Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2002 9:31:06 AM EDT
Has anyone else noticed that there is much less a friendly feeling at this site? I have noticed several episodes of new members becoming immediately dis-illusioned. Are we getting too big for our britches? Are our shorts in a constant bunch? When I joined late last year, there was an incredible feeling of comraderie and a welcoming feeling. We all still have our differences but seem to 'walk'away from the discussion with some amount of satisfaction and the knowledge that our voice was heard. Now I get the feeling that people are just 'walking' away, and not getting the chance to learn or have their voices heard.

This is a General Discussion Forum, and I know that that means anyone and anything. I also believe that we need to police ourselves to keep from becoming like assaultweb. Where is the line, and who among us needs to be responsible for other's conduct? Are we all adult enough to keep a lid on ourselves without a lot of oversight? Is this the proper forum to display intolerant behavior? Can't we all just get along with adult disagreement and discussions?

And BTW, I think an annual (or more often) rehash of the old standbys is a good thing. If we open up a new AR vs. AK, Glock vs. 1911, Carbine vs. Rifle, 7.62 vs. 5.56, chrome lined vs. stainless, barrel break in vs. 'just go shoot', and all of the others, the new members will learn and get their ideas heard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
some of us do get in a mood occasionally. i like to think it's a "phase of the moon" thing.

i suspect that some folks are having a bad day and want to share. and some are just plain mean. figuring out which is which is the fun part.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it's the fact that many people at this site are unwilling to listen to new ideas.

Not every gun owner is a white, male republican who belives that the only way to be an American is to memorize the Constitution.

Seems like more and more "average guys/girls" are joining up. The ones who really don't live and breathe the second amendment.

IMHO.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nah!....Just give it time.....It's like the economy....It's up and down.

There are too many newbies lately and we don't know if they are friends or foes .... or trolls.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
A've been out thar' an' I seen them other sites.

Cain't say much fer em....[%|]

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!

WHY DONT YOU JUST SHUT YER F'IN HOLE AND LEAVE ME THE F' ALONE!!!

]=)

I have no idea what you're talking about, we were never very friendly. [=D]
View Quote

Damn it GB......ya beat me to it!!!

What up wit all dis cry baby shit main?

[beer] + more [beer]= [sex] sometimes
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm just plain mean, or so I'm told.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not every gun owner is a white, male republican who belives that the only way to be an American is to memorize the Constitution.

View Quote

They aren't?
Uh-oh!

Just kiddin'.
It just struck me funny.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Well as a newbie who lurked for quite awhile before I posted, A lot of the new members just expect too much. the guys in the Accurate AR section have been very helpful in choosing a barrel Evan though they have heard the question 100 times before. And if you post something Dumb then what do you expect?
(Ducking back into my hole)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
wiggy762:
When I joined late last year, there was an incredible feeling of comraderie and a welcoming feeling.
View Quote

Some days you've just got to cut through more BS to find it, but it's still there.

Are we all adult enough to keep a lid on ourselves without a lot of oversight?

View Quote

No.[;D]

I like all of the present mods, & love how loose they are lately. Most of them'll jump right in, & mix it up WITHOUT getting [s]death threa[/s] disliked the way they used to a few years ago.

This "Goat" feller has managed to put together a pretty good "lean, mean, but usually clean bitching machine" (I'm talking about GD, of course).[;D]
He's also made some excellent choices on the "oilers of the machine"...

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been here for quite a while and I feel like some people consider me a troll. Maybe it's my username?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel like some people consider me a troll. Maybe it's my username?
View Quote

[;D][;D][;D]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw some of the whining and bitching.

A lot of this is unrealistic expectations. Not everyone is an expert on the internals of an AR. The same guy whining about 100 people reading and not responding should be glad he didn't get 100 people saying things like, "Use some JB Weld on that, it'll be fine", or "Whip out your Dremel and grind on that firing pin", or "Pack it full of Jello."

But for the rest, I think it may be a form of culture shock.

Many of the "old timers" are conservative, others are libertarian, and there is a certain overlap there. But look around at pinkguns, or Wiccan gun sites, or any number of others, and there is a vast divergence of opinion on everything except guns themselves.

Before 9/11, my local dealer had a long rack filled with ARs of all sorts, and now the rack is occupied by other stuff (cheap .22s, shotguns, etc.)   What happened? the Great Unwashed bought all the ARs he had and now they need to know what to do with 'em.  Heck most of these guns have no owners manual, an ARtist is supposed to know how to shoot, maintain and repair it himself. So, they look around, and way up at the top of the list: www.ar15.com.

Culture shock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
wiggy? we have currently a fund for a stray dog and also we are helping a soldier's family out.
We have many people working 24-7 to put on a circus for us this summer and we've got people posting get-together's and shoots every other day---what else ya want? can we all come to your house for a beer?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now I get the feeling that people are just 'walking' away, and not getting the chance to learn or have their voices heard.

View Quote

(NOTE: "You" and "your" is used generically in the following post)

While we have ad nauseum discussed that in this forum, the owners have absolute control over the content, and you don't even have the rights conferred by the First Amendment.....

EVEN THE FIRST AMENDMENT *****DOES NOT**** gurantee you the right to be heard....ONLY the right to make a noise (called speech) that CAN be heard. The difference, while appearing subtle, is acutally immense.

Further, even if you are heard, the First Amendment does NOT guarantee you the right for people to agree with you, or to slap you on the back with a big "Attaboy."

IMO, let the "free market of ideas" apply. It will naturally weed out the stupid, weak, repetetive, inane, self-congratulatory, self-aggrandizing, nonsensical, irrelevant ideas.

If your "voice" seems like it wans't heard. Maybe it actually was, and no one cared. Solution? Come up with a better idea. The First Amendment does NOT guarantee anyone is gonna care about your opinion.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#19]
ALL OF YOU, JUST GO TO HELL!

Wait, uh....whoops, wrong forum. [;-D]

Seriously though...you get those types everywhere.  You have to have a pretty thick skin to participate in these forums, even the good ones.  Newbies with thin skin = problems, especially the more advanced the median experience level of the contributors.  You get tired of answering the post that goes "which AR to buy-Colt or Bushmaster"!!!  BTDT at a different site, they require you to email the boss man to get a password now.

Perhaps a newbie forum would help.  I agree many of the wussies [>Q] oops [;D] I mean newbies leaving may sometimes have a hard time getting questions answered or participating socially at first, compared to some of the regulars, who can post without posting and get immediate and many responses....[8D]  Why not help them get acclimated, especially if they are new to shooting, black rifles, and gun ownership in general?  We need these people!  A newbie forum, with the right mod to learn them how to search for info they want, learn basics without inviting a thrashing by some of the cantakerous old farts, and an easier social climate would really help IMHO.  Especially the way AR15.com is set up now, with forums by subject.  I know you love me now GB!!!  [;-)]  

Just a little Humble Opinion from, me....newbie[BD], and nobody [>Q]

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IMO, let the "free market of ideas" apply. It will naturally weed out the stupid, weak, repetetive, inane, self-congratulatory, self-aggrandizing, nonsensical, irrelevant ideas.

View Quote

I can prove it doesn't apply.

Can you guess how?
You're still here. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It is my personal theory that as the site grows it attracts a wider selection of society....

and some of them are whinnnny wimps!!

Case in point is the cop that posted this morning that after 50 posts he was taking his toys out of the sandbox and going home to play by himself...

Why?/

Well he asked questions that no body answered!!

Boooo Hoooo....

I posted a thread about a very important event in my life.......

My responses.........ZERO!!

Should I cry and run away????

( note if you want me gone please ignore the above.....I luv this place!)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
wiggy? we have currently a fund for a stray dog and also we are helping a soldier's family out.
We have many people working 24-7 to put on a circus for us this summer and we've got people posting get-together's and shoots every other day---what else ya want? can we all come to your house for a beer?
View Quote

Yes you can. Just bring something to eat.[:D] I am excited to be a member of a group that will be so charitable helping dogs, a soldier's family, and trying to set up a legal defense fund for someone that most of us will never meet!(see oneshotonekill's story) It just struck me today that the majority of non-tacked posts on page one were either bitching and moaning or the result of someone's bitching and moaning. I don't expect us to always play nice all of the time, but lately it seems that someone is ALWAYS grinding an axe towards someone else. It got to me today, this is my favorite hangout and I like it better the way it was.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Like anything else, the trolls and self-important arsehairs come in cycles, and it's apparrently been that time of the month lately. By and large, I think we're a pretty helpful and hospitable group, and a downright generous one as well,  but one that rightfully refuses to take any crap from trolls that act like little kings pissing on the peasants (Wonder which troll I could be referring to...)
Also, anybody that disagrees with me, well, you can just kiss my ...[}:D]
(running for cover)
Pit

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]
[i]okay Mac, remember... be nice[/i]

Ahem... Yes, I can certainly see your point [b]wiggy[/b] and, ah...

[i]good boy - your doin' good[/i]

...and I do agree that there are times when some folks here (myself included) do get a bit miffed at some of the more irritating, idiotic, [b]asinine[/b], MUTHAF...

[i]Whoa there... simmer down Mac... stand down[/i]

...uh, well sometimes we do get a little heated , but that's only because we feel so strongly about things, IMHO.  Oh yeah, and that troll IMHO... holycrap that guy was such condescending, pompous, ASSWIP...

[i]Dammit Mac! Can't you just play nice? [/i]

Sorry. [B)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#26]
you guys are too much!
try not to tear the place up, ok?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, we were never very friendly. [=D]

View Quote

That about sums it up.

No really, there has always been pissing contests going on here.  You just probably started during a time of touchy feely love, or some such bullshit going on.

I have found the best rule to follow is don't try to fool anyone or talk about something you're not absolutely sure of because you will be exposed.

A lot of people who have been here for a couple of months consider themselves old timers or those who think that 20,000 posts of bull shit make them an expert and that empowers them to slam new members.

Don't watch your post count (I think it should be eliminated) and don't try to bullshit and we'll all be friendly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
They just haven't figured out that this site gets much more fun and inviting after 3.4 alcoholic beverages.  

No, wait, that's ME that's much more fun and inviting after 3.4 alcoholic beverages.  

Continue with the mean-ness....
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't watch your post count (I think it should be eliminated) and don't try to bullshit and we'll all be friendly.
View Quote

I went strolling through the archive and apparently at one point the post counts were removed. But they came back.

I think they do serve an important factor on a forum such as this. It help determine if the poster is just someone here for the night or a regular customer. Just as when you go into your favorite gun store you like the recognition of being a regular. Post count is one way to do that here as no one is brave enough to put their picture up, probably with very good reason. [;)] (of course he says this as he cracks the ton...)

Well, except for Tatjana, but she's got a lot of paint on... [:)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Just mind the Board Conduct Code and jump in!

I remember when I first got here, I was skeered spitless that I was gonna post  something that would piss everybody off!

Now, I don't give a rat's asssssss.[:D]

Eric The(OfCourseIStillCare)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rather than a newbie forum, what about a newbie FAQ?  I have barely graduated from newbie status myself, but I find myself answering questions I have answered before - usually questions that I found the answer to without posting because I am smart enough to do a search first.

This way, instead of typing the same things over and over, we can have the FAQ linked by an easy to find button for those who need to know the basics - and they DO need to know them no matter how many times WE have seen them.  All it would take is one person willing to write it and maintain it as things need to get added on.
View Quote

....or the same old questions that I've answered a million times or originally found the answer to here.

If I've seen it around the block for the 5th or 6th time and I can't look I invented the AR-15 I just tell the person what a dick head they are for even asking.

Actually I was born pretty ignorant and I enjoy looking like I know something and helping people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I really haven't noticed a change - maybe it is just me.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
All AR15.com members = [:K]

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#35]
BTW: The forum usage policy is a 404 - Not Found!

Time to tear this place apart!!

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#37]
What I see too often is posts ignored when posted by newer members and it is not always because the content is boring.

Personally I've been trying to do a better job of reading and responding to the posts of newer members instead of simply joining the latest duel with E.T. Hun !!!

(The Hun usually wins the duel anyway !)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#38]
"What we've got here is..."Failure to communicate."Some men you just cain't reach."
(that's why you get what we had here last week)
which is the way he wants it, well..he gets it!
I don't like this, anymore than you men do.

"Get hope in your brains and dope out'cha veins.
You'll never..get nowhere....smokin the pipe.
Never.
You wanna get your lesson"I wanna be smart in school?"...Get rid of the drugs.Get away from the "IN" crowd.Get up close to God.Find yourself.Get in with the Lord.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Hello all,
As a relatively new member I kind of stay in the background a read what others post. I will comment if I Know the answer, and give my .02 if I don't. I have seen some pretty heated discussions that got down right nasty. This has not kept me form posting, mainly because when somebody said something I did not like by the time I got around to posting, someone else beat me to it. I felt no need to argue a point that was already being argued. I also like to get information before I comment.

An example, there was a discussion about hog hunting in Texas. When I first read the initial post I was shocked at the "callousness" of blind shooting at animals. However, after reading the entire discussion, I learned a few things about hog problems in Texas, actually found myself wanting to join a hunt. Anyway, some of us have strong feelings about our rights and can get very vocal about it, I think we sometime forget to play nicely in our discussions. Of course there is also the possibility that we had a bad day, someone posted something that rubbed us wrong and we reacted other than we normally would, and there are assholes out there who are just looking for a fight.

My point is this we all share something in common, guns and our freedoms. we tend to be vocal about both of these issues and feel comfortable "hammering" someone with the same beliefs and feelings. Enough rambling, this is a great site and has a lot of information.

Eagle1911
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm just plain mean, or so I'm told.  
View Quote

And I can be downright sarcastic. Everyone has a personality [:P]

Quoted:
I think it's the fact that many people at this site are unwilling to listen to new ideas.

Seems like more and more "average guys/girls" are joining up. The ones who really don't live and breathe the second amendment.

IMHO.

Av.
View Quote

I knew it all along! [thinking]  Av = IMHO the [:K]

Quoted:
All AR15.com members = [:K]

Av.
View Quote

BWAHAHAHAHA [:D]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Ohhh, no harm in allowing a few to get nasty while behind the safety of thier computer monitors. Is there?
I remember some of the LEO "discussions" from about a year ago. Now some of those treads were NASTY. Right down to life threats!

I don't see a problem as of late.

Look at this this way:
This site is saving lives by allowing communist liberal trolls to get in a few bashes without getting swiss cheesed. Yes, a huge public service. [:D]

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#44]
There has been a definite and steady increase in hostility here since late 1999.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
bunghole=[:K]

View Quote

Mister Chairman, the floor has a second!

TheRedGoat

PS, nah, Bunghole is a SUPER nice guy!  Don;t let the name fool ya'll.  He is just a hunk of wood from a wooden cask.   ROFL
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#46]
WTF  read, write or get the f**k out of the way!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]
My research indicates that things started going into the sh1tter about the time people started getting all bent outta shape with the 'Babe o' the day' postings.

Was a lot more fun before people had to be spoon-fed their forum content.

[i]"...oh dear me! what ever would I do if I was browsing the forum and accidentally clicked on a thread labeled 'Babe of the Day' and my 12 year old daughter walked in....please do it for the children!!!"[/i]

But that's just my take.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys are ALL still too touchy-feely for me... yuck. Piss off if ya don't like what I have to say! Most people suck. They are weak minded, weak willed, and weak spirited. They don't care about anything except getting theirs, and have no honor at all. I'm generally sick of the whole lot. God help me, and to hell with them!  

(Well, I suppose SOME people are ok...as long as they like Rifles and handguns...and at least TRY to be honest with themselves.)

[8D]

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Man, someone always has to cry about people not getting along don't they.

Why are some people SO afraid of a bit of controversy?

I remember when I thought the Mods were too tough. Until I realized the job they were doing, and the balancing act it entailed.

I think that the atmosphere here is as good as I've seen it in a long while.

Not all people get along all the time. Especially when it comes to issues concerning politics and religion.

But I think that's a good thing. Even when it becomes heated. It keeps everyone on their toes, as well as keeping people thinking about their beliefs.

And as far as some of the pissing matches that go on, who cares as long as it doesn't get real ugly (death threats, gay porn spam, FBI involvement, scat posts).

Again, people don't always get along, and that's going to show.

I've been involved in more than a few. But (and not to get too touchy feelie here) for the most part that stuff goes under the bridge and people get over it.

Maybe people just shouldn't be so thin skinned sometimes.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've rambled on so long that I've stuck to the original post exactly. But I think it addresses it to some degree.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Stormbringer, I did check out your page. Just couldn't dl the program and listen to it. Couldn't post for awhile too, computer was/is messed up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top