and for the correct indications.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Allergic reactions can happen immediately or delayed. And are not to be taken lightly.

Son, 17, of former girl friend had some form of penicillin for sinus infection.  Never had a problem with drug before, developed bad rash and itch 3 hours after taking pills.  Fortunately, his Mom didn't like the sound of things so drove home from work and took him to Dr.  Been in exam room about 5 minutes and got hit by anaphylactic shock.  She yelled for help when he went out.  One of nurses gave him a slug of epi I think, too many years ago, and he came around.  Paramedics took him to ER and they put him in IC for a day or two.

Found out that this is not uncommon anymore because of all the antibiotics in animal feed.
Dr. guessed was probably from build up from milk.

Damn lucky his Mom guessed right or he would have been dead.  House is 10 miles from Paramedics.

Bee or wasp stings can do the same thing.  Any excessive swelling, rash, itching, difficulty breathing get the paramedics or head for the ER.

It might not be a problem, but if it goes south, you're working with a damn short time frame to get medication.

Better to play it safe than have someone die.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I just ordered a 3 months supply of Lipitor and Prilosec from that web site, which saved me $400 over what my local pharmacy charges for the same drugs. I ordered the exact same drugs and dosage I have been on for months and of course, I would never self-medicate. Since I lost my insurance, it sucks to pay out of pocket, but I'd still rather pay $75-$150 a visit to see a doctor than take the chance of screwing myself up.

Just for my info, do you mind giving me specifics on drug name, strength, quantity and price? I'd like to see if I could compete. Lots of times when people call to shop price at my store they get quoted full retail. When a valued customer relates a story like yours to me, I have been known to sell at or below the mail order price and only make a couple of bucks, just because mail order really pisses me off. You know how hot in can get inside a BBT during the summer and what that heat can do to some drugs? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I've just decided to quit whining about the situation and try to fight fire with fire. Someone stated that the drug/insurance co.s are trying to put the independent pharmacies out of business and I agree, but they have failed miserably with me. As a boy growing up in my father's drugstore, a 30 to 50 % markup was EXPECTED. I now settle for as little as 5 % or less on occasion, but I'm keeping the bills paid and buying a few toys for myself and my family. If you would be so kind as to give me the particulars, I'll let you know if you should be able to buy it locally from an agressive young independent pharmacist in your area. Some of us need to keep our kids and AR's fed!!!
Thank-you,
JET RPh.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Here is a good spec sheet for human consumption and  amoxycillin dosages....

[url]http://www.athlone-laboratories.com/Ampicillin%20Caps.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#24]
As another MD, I will take cases of .223 as payment!  But I would love to take cash instead of insurance.  When I bill, the fu****s take up to a year to pay $25 for an office visit. If patients would pay that up front, I would take that and let you walk in.  

The resistance is a valid issue.  I have done studies with MDR (multi-drug resistant) MTB and I can tell you that if contract one of these strains you might as well be in the 1800s.

The part that scares me the most is the the lab I worked at, this stuff is growing in culture media with no locks or security.  They assume that if they dont know about it, no one will steal it.  Image if someone stole a batch.  You would only need a drop and you could easily grow the rest.  Explosions kill but the effects are not long lasting. These suckers will kill until isolated.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#25]
PS, I will see MsMagnum for FREE!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just for my info, do you mind giving me specifics on drug name, strength, quantity and price? I'd like to see if I could compete. Lots of times when people call to shop price at my store they get quoted full retail. When a valued customer relates a story like yours to me, I have been known to sell at or below the mail order price and only make a couple of bucks, just because mail order really pisses me off. You know how hot in can get inside a BBT during the summer and what that heat can do to some drugs? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I've just decided to quit whining about the situation and try to fight fire with fire. Someone stated that the drug/insurance co.s are trying to put the independent pharmacies out of business and I agree, but they have failed miserably with me. As a boy growing up in my father's drugstore, a 30 to 50 % markup was EXPECTED. I now settle for as little as 5 % or less on occasion, but I'm keeping the bills paid and buying a few toys for myself and my family. If you would be so kind as to give me the particulars, I'll let you know if you should be able to buy it locally from an agressive young independent pharmacist in your area. Some of us need to keep our kids and AR's fed!!!
Thank-you,
JET RPh.
View Quote

Sure, no problem. Both are 20mg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top