Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 8:37:06 AM EDT

..was just reading about the waterway record lows and how nyc is concerned about looming water shortages. has anyone ever been through a stiuation where there were serious water restrictioins in place? does it really screw up your daily routine? any advice for the rest of us if things start moving in that direction?

also, if there are no fountains or fire hydrants to play in as summer temperatures soar, could it lead to urban unrest?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
We had a drought here in Iowa back in '88.  No watering grass, no washing cars (at home), no campfires, etc...

Mostly inconviences, poor crops/financial distress for farmer, and grass fires.  Flood of '93 had more impact of daily routine.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in South Florida we just got off water restrictions a few months ago.

It got so bad that we were at first only allowed to wash our cars twice a week and then only ONCE a week if you can believe that.

Seriously, most of the water restrictions were placed on residential usage - no sprinkler systems or car washing after 8am or before 5pm and only on certain days (odd numbered addresses on two days - Tuesday and Sunday, even on two others - Wednesday and Saturday or something like that).  Agricultural properties were exempt, I believe.

We had a more serious problem being along the coast.  If the water table fell too much, the sea water could intrude into our aquifer and contaminate our drinking water supply.  It already tastes like sh*t anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Get used to this rhyme, I'm sure you'll be hearing it soon:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down."

You may want to skip washing your hands after relieving yourself, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get used to this rhyme, I'm sure you'll be hearing it soon:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down."

You may want to skip washing your hands after relieving yourself, too.
View Quote

Damn, you beat me to it. Get used to it, it'll be your favorite rhyme soon. And u thought public restrooms are bad now!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe we have one EVERY year, here in Central Florida!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Once in my late teenage years, but since I was married......well......sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I guess so!! Last week our corner store (next store 7 miles) was out of Guinness. That sh!t is major, and creats a real problem!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
As I'm sure LARRYG will attest, in the Carib the saying goes...

"In this land of Fun and Sun,
We never flush for Number One.?

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
We had one in the late 80's. It's probably the same one Shok mentioned. They put into effect fines for those who used more than a certain amount, but if you were just a normal user, you had nothing to worry about.

In my area, towards the end of the drought, people were conserving water so well that the water company raised the price of water so their profits would not suffer. People answered their BS by using even less water.

Gotta love those people. They spent months preaching at us to use less water and when we did, they raised the price because they were not selling enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The Atlanta area has had water restrictions for the last 2 years. No big deal I hate washing my truck anyway! The yard still grow and I am stuck cutting that damn bermuda grass twice a  week!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes I have. Poor planning left me without beer on Sunday.  South Carolina doesn't allow beer sale on Sunday.  I'll never let that happen again!

Yes, we live in drought conditions constantly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes I have. Poor planning left me without beer on Sunday.  South Carolina doesn't allow beer sale on Sunday.  I'll never let that happen again!

Yes, we live in drought conditions constantly.
View Quote

No beer on Sunday??? That is 50% of the weekend! Is that some sort of "Blue Law"? Can you get it at a house in the rural outback in a brown bag?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Back to the subject.

Yep, been there done that, going to be doing it again REAL soon.

Arizona has just had it's third worst year of no rain. Rumors are starting that this summer is going to have water restrictions.

My problem is, I can't do anymore to ration water. Put on low flow shower heads, which I really like. Low flow faucets. Still have the old big toilets, but have put baffles in them. Hardly water the yard, just enough to barely keep it green in the summer. Bought a washer that I set the water level on, set it to use the least amount of water per wash. Wash the vehicles maybe once a year. Live by "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

My water bills are so low, that the city sent me a letter that I don't use ENOUGH water. WTF!?!?!?! I even use an Evaporative Cooler (aka swamp cooler), and set the washing machine to extra rinse.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Been through two major ones here in California. No real biggie, you just get to know the water wasters cause their the ones with the clean cars and green lawns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Drought? Yeah, I lived in L.A. for 3 years at the height of the AIDS empidemic. Afraid to touch anything that wasn't wearing a nun's habit, & they are kinda hard to score with, ya know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top