Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 3:43:00 PM EDT
Well I'm finally tiling my bathroom floor (why would anybody fucking carpet a bathroom?). The wife is going to be SO happy.

Anyway, I got half of it done last weekend (the easy part). Now I've got to the tough part where I've got a few cuts. Both straight and notches.

I'd rather not buy or rent a wet saw. So I have two questions.

1. Do those tile cutters that score and snap the tile work well? I would of course use this for the straight cuts.

2. A friend of mine told me that a friend of his layed some tile for him and used a blade for his skil-saw to cut the tile. I was told that a masonry blade wouldnt' work when I went to the hardware store (I know most of the times they don't know what they're talking about, but anyway). If a masonry blade won't work, what will?

Again, thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The scorer/tile snapper works great.  If you value your shooting hand, stay away from the circular saw/carbide blade set-up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem in my bath, CARPET! So I tiled the floor. Bought one of those cheap cutters from Lowes, about $20 bucks. Works great! Also a pair of snippers for doing curves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
First off - for cutting any tile the best tool is a wet saw with a diamond blade.  If you do not want to rent a wet saw, you can make very nice straight cuts with a ceramic tile cutter.  Without one you will break many more tiles.

For compound cuts without a wet saw you can use an angle grinder with a diamond blade or you can do like I did and pick up one of those hacksaw blades that cuts any material.  It takes longer and isn't as perfectly straight as machine cuts - but it will save you the price of renting the right equipment.  Hope this helps.
I am not a tile guy - but I play one on TV [:D]

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done some tile laying recently and I used my dremmel tool with a $10 attachement to cut the bathroom tile. It was worth every bit of $10. (don't buy it at wally mart, you might get searched and killed by a mall ninja in training.)
But don't take my advice because anyone who has spent as much on guns as I have must be crazy. Now if I could just afford ammo...

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]

1. Do those tile cutters that score and snap the tile work well? I would of course use this for the straight cuts.

2. A friend of mine told me that a friend of his layed some tile for him and used a blade for his skil-saw to cut the tile. I was told that a masonry blade wouldnt' work when I went to the hardware store (I know most of the times they don't know what they're talking about, but anyway). If a masonry blade won't work, what will?

Again, thanks in advance.
View Quote

That makes since to me, even if it doesn't break perfectly straight the tile edges will go under the base boards anyway.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top