Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 12:32:21 PM EDT
All,

There's an email floating around that seems to be the most authentic thing to ever come out of the war so far...but.

It'll be a series of PowerPoint slides, or several jpeg's captured in the same frame, showing/saying "This is a set of photos directly from James Bond, who was the guy on the ground with a GLID when the F-16's came in and blew these guys to hell," or something similar.

Folks, it's real combat footage, but it didn't come from this war.  I first received this file over two years ago (as a PowerPoint slide show - sorry, I didn't keep it).  At the time, the file was labeled something like "Command-detonated mines on roads in the Kashmir."  I think a reporter with some troops took the photos, and just happened to catch the action.

To answer questions - yes, the footage is real, that really is a body flying through the air, and people died while those photos were taken.  It just wasn't the Taliban, or Al-Qaeda.

So, if you believed that you were getting a secret news scoop out of Afghanistan, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There have been a few discussions about it here before.  Do a search and you should find it.  I believe it was from the war between the Russians and Chechnians (sp?).  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
send it to me!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The slides come from actual video.  You can see how all the guys in the APC go flying a lot better on the video.  Doesn't look very fun!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Steelviper%2FTalibanGoBoom%2Ejpg[/img]

This may be what you're talking about (if not, it's similar).

I've got a larger version, but I had to shrink it to fit the ar15 hosting requirement.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, SV! That's the one!

Did you read the caption?  I got it at work today, and it came from a guy in Kandahar!

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a photo of a Russian BMP, and the photo was out about a year before the Taliban deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
cool!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, rehash of pics from 1 year ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Chaingun,

It's a BTR-80; BMP's (whatever the variant) are all tracked vehicles.

All,

Does anyone have the video as an .avi file or whatever?  I'd like to show this to some of my guys.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top