Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 9:15:23 AM EDT
The board is way too calm today. So here’s a lively topic for us to chew on…

The anti’s want national gun registration, we don’t. At the very least, the anti’s want to register us the gun owners and we don’t.  Let’s think about this for a minute …

I think 38 states have a concealed carry license, which, if you have one means you are registered. Several people have class III weapons which mean you are registered.

What if we as a group (gun owners) we say OK you can register us as gun owners provided we get a national carry permit valid in all 50 states. No exceptions. Any person who applies and has a clean record gets one. Also this permit will supercede all state laws.
A national campaign is put forward to push this idea to ensure the public understand this will finally close the “gun show” loophole, ensure no felon can get a gun, and allow for a safer environment in the streets of this nation.

OK guys calm down……

I put this to a guy I know who is very anti-gun and from NYC. He screamed that it wasn’t fair to NY and other big cities because then just anyone could carry a gun. I pointed out that this was a compromise you anti’s get something and so do we.  He then told me ….

“It’s not constitutional”

So I asked him how it felt and walked away. The point of this is it just shows you the following:

1. These folks don’t understand the constitution.
2. The only compromise they want is from us.
3. When you use the same terms they do….Gun show loophole, safer environment etc. they get really pissed off.

I would like to see Schumer and his kind respond to this too. We know they aren’t for safer streets they simply want to disarm us. They would fight this tooth and nail because it will allow people to finally carry when they go to NYC or any other major city and prove to everyone how hypocritical these guys are.

Don’t flame me guys, I really don’t want to get on anymore lists. But it is a true story and I thought I’d share it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Methinks I'll bounce that idea off of a few of my anti-gun friends and profs and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

R35
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
PCGOD,

if that were a compromise, maybe some Anti's would go for it, thinking that registration would DO something.  (it really won't... if we recall New Zealand threw out their registration because it was useless)

Most of us would hate to be registered, but if it worked out like you proposed, like a national CCW, I'd ONLY go for it if it included provisions PERMANENTLY RESTRICTING any sort of registration of my arms, and PERMANENTLY restricted any retention of my name/address in any lists.  

The government should only maintain lists of CRIMINALS.  I have no problem providing positive ID, and having to go through a background check at the point of sale, as long as it's INSTANT.

I really don't think many other gunnies would go for what you propose, but it's good idea to debate with some anti's... see how they react to a proposed 'compromise'

M@
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top