Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 2:40:02 PM EDT
The Electro Magnetic Pulse weapon system may be operational.An earthquake 100 miles from Kabul  
is kind of a coincidence,dont you think?
I'm sure many,many tunnels have collapsed on those fu*kers!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, I don't think I give a damn.  As long as they're dead.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

[url]http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html[/url]
View Quote

heh heh, one of my favorite links to give people.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The Electro Magnetic Pulse weapon system may be operational.An earthquake 100 miles from Kabul is kind of a coincidence,dont you think?
View Quote

Do you know something about the electromagnetic properties of rock that the geologists of the world don't?  [;D]

Sheesh... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
An EMP causing an earthquake?  Pardon me, but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
EMP(Electro Magnetic pulse) can't effect a earthquake.  EMP is good for destorying electronic equipment.  US had to light off a nuke underground to collapse the tunnels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That whole area from Iran up to Nepal is just one big fault zone, the sub-continent of India is slowly smashing up into lower asia. That's why they have the tallest mountains in the world.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah EMP...

And I heard US Special Forces stand 10 feet tall crush a mans head with one fist and bolts of lighting come from the arses......

With all due respect for the forces operational in the Afghan region. Recognize a force of nature when it is one.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a geology class in college and we studied earthquakes, volcanoes, and other geologic things that cause destruction
earthquakes give off very distinct waves (I think they're called P and S waves) and are detectable almost all over the planet. Nukes give off a different wave signature (the main way we know when some country tests a nuke)
so if some sort of secret weapon was used, it would have to cause the exact same waves as a normal earthquake or scientists all over the planet would know something was up

not saying the use of a weapon is impossible, just unlikely
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It is written that in the last days even the ground will vomit out its inhabitants. The other vomiting line is drawn through Californicatia, with its focal point, the Marina District in San Francisco.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Kuiper-

Sorry but you are mistaken.  The lightning bolts come out of the arse of Eric Cartman, along with flames.  He is only 8 years old and too young to be in Special Forces. Also, he is too far overweight for them.   (400 pounds, I believe.)

marsh
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.havenofrags.de/skammy/tinfoil.gif[/img]

Just made it, I don't like it to much
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Electro Magnetic Pulse weapon system may be operational.An earthquake 100 miles from Kabul  
I'm sure many,many tunnels have collapsed on those fu*kers!
View Quote

EMP does not start earthquakes.

There are earthquakes in that area quite often.

It's natural causes.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
ROFL! You know, I expected that one. But somehow I thought this would come up on pages like assweb or timebomb2k, or possibly in Nancy Luft's sputnik forces posts on talk.politics.guns :)

Anyway, small tacnukes or a king-sized bunker buster hitting a gigantic underground cave would have been more likely to cause an earthquake. But still, bullshit. Earthquakes are as rare in Afghanistan as drag queens in San Francisco.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
No way this is possible plus seismologists would detect if/when a nuke or extremely large conventional explosion took place.

One of the astute posters mentioned the P and S waves.  This is correct as the waves propagation velocity difference with multiple remote monitoring is how epicenters are located.

Explosions rarely make significant shear (S) waves unless triggered over an instability in the crust, then the inconsistency of the P to S wave origination would be a distinct indicator some external triggering had an effect.

Typical epicenter rock is under intense pressure (prestressed condition) in order for it to store elastic energy necessary for earthquakes.  Its the sudden release of this stored elastic potential that drives earthquakes.  Insinuating the US Military has sufficient resources in the area to locate a zone of elastic stress (seismic exploration equipment) and exploration equipment like an oil drilling rig plus the time necessary to sink a 36" well bore 3-5 miles subsurface is bordering on the insane.  See Mohr's circle for rock.  Its a brittle material and therefore cannot store elastic energy unless sigma is also increased...

Results for such an event are unpredictable at best even if the area has been under study for decades.  The fallout from civilian deaths is too great of a risk.

On the technical side, EMP weapons are detonated high in the atmosphere, not underground as rock with slight conductivity and magnetism (ferro and paramagnetism)quickly damp such a pulse.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
If we used an EMP weapon over there, a lot of electronic ignition vehicles would be Tango Uniform, but earthquakes??

I think someone's been watching too much James Bond.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#19]
No way this is possible plus seismologists would detect if/when a nuke or extremely large conventional explosion took place.

Would they tell us?

They waited 40 years to tell us about a syphilis experiment in Miss. And the doctors knew.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

[whacko] BWAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!

Who comes up with this shit? Jeez...

EMP may have knocked AOL (Afganistan On Line), but rocks pretty much don't care about it.

You guys need to read the news more often and try National Geographic. Afganistan has earthquakes like we have weather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#21]
After seeing the destruction caused by the earthquake I can understand why the natives there are so unfazed by all the bombings. IIRC, they get quite a few earthquakes in the area and the bombings must have seemed like a reprieve.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Somebody has obviously watched "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory" one too many times.

Repeat after me, Steven Seagull is NOT a badass Navy SEAL operator, space based energy weapons that cause localized earthquakes do not exist, and it's relatively easy to disable a train and bring it to a halt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top