User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2001 11:34:23 PM EDT
What was the worst gun you've had?

Still got it?

Link Posted: 3/22/2001 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a Springfield Armory 1911 Government Model (made in the USA).
I was moving across country and my HK USP was in the shop being fixed and would not be ready before I moved.
I bought it from California Police Equipment in San Diego two days before I left Kalifornia. It looked brand new, it had a different slide spring and a barrel bushing.
I thought it was going to be a "buy and forget" weapon. I thought better of that idea and went out to my local range. All it did was jam, jam, jam. When I called CPE back they told me that it had been a consinement gun, and that they were not responsible for it.
I was upset to say the least. In the end it was ok as H&K had sent me back my USP.40 compact. That one arrived the day I was leaving.
I ended up having on of the best .45 1911 gunsmiths look at it in OKC, he told me that it was all messed up.
I ended up sending it back to Springfield Armory to see how much it would cost to get it fixed so it would work.
They told me to send it in and they would bill me.
Two weeks later I had that 1911 back.
Springfield had replaced the barrel, dumped the barrel bushing and the aftermarket spring, and replaced all of the internals.
And they fixed the gun.
All of that and they didn't charge me a dime!
It worked great after that.
I did end up selling it to help finance an AR15.
I would buy from Springfield if I had the money.
GEF

Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
A 1970-ish Iver Johnson .22 revolver. Brand new, but the bore was rough as hell. You could turn the cylinder back and forth about 5 degrees when it was supposed to be locked in the firing position. Rough machine work all around.

Got it for free and still have it somewhere. Someday the government will pay me good money for it and help make up for some other GOOD guns I've bought.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Intertec(?) TEC-9

Never was successful at firing that without jams.  Sold it without regrets.

Currently still own a Cobray MAC-11, which is little better than the TEC-9.  When the Feds come for the guns, they can have that one happily.

Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The "biggest" POS gun I ever owned was actually the smallest gun I ever owned.  It was a S&W Sigma .380 and it was awful.  It was a jamo-o-matic POS.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
MAK90.  After a couple of mags a case would stick in the chamber and the ass end would rip off requiring a trip to the gunsmith to clear..didn't matter what ammo or how slow i was shooting. Decided i shouldn't shoot it anymore until i got a case extractor..2 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Jennings .22 everytime I would rack the slide to chamber the first round it would go off, and no I don't have it anymore!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Curt, do you still have the Mak-90?  I need a parts gun for a project.

Balming
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Universal M1 carbine.
Universal M1 carbine.
Universal M1 carbine.
This was a cheap copy of the US military M1 carbine. The parts weren't compatible with USGI. inside, it was a different design.
I bought it on my 18th birthday. It was such a piece of unreliable crap that my friends named it
"bang bang jam"
because you could never get it to fire more than 2 rounds.
I think it was made from the same hi-quality pot metal as hot wheels cars.
I traded up to a brand new $225 Ruger Mini-14.

Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuzzbean,

I have the same POS revolver.  Mine doesn't even work.  Got it for free from my father in law. Had it loaded up and went out back to do some plinking and it just went click, click, click.

Might be worth $50-$100 for a gun buy back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Llama .45 and a Taurus PT22,   Both now long gone!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Davis .22 derringer.  Arnold himself would have a hard time with the trigger pull.  Hits two feet low at five feet range.  Wonderful pot metal construction.  Only bought it because it was dirt cheap, couldn't sell it if I tried.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Jennings J25 in bright nickel. [puke] Jams every round. What the hell was I thinking? [spank] Yeah, I still have it.........for now. [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Marlin semi-auto .22 rifle. Would shoot one round then chamber next round but would not set firing pin. I wrote Marlin and told them I had bought it new less then a year before and they sent back, 3 or 4 months later, a package of material on shit they sell(belt buckles and hats and a letter that said I could send back and they would fix and bill me. I sent a letter back that they could shove the gun up their ass and I would never pay a nickel for any of their shit ever again. Traded it torward a 10/22! Got $60 for it I think so it ended up ok.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Davis Industries P .380.  Constantly jammed.  I would have been better off throwing it at a assailant.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
A pre-ban Olympic Arms CAR-15 with the 11.5" barrel and 5.5' flash suppressor permanently atached for legality.  

Purchased it in 1990.  

After 100 rounds, would get a case stuck in the chamber, requiring a cleaning rod to bang out.  Sent it to the factory once for repair, they sent it back.....and it continued to do the same thing.

I sent it back again and got my money back.

Ever since then I swore off of Olympic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The one I sold to you.... [:D]

Templar,

Had similar troubles with Olympic. However, they would not give me my money back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#18]
A "custom" 31/2" 1911.I never fired one shot without a faliure to feed.Paid $225 I think,know why it was so cheap now.This is when the Officers first came out,dont remember whay year that was.Traded it to a dealer and told him about it.It went out several times and came back just as often.He eventually broke it down into parts.We both made our money back.This thing had a essex frame and cut down GI slide.I know the guy using the slide i think it was the frame.It was a pos with a capitol S
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]
S&W Stigma in 40. It`s gone, baby
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quality wise I'd say its a tossup between a Saiga 12 for its plastic walking trigger and crappy finish and a stainless Para P-14 Ltd for its rails and slide that look like they were finished with a chisel. I never bothered to shoot either one. I still have them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Easy answer! Back in the early 60s I had a Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver. Even with a solid rest you were lucky to hit a tin can at 25 feet. That's feet not yards.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Universal .30 Carbine - Failure to load, failure to fire, failure to eject. Long gone.

Ruger Mini-14 - 10" groups at 100 yds, crap for magazines. Up for sale.  Any offers???
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe it seems like the worst because I was young and in no position to absorb such a loss, but when I was 16 I bought a brand new Savage 12 guage pump shotgun. The price seemed great compared to a Winchester or a Remington.
After a few boxes of shells the fired hulls would jam in the chamber, making it impossible to eject.
I first took it to a local gunsmith, didn't know his ass from his elbow, couldn't fix, so I sent it back to the factory, waited 6 weeks for the return, still same problem.
I finally traded it for two clunker 7mm Mausers at a pawn shop. I had a hell of a lot more fun with them, since they were my first experience with a high powered rifle.
I never bought another Savage I intended to keep.

Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#24]
id say a loricen or a jennings they had cast firing pins that were cast out of junk!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#25]
MY Colt Gold Cup.  Parts broke every other time I took it to the range, and it was a stainless steel gun tha rusted.  Stored in doors coated with oil.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#26]
taurus 9mm compact model.  so crappy i can't even remember the model number.  had a trigger pull so damn heavy you lost all ability to aim in the effort to pull the trigger.  took it to a 'smith and when he tested the trigger pull with his little tool, it went off the scale.  must have been in double digits.  yuck.  long gone!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Remington Apache 77, it's a clip fed Nylon 66 and jams every other round. Shot the first two bricks through it fine and than it jammed every time. I also have a .30 Universal carbine that was given to me. Over the years I replaced the following parts on it with U.S.G.I parts: rear sight,trigger housing,gas piston nut,operating rod spring, magazine catch, and stock. Now it shoots fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#28]
A Chinese SKS is easily the biggest POS I have ever owned.  I was young and stupid when I traded for it.  It didn't take me long to see the error in my ways and get rid of it.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a Haskell .45 and a Lorcin .25.

Of course, both were a POS, but I got them for $25 of of a private sale in a gunshow.

I sold them for about $35 each.

I am ashamed of that fact that I owned such pistols, but hey, everyone makes mistakes.

Now I have a Kimber and a USP.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
old, no name 22 rifle, I bought it for no reason, it was jamming all the time, got it for like $20, so I strapped on the glock and mag carriers for open carry (to young for CCW at the time), went down to one of the goofy buy back/rallys, and with a gun on my waist, got $100 for the rifle, gosh, I don't think I ever got more dirty looks in a day than that one day. fvck you MMM [:D]

PS> one even tried to grab my glock out of the holster, she got peppersprayed, are these people trying to get killed??
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#31]
old, no name 22 rifle, I bought it for no reason, it was jamming all the time, got it for like $20, so I strapped on the glock and mag carriers for open carry (to young for CCW at the time), went down to one of the goofy buy back/rallys, and with a gun on my waist, got $100 for the rifle, gosh, I don't think I ever got more dirty looks in a day than that one day. fvck you MMM [:D]

PS> one even tried to grab my glock out of the holster, she got peppersprayed, are these people trying to get killed??
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a Sears and Roebuch pump 12 guage we found in the top of an old barn.

I gave this kid $5, yes five dollars, for it.

What a POS!!  when i shot it, fire flew out the side of the chamber!!.  The receiver was pitted, stock was awful, really bad gun.

I pawned it for $50.[kill]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a Sears and Roebuch pump 12 guage we found in the top of an old barn.

I gave this kid $5, yes five dollars, for it.

What a POS!!  when i shot it, fire flew out the side of the chamber!!.  The receiver was pitted, stock was awful, really bad gun.

I pawned it for $50.[kill]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#34]
A Century STG-58 on a Hesse receiver.  I didn't learn about this gun's reputation for being a POS until after the piston fractured after 20 rounds.  Although, I haven't had a problem with it since I bought a good piston.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#35]
An H&R 6 Shot .22 revolver. I am almost ashamed to tell you what I traded a Barnett recurve 150lb. crossbow + $20 for it. It was a double action and you would be lucky to get 3-4 of the six shot to actually fire. And you never knew which time it would fire and which time it wouldn't. This was my first and only time I got ripped off at a gun show. I sold it to a guy at another gun show foir $35.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Never owned this one a buddy of mine bought it (and still has it) a AAA Arms/Kimel AP-9 (looks and feels just like a tec-9 but magnitudes crappier) first time I saw it he met me at an indoor range with all kinds of cops giving him weird looks for having it in the first place, then it kept double firing and he wasn't holding it tight enough so he had a pile of sawdust in front of his lane from ceiling impacts. the friggin trigger is nothing but 1/16" sheet-metal stamping covered on the operating area with one of those rubber safety-covers like you'd use on a bolt on a kids jungle-gym. and after every one or two shots or double fires the spent case would get caught between the bolt-face and ejection port front. POS!!

Never had a crappy gun myself, I haven't had enough guns to come across one :) I thought I had a crappy 1911 when I was a kid because it'd jam all the time and stupid me sold it for $200, now that I think back, buying USA and KKK mags for $4 each was probably my problem all along.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Feather AT-22.  Could not get it to feed with any ammo I put through it.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Thats easy.  I had a Hipoint 9mm carbine cheap jamomatic junk.  And I cannot leave out the Intertech AB-10 9mm.  CHEAP junk.  Totally worthless and no I traded them in tword a M1 Grand which I traded for a pre-ben AR lower which I traded for a FNFAL which I like and plan to keep.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Geez, I thought my R.G .32 revolver was a POS until I read some of you guys' tales of woe.  This dumpy little revolver is made like a cap gun, from pot metal, whatever that is.  The only steel parts are the cylinder and a barrel liner, pressed into the pot metal "outer barrel".  It even has a cast in "vent rib".  You unscrew the ejector rod to flop out the cylinder and use the rod to poke the empties out.  Plastic grip and a trigger pull that feels like it has rubber bands for springs.  

It does go bang every time I've pulled the trigger, so I guess it's not so bad after all.  That is, if you can call .32 S&W "bang".  Paid $20 for it just because I could.  Figured I could waste $20 in a bar in no time.  This way I'd have a conversation piece, if nothing else.

Enjoy,
Norm
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Ahh yes, my POS gun story...

Went down a few years ago, when I first got interested in guns, and decided I'd start with a revolver.  Actually, since the wife wanted one as well... two of them.  The guy at the local gun shop advised that yeah, Rossi was as good as the rest of them, and he never had a problem with his.  Convinced, I put the money down, and came back 10 days later (gotta love California) to pick them up.

My wife and I headed to a training class 2 days later, as she and I both agreed it would be best.  We're down there, and I'm having a decent time, but part way through the class, her's is not advancing.  The instructor fiddled around with it, and it started working again for a few more loads.  Then it happened again.  

We couldn't believe that that was normal, and behold, we were told it wasn't.  The gun shop took it back, and was having it sent for repair.  I was a little curious, so I took mine down to the range for a few more shots at pieces of paper.  After about 100 rounds, mine started to do the same thing.  I was not quite sure, so I packed it up, cleaned it again, and took it down for another 150 about 2 days later.  Yep, it failed as well.

Took the 2nd gun back, but found that the manager wasn't in, but the District Manager was.  Advised of the dilemma, and before I got to my demands (a return), the District Manager offered to take them back in trade for store credit.  I picked out two Smiths (which I had almost purchased originally), and they got them ready for me.  

When I got back to the store, I had a couple of extra boxes of ammo waiting for me as well, to ease my pains.  I still use the store, but I will likely never trust Rossi again.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#41]
How about a Frankenstein PWA commando AR15  It couldnt get through 5 rounds without a rather strange jam.  It would take the empty and slide it over the gas tube.  If you pulled the charging handle the whole thing would move just like it was made to work that way.  Could never get it to run.  Swapped bolts, carriers, everything.  Thought PWA was for Pretty Worthless Arms.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#45]
never had a gun i didn't like[:D] good,bad or ugly thier mine all mine "said in my best daffy duck voice"
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#46]
A Ruger Mini 14 that was more accurate if it was thrown at something, rather than fired at it. A REAL BIG POS! [X]  SamC
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Glock 21 serial# BRD-427. If you ever see that jam-o-matic POS, spit on it for me.

The shop owner I traded it to said a State Trooper bought it for his duty gun. I wish him luck!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#48]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1356805&a=10107366&p=44597372[/img]

Not really!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#49]
biggest pos gun i ever own still do
is my 20 doller mosin nagant i bought at a gunshow from a private sales 3 years ago
no front barrel band and the stock looks like its been to hell and back gets liek 5 20 inch groups at 20 yards and the bolt sticks after firing i serasly need to fix this one i dont know maybe ill just bu a new one would probly cost the same
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ruger Mini-14 - 10" groups at 100 yds, crap for magazines. Up for sale.  Any offers???
View Quote

You don't list an e-mail address, so e-mail me if it's a real POS and you want to sell it(Read: [b]CHEAP[/b]). I could always use a spare mini-14 if it's cheap enough.

[email protected]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top