Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2010 7:13:25 AM EDT
Not talking about your CCW .........but your truck gun , a longarm.

Not necessarily inserted into the weapon , just a few loaded mags  ........say in the mag pouches on the gun's case.

Curious.......Is it legal in your state?

And while we're on the subject , 'IF' you can in your state .........what about if the longarm has an integral mag? Is there a difference?

ETA...........Here in Maine , a loaded longarm's mag is GTG , as long as its not attatched to the longarm .

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec11212.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
We can carry unloaded long guns in our vehicles in Utah. Unloaded = empty chamber.

I've never been hassled for my AR sitting on the backseat during traffic stops, even with the magazine in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Not supposed to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Legal in Texas. Concealed or open. Round in chamber. It's all good.

Truck gun: (Wish Tech-Sights made irons for the 30-30)

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Texas.

Loaded rifle in car is fine.

You just can't display it "in a manner calculated to alarm."
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep. I can have a loaded mag and an AR in the backseat of my pickup. As long as the mag isn't in the rifle and the rifle is cased you am good to go in IL.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Walk down the streen in TX, locked and loaded, safety off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Not in Ohio. On the way to the range, no loaded magazines allowed in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Just recently in TN. Used to be a loaded magazine was considered a loaded rifle (hello shoe-string = machine gun).

Still can't have one chambered but at least we can have the magazine in it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep!  But if I drive through Denver, I need to stop at my storage shed on the north part of town, store all of my 30 round magazines and pick up all of the 20 rounders.  Then I stop at my storage shed on the south part of town and swap them back.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep!
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Correct me if I am wrong but I think in CO you cannot have a round chambered?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep!  But if I drive through Denver, I need to stop at my storage shed on the north part of town, store all of my 30 round magazines and pick up all of the 20 rounders.  Then I stop at my storage shed on the south part of town and swap them back.

What a PITA!  Glad TX has it in the state constitution that no municipality can create laws more restrictive than those on the state level in regards to guns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just recently in TN. Used to be a loaded magazine was considered a loaded rifle (hello shoe-string = machine gun).

I didn't know they changed it.  That's good to know!
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes I can.. I can even have the mag in the gun as long as there is not a round in the chamber the gun is not considered loaded
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
An old hunting regulation in NY says that a long arm must be unloaded in both chamber and magazine while in a motor vehicle. This is generally accepted to mean that an internal magazine and the chamber of that gun must be unloaded...but detachable mags can be loaded and kept in the vehicle. We usually dont keep them in the rifle loaded just in case, so usually in the mag pouches is g2g.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
This will cause some pause, but yes you can in NY. It cannot be in the firearm. Commonly held advice is to keep it in a separate locked container from the firearm if you don't have a trunk. This pertains to long arms. Handguns with a valid permit are fine for loaded or however you decide for transport.

The law dealing with this loaded long gun issue is a NY Environmental Conservation Law iirc devised to curb poaching more than "public safety". Doesn't mean it can't be applied towards public safety in real world application...

eta: beat by 45 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes. Mag in but chamber has to be empty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes.  Weapon must be in plain sight but there is no distinction from loaded and unloaded.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Would that include people from out of state?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Texas.

Loaded rifle in car is fine.

You just can't display it "in a manner calculated to alarm."

+87
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

**Only applies to carry permit holders.

The law goes on to state that you can use the long gun defensively, if need be.  How ridiculous is that?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Sho' nuff. We can pretty much do what we want here.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I carry a full loaded AK and Remington 870 in my truck. Every day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law goes on to state that you can use the long gun defensively, if need be.  How ridiculous is that?

Well I have my permit so I'm good there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Yup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Not legally.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you have to have your CCW to do this, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]
In VA,counties or cities can make carry of a loaded firearm illegal in a vehicle on public highways. Some do,some don't.
So far as I know,you can,in a vehicle, legally transport an AR with a loaded mag inserted,and the bolt locked back in VA. Loaded= chambered

You can't walk around with a loaded semi-auto with a more than 20rd magazine in some of our urban counties however. That's one of our weirder laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#31]
TX, carry your longarm, locked and loaded.  you are GTG legally,
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In VA,counties or cities can make carry of a loaded firearm illegal in a vehicle on public highways. Some do,some don't.

So far as I know,you can,in a vehicle, legally transport an AR with a loaded mag inserted,and the bolt locked back in VA. Loaded= chambered

You can't walk around with a loaded semi-auto with a more than 20rd magazine in some of our urban counties however. That's one of our weirder laws.

You can if you have a CHP.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you have to have your CCW to do this, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it was mentioned above that it only applies to CCW holders.  Which I'm in the clear.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#34]
We can have a loaded magazine, but it must be in a different container than the rifle. A pocket on a rifle case works. It's a hunting based regulation.

I can walk down mainstreet with a loaded ak, however.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Cocked and ready to rock here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#36]
loaded and uncased

I think we can even shoot from the road at varmints(Coyotes etc.)

I do love my state dearly
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A loaded magazine, but not inserted into the firearm, is still considered loaded.  

The change was only to allow those with a Handgun Carry Permit to have a loaded (but no round in the chamber) rifle or shotgun in their vehicle.  For all others, it's still no loaded magazines and no ammo in the immediate vicinity of the firearm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Long guns must be out of sight and unloaded (can have loaded mags/ammo in same case). GTG
Handguns and AR's in a locked case, unloaded, trigger or action lock, with transport permit (to approved range only).
So I can tool around town with any shotgun or rifle (right up to .50 BMG) in the car, but my .22 pistol and AR have to locked down on the way to range.
Canada
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the mentality of some in the more urban areas of our state, they had to put that in there to make it perfectly clear that it was legal to use that type of firearm for self-defense.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#41]
yes
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Perfectly fine here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think in CO you cannot have a round chambered?

That's right (for long guns, handguns can be chambered).

It just gets goofy when you travel through Denver with high capacity (21+ round) magazines.  The instructor in my CCW class mentioned something about a "Peaceable Journey" provision in Denver's AWB but it sounds like it's going to be a hassle if you did get stopped in Denver with hicaps.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yup.

Does that include out of state non permit holders ?Iknow they changed it where you could carry a loaded pistol in a car without a permit. Can you have a loaded chamber or just a mag inserted ? Iv'ehadapermit for years but wouldbenice toknowif
I have a non permit holder in the car and leave them for a while.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#45]
You can drive around with a loaded M16 hanging in the gun rack of your pick up if you wanted. Properly NFA registered of course.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yup.

Phew!

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#47]
The diversity of gun laws often amazes me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#48]
You can carry long guns fully loaded on the front seat if you want to in South Carolina except for some silly regulations on state owned Wildlife Managament Areas that I never visit anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#49]
IIRC in Oklahoma you can have a weapon and a loaded magazine but they have to be separated in a way that the weapon cannot be loaded easily while driving the vehicle.  I could have my center console filled with loaded magazines and a gun in the trunk (if I didn't drive a pickup, I could keep one in my toolbox if I cleaned it out.)  If anything happens I'd have to grab the magazines, get out of the vehicle, open the trunk/toolbox, then load and THEN I could fire.  You could also reverse this and have gun up front and ammunition in back, but LE's I've talked to suggest gun in back to be safe, legally anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...and this is only allowed if you have a carry permit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top