Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2002 12:48:11 PM EDT
I am thinking of purchasing a new full sized, extended cab, 2WD drive, short bed truck.(I must be returning to my redneck roots).

I have narrowed the listed to the Ford F-150, the Chevy 1500 Silverado, and the Dodge 1500 Ram SLT. Right now I am favoring the Dodge.

Can you guys give me some feedback?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the Chevy. GM tends to have better, more durable and reliable engines and drivetrains.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Like you have to ask???

Methinks you've been drinking a little too much of yourself today...[;D]

F-150.  Hell, since you want 2WD, get the Harley Edition!  

#1 Selling truck in America for, EVER! Gotta be a reason!

OK, let the flames, I mean, games begin![peep]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Ford.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Why dont you just pop the 7.62 vs 5.56 question while your at it?
by the way, 7.62 and Ford F-150
Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[b]DODGE!!!![/b]

I'd wait a year though, and get the new HEMI!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ford, outsells every vehicle on the planet EVERY YEAR.
View Quote

Source, please.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been a die-hard chevy fan my entire life UNTIL I bought my F250 SuperCab, 4wd with a 6spd and 7.3L diesel.  THat thing will pull down a house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
FORDs are crap. My dad and brother had them and they fell apart. Now they both have GMC and they love them. Very durable compared to FORD.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Source, please.
View Quote

Here is a quote I found. It's down towards the bottom of the page.

Ford has traditionally been second only to GM in total domestic sales, so we'll move to the Blue Oval now. While the Firestone fiasco has cost Ford some sales, the Explorer is still the most sought-after SUV, while the F-150 pickup continues to be the best-selling vehicle on the planet.
View Quote

[url]http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudgeon/48483/article.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is because they need to be replaced more often.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is because they need to be replaced more often.
View Quote

Source, please.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, and a majority voted for Bill Clinton, twice.  Coincidence?  [;D]

Chevy may not be the most powerful, or coolest looking. But they are the longest lasting and easiest to work on IMO.  My 92 Chevy got to 226,000 miles before it stranded me somewhere (distributor), this summer the fuel pump went out.  So I got 224,000 trouble free miles out of fuel, oil changes, an exhaust, and 4 sets of tires, and it's a full size 4X4 X cab with a V-6!!!!  All our RR vehicles are 90's chevy and GMC, they get beat on very hard by the RR work and environment.  They have all gone 200-300 thousand miles.  

Ford = suck.  Sure, they look really cool and pull hard.  Chrysler = ?  Our 2000 Avenger taught me Chrysler build quality is lacking and so is service after the sale.  A guy at work had a brand new RAM 2500 X cab 4X4 and it stranded him three times with an intermittent fuel pump problem that the dealer couldn't figure out.

However, I hear all major makes in the 2000 model years to current have some sort of problems.  Lately, IIRC chevy and GMC are having issues with interior and wiring components and driveability as well.  That's why I am holding on to my chevy and putting a new motor in it.

BTW...invest the extra and get the 4 wheel drive.  Why wouldn't you?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolfpack, you claimed that Ford outsells every vehicle on the planet. My money says that GM holds that title.

If you meant to say that the "F-150" is the best selling vehicle on the planet, then perhaps you should have stated so rather than making a blanket statement about Ford in general.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I was making the same decision about 8 months ago.  Threw out Dodge almost immediately - crappy reliability and their big selling point "It rides like a truck."  Danm, I'm not hauling stuff.

I looked at the GMC version of the Silverado, the Sierra (It's a little more upscale), and the F-150.  The GMC and Chevy's have a bit more horsepower in their engines, but for me that wasn't a major issue.  So basically it came down to looks and the fact that I knew a bunch of people who owned 150's and were very happy with them.  I've been happy with mine so far, and the small V-8 has plenty of power.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Along with its market share increase, GM was claiming the crown as the industry's truck sales leader. In December, 68% of GM's sales were of light trucks, according to Lovejoy; for the year, the figure was about 58% of sales. GM set a record for sales of sport utility vehicles, including more than 200,000 SUVs made at the GM plant in Janesville.
View Quote

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan02/9896.asp[/url]

What do you make of this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll get a LOT of feedback with a question like that...

You'll hear people telling the same "lasts forever" or "peice o' shtick" stories about the same brand. Trucks perform based on the abuse you give them.

In general though, all the ford/chevy/dodge stories I've heard and the experiance I've had working on them tells me:

Dodge trucks (and chrysler non-cars in general)tend to visit the shop more often, experiance catostrophic failure earlier, have more expensive parts, and are more dificult to work on. I do like very much the way Dodge pickups look, though.

Ford and GM are significantly better in all of those categories, Chevy perhaps sligtly better than Ford in each; but those differences are subtle and probably vary with specific model and year. I would get to know the GM and Ford truck of your choice, look into options, the general feel of it, and the price. It's kind of like picking out a .45 in glock or H&K. Both are tried, reliable pistols, but both have quirks that some like a dislike, and the prices will be somewhat different.

Let me also impress upon you: if you have sufficent mechanical experiance to tell if a truck has been abused, a new truck is a waste of money over a 2 or 3 year old with low mileage in good condition.

Personally?? I like the look and feel of Fords, and accept a slightly higher cost for parts and slightly tougher time working on them because I like the engines, ride, transfer case, etc. Also, I drive early 90's ford explorers, which are so ridiculously common they're cheap to come by.

Snowmaster
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Along with its market share increase, GM was claiming the crown as the industry's truck sales leader. In December, 68% of GM's sales were of light trucks, according to Lovejoy; for the year, the figure was about 58% of sales. GM set a record for sales of sport utility vehicles, including more than 200,000 SUVs made at the GM plant in Janesville.
View Quote

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan02/9896.asp[/url]

View Quote

[b]Top 10 Year to Date Sales[/b]

1. Ford F-Series pickup (600,728)  
2. Chevrolet Silverado / C/K pickup (435,905)  
3. Ford Explorer (316,904)  
4. Toyota Camry (290,201)  
5. Ford Taurus (278,264)  
6. Honda Accord (273,519)  
7. Dodge Ram pickup (258,817)  
8. Ford Ranger (250,006)  
9. Honda Civic (233,712)  
10. Dodge Caravan (210,460)  

[url]http://www.consumerguide.com/index.cfm?act=auto&main=topten&body=../autochannel/topten/top_ten23[/url]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Went through the same thing last Oct.
I've always been a GM man, but, after doing tons of research I decided on a '02 F-150 ext cab 4wd 5.4L with the off-road package.
I couldn't be happier - a wonderful truck!
If you go with the F-150 be sure to get the 5.4L engine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]
In my experience, they body of Chrysler products, while they may have good engines, are not built as well as Fords or Chevys.

Chevy and Ford guys both will tell you that the other does not hold up, but I think they are both quality vehicles.  I liked the Chevy a little better because it had more rear leg room, but bought the Ford because I could get a screaming deal.  I have the same truck as AZ_Sky, and really like it.

Seriously consider the deisel, the gas engines get horrible gas mileage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
What do I make of it? It would appear that while Ford may have the best selling single light truck model, GM sells more light trucks overall.

Regardless, I've watched owners of Fords that I personally know deal with far more problems than owners of GM trucks I personally know.

Ford seems to have a particular problem with putting reliable transmissions behind their big block and diesel engines.

And yes, Wolfpack, even though this thread is about specific trucks, there still isn't much room for vague blanket statements.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wolfpack, you claimed that Ford outsells every vehicle on the planet. My money says that GM holds that title.

If you meant to say that the "F-150" is the best selling vehicle on the planet, then perhaps you should have stated so rather than making a blanket statement about Ford in general.
View Quote
You would lose that bet.  Ford has plants all over the world including England, Germany, and Australia.  They make some kickass Fords that we never get to see over here.  Worldwide, Ford sells more than any other manufacturer.

I've noticed that the Ford touters tell you why they like the Ford, the GM backers slam the other mfg and get personal.  I know which group I would listen to and I don't drive any of the three.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Ignore what everyone else says, and focus only on what I have to say, because I am the "self appointed expert".

I have a 1 year old F-150 Supercrew, 4wd with the 5.4.  No major warranty problems.  I put a Leer topper on it.  Runs great, engine really torques up fast.  Tows a heavy boat 2000 miles no problem.  Ride is great for 4wd.  All my friends like it more than I do.  Finally Ford made a truck that sounds good from the factory!!  Vroom vroom...If you go Ford, get the 5.4.  The Harley version of my truck is great if you only need to seat 4!!  Especially in 2wd.

Search out and find the GM half ton with 6.0 and Heavy Duty suspenson.  It was just coming out a year ago when I bought.  Stress GM version of the half ton.  they say "half ton that hauls like a 3/4 ton" or something like that.  Chevy with 6.0 is tough too.  The 6.0 is kicking ass in the boat world.

You should at least test drive the New Dodge independent front suspension.  Hemi motor is coming soon. Don't get that V-10 engine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What do I make of it? It would appear that while Ford may have the best selling single light truck model, GM sells more light trucks overall.
View Quote

Yes, but again this isn't a GM light truck thread it is a F-150, Chevy 1500 & Dodge 1500 thread. Ford obviously tops the sales with the F-150 in the entire US automobile market, selling almost 50% more than the Chevy and 250% more than the Dodge.

That's what I was getting at. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You would lose that bet.  Ford has plants all over the world including England, Germany, and Australia.  They make some kickass Fords that we never get to see over here.  Worldwide, Ford sells more than any other manufacturer.
View Quote

Ummm, so does GM, as well as owning large shares of foreign brands.

I've noticed that the Ford touters tell you why they like the Ford, the GM backers slam the other mfg and get personal.  I know which group I would listen to and I don't drive any of the three.
View Quote

I guess you missed my first reply to this thread. didn't ya'? Kinda sucks when your comments get thrown right back in your face, huh? [:)]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Being a Contractor I own and have owned and rented lots of trucks.
For the most part work trucks are work trucks.
Every company can put out a lemon.
Heck I even got a Toyota that's a canidate for the so called lemon law.
For my personal truck I prefer a large Chevy that's loaded to the gills.
The ride feels better to me and I'm partial to their look.
Just pick what feels right for you and never pay more than $500 over what the dealer has into it (this may take several dealerships to find one who will work with you)and you'll do fine.
Good luck.
Andy
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[Yes, but again this isn't a GM light truck thread it is a F-150, Chevy 1500 & Dodge 1500 thread. Ford obviously tops the sales with the F-150 in the entire US automobile market, selling almost 50% more than the Chevy and 250% more than the Dodge.

That's what I was getting at. [:)]
View Quote

Well then, there's still a problem, because the numbers you are bandying about are not specific to 1/2 ton trucks. That figure even includes two totally different light truck designs. They include everything up to F-350s and maybe even beyond.

Seems like the sales figures I saw for last year showed Ford with 911,000 F-series sales and GM with about 715,000 Siverado/Sierra sales. That's certainly not 50% more, but is an impressive lead.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever wonder why people get those "screaming deals" on Ford trucks? I took a carburetion class back in 1982 at a vocational school, back in my hot rod days. When someone in the class asked the instructors' opinion of the Ford vs Chevy thing, he stated "Ford Motor Company uses the LEAST EXPENSIVE raw materials to build their products in order to compete with General Motors". When someone else asked "Well, why then do YOU drive a Continental?" He replied "Because I know how to work on anything". Always gave me food for thought. Yes, my hot rod was a Chevy ('69 Chevelle) and Chevys were all I owned until a Jeep Wrangler (rolled on me when I got a blowout at 45mph-won't ever RIDE in one much less buy another) and the Toyota 4WD I own now, which is a real gem. 165K miles, doesn't burn or leak anything, still runs like a scalded dog. When it finally dies, I'll likely get a small GMC or Chevy, cause their 4WD trucks look pretty cool nowdays, and I can get the "family discount" on one.[peep]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm, so does GM, as well as owning large shares of foreign brands.

View Quote

I guess you missed my first reply to this thread. didn't ya'? Kinda sucks when your comments get thrown right back in your face, huh? [:)]
View Quote
Yours was the only nonbelligerent comment by a GM devotee and I wasn't talking about owning shares in other companies, I mean plants owned by Ford and producing Fords.  You should see some of the British, German, and Australian Fords.  As far as I know, GM owns shares of other companies such as Opel and Holden, but has no actual GM plants producing GM cars anywhere else, not including Canada.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Here are the numbers on US light truck registrations for 2001....this information is from R.L. Polk Co.  My company spends a lot of money for this info.

4x2
Silverado 1500       227,707
Sierra  1500          68,147
Total GM             295,854
Ford 150             273,432
Dodge RAM 1500       120,020

4x4
Silverado 1500       208,349
Sierra  1500          65,935
Total GM             274,284
Ford 150             175,690
Dodge 1500           102,975

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Hmmmmm... Interesting new twist in our debate about 1/2 ton trucks. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Gee, how did i know this was going to turn into a redneck flame war...

I'm just waiting to see the little guy pissing on either a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge emblem.  It doesn't get any more trailor than that.

Don't even get me started on the slack-jaw-yokel brand of "Fear This" stickers, or even the "Aint Skeered" stickers for that matter.

I'm sure everyone here prefers brand X because that's what their grandpa, dad, uncle, nephew, cousin, second cousin, etc drove for years and years.  And that's fine with me.

I drive a Supercab F150 with the 5.4l V-8.  I use it mainly to pull my 21' Jet boat, and it pulls it with ease and in comfort.  And by the way, my boat has a Chevy engine in it.

Point of the matter is, i own a Ford but wouldn't hesitate to buy either a Chevy or Dodge when the time comes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#35]
If you want a very good truck with great resale value and solid construction, then get an F150. I'm kinda partial because I own one.  I bought a 1999 (new) and have had a few problems that were taken care of under warranty.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  My blood runs Ford blue.

Chevy's are a bit cheaper and have more room.  They also get better gas mileage than Ford.  The resale around here sucks because there are so many for sale....I wonder why? I would buy a used Chevy because they are cheaper.

Only queers by dodgeys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Myself, I like the ride and handling of the Chevy's better. They also have better insulation from wind noise near the side mirrors.

As to Ford selling more trucks so it must be better. McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else so they are obviously the best place to eat. Wait, WallMart sells more than any other retailer so they obviously have the best products and service. Damn, Jennings sells alot of guns, they must be really good.

I'm done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#37]
GMC C-3 Awesome truck cab and a half sweeeeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!![BD][beer]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Buy the full size Toyota. Used to be called a T-100, now I think they call it a Tacoma.

It's just a touch smaller than a F-150 / CK1500 to get around the tarriffs on imported "full size" trucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I am getting a dodge next year. Their new 1500s and Dakotas are AWSOME. The Dakota with the 4.7 is a BLAST to drive, is comfy and handles great.

The 1500 is gorgeous has a really nice interior and will have a 5.7L that will be kicking Ford and Cheby's ass. This is comming from someone who has had great luck with Ford and no "bad" luck with Chevy.

If you go to 4adodge.com you will find a dealer that sells for $140 over invoice.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As far as I know, GM owns shares of other companies such as Opel and Holden, but has no actual GM plants producing GM cars anywhere else, not including Canada.
View Quote

Opel and Vauxhall are GM divisions.  Plants producing Opels are producing GM cars, just as if they were producing Buicks.  Opel is European for Chevrolet.  Worldwide, GM is the world's largest auto producer.  It is also the largest producer in the US.  Ford is second in both categories.  Toyota is catching up to both of them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I own a '88 cevy, 4x4 6.2 diesel.  Got over 200k on the odometer and still going strong.  I've only replaced the primary injector pump, starter, batteries (twice) and just recently, the tranny.  It's been a great truck.  My company gave me a F250 to drive for work.  It's got 124k on the odometer and they have hardly touched it except for the regular 3000 mile maintenance checkups.  Never owned a Dodge, but know people that do and they love them.  I guess my vote would have to be for anything that keeps American workers working.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am thinking of purchasing a new full sized, extended cab, 2WD drive, short bed truck.(I must be returning to my redneck roots).

I have narrowed the listed to the Ford F-150, the Chevy 1500 Silverado, and the Dodge 1500 Ram SLT. Right now I am favoring the Dodge.

Can you guys give me some feedback?
View Quote

Drive them all and see what feels best to you.  I am considering buying an F-150 myself right now...just can't decide if I want to pay that much or if I should just get an un-fun car that can get me where I need to go.

And I actually hold to the exact opposite position of Boomer.  I think GM tends to have worse, less durable, less reliable engines and drivetrains.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#43]
The best trucks produced right now are the Dodge 1500 and the GMC 1500

Avoid Ford, they really screwed up when the replaced the twin I beam 150 with this creature they have now... it and the Toyota Tundra are about comparable, and both are shamed by a V6 Dakota.

Chevy is inbetween. Though the same basic design as the GMC's Chevy's do NOT have the same build quality or the same quality of materials. GM decided to jump on Fords amazing stupidity in deciding that people "really didn't want a work truck" anymore and has decided to make GMC THE player in the US light truck market.  I am biased in favor of Dodges, but GMC is without a doubt Dodge's most serious competition in the truck market.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I took a carburetion class back in 1982 at a vocational school
View Quote

"Back in 1982 I took a computer class and the instructor said microsoft would never make it and that mac would be the dominant platform for decades to come"

No offense, but your info could be out of date....
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys.

I have driven the Ford and will drive the Chevy and Dodge on Friday.  

Ford XLT 5000 miles dealer car $23000

Chevy Model?  $24500

Dodge was $23600 for the SLT

The Dodge and the Chevy definitely had more room in the back of the cab. I also liked the interior of the Dodge move than the others. The Dodge also had more options for the price.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#46]
My vote's dodge i love mine wouldnt trade it for a ford or chevy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Being a Contractor I own and have owned and rented lots of trucks.
For the most part work trucks are work trucks.
Every company can put out a lemon.
Heck I even got a Toyota that's a canidate for the so called lemon law.
For my personal truck I prefer a large Chevy that's loaded to the gills.
The ride feels better to me and I'm partial to their look.
Just pick what feels right for you and never pay more than $500 over what the dealer has into it (this may take several dealerships to find one who will work with you)and you'll do fine.
Good luck.
Andy
View Quote

I drive a Ford F250 light duty, extended Cab, 4WD and I will second the notion that Chevy Trucks ride the best of the 3 (Ford, Dodge, Chevy).

My best friend has a Chevy 1500 and his truck defintely rides better than mine, or a 150.  FWIW, He'll tell you you see more Fords on the jobsite than any other truck and his company has several of them.  In his experience Ford and Chevy are equally reliable.  He chooses a Chevy because he spends hours a day in his truck and wants the smooth ride.  If I were in his shoes, I might do the same.  Both Trucks have been very reliable and if I were in the market for a new truck today, I'd buy the one I could get the best deal on, though I'd go for the GMC over the Chey model for the high end features.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought my F-150 July of 2000 I have had no problems with it at all. I enjoy the looks and ride. just my .02

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#49]
AR15fan said it first....

You should check out Toyota's "Tundra V8" model.

Very nice.  I'm thinking about one of those myself.  Pricey, but at least they're not basing their design on 30 year old technology!

Ok guys, flame shields are up....

As much as I hate to admit it myself, the Japanese car and truck makers have some fine offerings these days....

~smug
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll assume that you aren't talking about the 250,000 Toyota 4Runners that were just recalled because of handling problems due to faulty rear springs?

The Tundra might be a decent grocery getter, but it ain't no work truck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top